Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finished Shots - Trini Lopez 335 ish Tribute

What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    The second back and sides are now thicknessed to around 1.9mm and so the next set of radius-shaped braces can be glued:

Next job is cutting and bending the second side and end cap.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And we have a pair of bookmatched backs :)

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    And we have a pair of bookmatched backs :)

superb!

I'm almost tempted to have two, with the second sporting a walnut front and an ebony back :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    meltedbuzzbox said:

superb!

I'm almost tempted to have two, with the second sporting a walnut front and an ebony back :-)
    Now you're talking the language I like ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Second side cut and bent, here drying off in the mould:

And the kerfed linings have arrived!  :)

Here they are being glued using the old 'clothes pegs and rubber band' trick:

Tomorrow, I should be able to do the same with the other side:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And, we have two backs ready for trimming :)

These two are around 1.5lbs together...not bad so far.  Now where's that lightweight ebony... ;)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And it's time to cut the ebony - although it will be a while before this can be glued in place.

I used the modded mould to chalk the outline:

You can see how close the outline gets to the side, top and bottom on the widest piece of ebony I could find!

And cut (always) oversize.  This is the cut pieces actually resting on the back assemblies:

Total weight of the backs and tops together is 3 1/2 lbs.  Not bad, although you have to remember that there is a through neck to add to that!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And so I'll be moving into a 'planning before doing' phase over the next couple of weeks - not least because there are some grandparenting duties looming which means 'moving all your mess out of the way'  ;)

But there's a lot to get right and it is worth the pondering without the temptation of cutting or gluing something before I'm sure!

This is where I'm at with the wings:

The ebony is around 6mm thick and will have a subtle top carve, following the same sort of curve as the back, a couple of diamond 'f' holes and some weight relief scoops in the underneath.  And some very careful routing for the switches.

Switches?

Yes - we're going Jaguar switch system, back mounted.

"And so I'll be moving into a 'planning before doing' phase over the next couple of weeks"  :)

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    It's looking spectacular Andy!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    It's looking spectacular Andy!
  • Family commitments/holiday sorted and we're back to it :)

The timber for the neck arrived a couple of weeks ago from David Dyke.  Remembering that the timbers will darken and the maple will yellow a touch once the finish is on, this is broadly how it will look front and back when it's glued and sized up:

The first lamination is in the clamps gluing up as I type :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mahogany is now cut to a couple of mm wider than final width and 4 of the 5 pieces are glued:

• And so that's pretty much all the structural components available except for the fretboard blank, which will be ordered this week:

Just got to turn them into a decent, playable guitar now, then!

*gulp*
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The progress from now on will be a myriad of small, straightforward jobs and a few big and scary ones!

This is in the first category - gluing the cutaway sides:
    Number 2 is gluing:

While Number 1 is glued and the excess removed, ready - at some stage - for the bottom edge to be routed for the maple binding:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    The next stage is a bit chicken and egg.

I have to cut the access hatches (yes - absolutely NO to feeding everything through the 'f' holes ) but therefore I need to agree with @meltedbuzzbox ; the best place for the Jaguar-type slider switches.  And, actually, that's not such a straightforward decision with so much stuff going on with the top.

So, to help envisage it, I set about cutting the diamond 'f' holes.

I drew their basic positions up:

And marked up and cut them out slightly undersize - I will finish size them by hand before binding them with maple.

And that meant I could do a more realistic mockup for @meltedbuzzbox ; in terms of where he would prefer the switches and knobs to go (still under consideration but we are probably looking at a triple row of slider switches (no plate) and two of three pots)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow would you look at that!
    I think I have an idea. I'll mull it over tonight and get back in touch sir
  • Wow would you look at that!
    I think I have an idea. I'll mull it over tonight and get back in touch sir
    :)

• For straightening up the edges of the diamonds I used the humble cabinet scraper (a simple cheap scraper set is probably the best 'usefulness vs cost' tool you are likely to ever get!) and a small sanding block cut from a plywood offcut:

A very sharp chisel and then a highly sophisticated clamping system to hold the bits in place while the glue was drying:

One done, one still to go :)

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Both done :)

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Can I have f holes? :)

It's looking great Andy!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom