The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12582
    Rewatched series 1 of House of the Dragon, now three episodes into Series 2 and really enjoying it. Shame about the slightly dodgy CGI but the plot lines make up for it. 

Also noticed that Series 3 of Vikings Valhalla has launched on Netflix, so that’ll be next in the queue. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Second series of Extraordinary on Disney. I’d struggle to say that I enjoyed it as much as the first. Lots of young people’s music and ELO. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3288
    Kurtis said:
    Just watching "The man with 1000 kids"

Mad how these things can happen, how quickly it can escalate, and the potential impact it can have.

EDIT and by the looks of it it's still going to happen! 

I can't remember what the documentary is called, it's about the same thing, though done purposely by women who had sort of started a ''commune'' - basically it was an area of a city in America that was extremely popular and highly populated with lesbian couples nothing strange or out there.  The documentary was actually filmed when the children of the ''original'' families had married and had their own children.  And to me the unintended consequences of what happened in that part and America - a lot ''2nd generation'' families found out that they where married and had had children with their half siblings, is just as scary as what Jonathan Meijer did.  And this wasn't some poor neighbourhood out in the middle of nowhere in the deep south, rather an extremely trendy, expensive and sought after area in California. 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1021
    Just started watching 'Lost' on Netflix. It's about the survivors of plane crash on an unknown and mysterious tropical island.

For some time, I've felt that a lot of American drama includes stunning models who can act a bit, rather than great actors who look credible. In 'Lost,' unless the character is old or a 'novelty' part, we get a bevvy of great-looking people delivering unspectacular, cookie-cutter performances. In this, there's a stark contrast with 'Baby Reindeer,' which featured some truly remarkable and moving performances from some very ordinary-looking people.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6342
    Timcito said:
    Just started watching 'Lost' on Netflix. 
    Get out now, while your investment is minimal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    goldtop said:
    Timcito said:
    Absolutely this. I’ve waded through the whole thing once. Never again. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10551
    boogieman said:
    goldtop said:
    Timcito said:

I never actually finished it back in the day. Still have no idea how it ended.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    edited July 13
    boogieman said:
    goldtop said:
    Timcito said:

Think of the shittest laziest ending you could imagine after episode 1 and you’d be on the right lines. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2976
    boogieman said:
    goldtop said:
    Timcito said:

Those of us who watched it are still wondering how the very fek they had the balls to end it the way they did.

edited July 13
    So, a universal thumbs down, then. It certainly seems a bit lackluster from the first few episodes, despite the extravagance of the setting: a magical island which seems part imagination and from which escape appears at least conventionally unlikely. Also, we have a dazzling array of characters: the dashing doctor; the beautiful woman with a mysterious criminal past; a Korean couple from a 'big boss' type family; a Zen-type older man; a funny, fat good-guy loser type; a hot, spoilt model; a rock band druggie; etc. etc. It reminds me a bit of Black Sails, another drama that had all the ingredients of a great production but which somehow wasn't ... great, that is.

In fact, the sum total gives the impression that the creators fed a request for 'ultimate adventure-drama series' into A.I and this is what they (and we!) got. I wonder if we're going to see more of this kind of theoretically fantastic show that comes out of the mix like fallen souffle! 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1372
    Apparently the ending was nothing like what the writers had wanted.  There's a bit of press around Lost after it has gone on to Netflix so worth reading if, like me, you also thought it was such a lame ending.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    boogieman said:
    goldtop said:
    Timcito said:

Those of us who watched it are still wondering how the very fek they had the balls to end it the way they did.
    Agree with all this. It promises so much, but is unrewarding. Ties itself in knots trying to spin it out for a million seasons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    I think we stopped with lost somewhere in the second season. I've read a lot of critical comments about how badly it ended that part of me wants to watch the whole thing just so I can see for myself. 
    I did like the 1st season though, that was fun.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    VimFuego said:
    I think we stopped with lost somewhere in the second season. I've read a lot of critical comments about how badly it ended that part of me wants to watch the whole thing just so I can see for myself. 
    Yep, they had a great idea for one season and then had a huge hit and had to make it up as they went along.  The reality is there was no way to tie up the story into anything coherent.  
    munckee said:
    VimFuego said:
    Yep, they had a great idea for one season and then had a huge hit and had to make it up as they went along.  The reality is there was no way to tie up the story into anything coherent.  
    From what I've seen so far, I'd have thought they could develop the idea of an island whose reality can be altered by human projection. With some of the volatile and antisocial survivors of the crash, that could make for an interesting turn of events.
    You know when the scriptwriters are stuck for ideas when one of them comes up with “hey I’ve got an idea how to resolve the problem …… time travel!!” “Fuck, yeah! You’re a genius!!!”
    VimFuego said:
    Yep, I'm up to episode 11 in season 1, and I'm hooked!
  • euaneuan Frets: 1714
    I stopped watching Lost after the first season as it was one of the many casualties of the time where Channel 4 would take a risk with a US drama, it would be a hit and then Sky would outbid for subsequent seasons.
    Started on High Country (BBC/ iplayer). Australian crime drama set in the wilds of Victoria, concerning a female police sergeant who’s gone out to work in a rural station for reasons as yet unknown. She’s gay, half aborigine and has a troubled teenage daughter via her partner, so a lot of the PC bases are covered, although rather unsubtly. The scenery is stunning, the acting less so, although the Irish ex police chief plays a pretty good part. It’s intriguing enough to keep me watching. 

Pushing on with House of the Dragon S2. It’s almost there on a level with Game of Thrones in terms of plot, although it still hasn’t got GoT’s huge scale and I don’t feel much commitment to any of the characters, well so far. Episode 4 has an extremely eye opening moment of graphic sex.…no spoilers, but don’t watch it with your granny or the kids. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550

boogieman said:
    Started on High Country (BBC/ iplayer). Australian crime drama set in the wilds of Victoria, concerning a female police sergeant who’s gone out to work in a rural station for reasons as yet unknown. She’s gay, half aborigine and has a troubled teenage daughter via her partner, so a lot of the PC bases are covered, although rather unsubtly. The scenery is stunning, the acting less so, although the Irish ex police chief plays a pretty good part. It’s intriguing enough to keep me watching. 

I watched episode 1 and wasn't entirely gripped, the Irish guy was the grandad in Derry Girls. 
    I did wonder if @octatonic knew that area at all, the 'alps' region of Victoria as, IIRC, he's from Tasmania so it's relatively nearby (in Australian terms). Incredibly pretty area and probably not many people's mental image of Australia. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.