Which offset

What's Hot

Comments

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    I know offset refers specifically to the body shape, but I think the vibrato unit and those behind the bridge resonances are nearly the defining feature of what gives a JM or Jag its sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    I concur with that.

The other common "problem" is that of set-up. People forget that Leo, Don et al designed those guitars to work with what we now consider Medium gauge strings. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I would like another Jazzmaster but for now I am thoroughly happy with my Johnny Marr Jaguar. I will join in with an offset on a rug photo...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 525
    What do you all think is a fair selling price for a CIJ Jazzmaster (2002-4) in excellent condition? All usual mods already done, incl Lollar pickups. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    26.2 said:
    What do you all think is a fair selling price for a CIJ Jazzmaster (2002-4) in excellent condition? All usual mods already done, incl Lollar pickups. 
    About £800-850 depending on colour in today’s market I’d say 
    26.2 said:
    That’s good info - thanks. It’s Candy Apple Red - actually Old CAR I think it’s called. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    26.2 said:
    26.2 said:
    That’s good info - thanks. It’s Candy Apple Red - actually Old CAR I think it’s called. 
    Very nice. I’d like it myself! Time was that you’d pay about £500 for that, but prices have rocketed. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    26.2 said:
    26.2 said:
    Very nice. I’d like it myself! Time was that you’d pay about £500 for that, but prices have rocketed. 
    Not much before that they were 350.
    Crazy shizzle
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    The standard advice used to be to strip out all of the upgrades and restore the guitar to as near as possible original specification immediately prior to sale. Let the buyer choose his/her own upgrades. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    edited May 2021
    Can I join on with another rugshot?
    Squier Jaguar 

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    26.2 said:
    26.2 said:
    Yes I noticed that. It’s my least played guitar and I need to sell a couple to bring in a couple - still deciding really. It may well find its way onto the classified pages soon. We’ll see. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    edited May 2021
    Just to add my 2p..

I got into owning offsets through the Jazzmaster (and watching Nels Cline on Letterman with Wilco making ungodly/wonderful noises with one) and went through many hoops with it. I've owned literally everything from a Squier up to AVRI and even built my own using the highest quality parts available. A couple of them were truly epic - especially the last one I had... but I could never make it work for me either live or in the studio. 

I bought a Jaguar just to try one out - having previously thought they were a bit "joke shop", if I'm honest. I used to sell Fenders in the early 90s in a shop and the Jap ones we had in were dreadfully badly set up, the pickups were awful and generally, they were only bought by people being wilfully awkward or had seen too many MBV gigs (you could spot them easily though... they were deaf). Since then, I've revised my opinion *massively* and I've owned a few Jags - the Jap one I imported from Ishibashi was incredible (shouldn't have sold it to to @HarrySeven really... ) and the Classic Lacquer one I had was superb (sold to pay some bills...). TBH, I clicked with the Jag far more than the Jazzmaster and in a studio setting, they are so useful as they track so well.

Oh and the Suede video above... I've heard Richard play that more times than I care to remember live (I was a massive Suede fan) and tbh, I think he needed a better guitar tuner and a tech who could set the intonation better... I've heard that much more "in tune" than that but yes the basic tone is pure Jaguar. An awful lot of Coming Up was tracked with a Jaguar but in fact, the song that everyone think is played on one due to the wiry tone, Beautiful Ones, is played on a Les Paul GoldTop - with all the bass end EQ'd out on the desk. Great opening riff, though.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited May 2021
    impmann said:

Oh and the Suede video above... I've heard Richard play that more times than I care to remember live (I was a massive Suede fan) and tbh, I think he needed a better guitar tuner and a tech who could set the intonation better... I've heard that much more "in tune" than that but yes the basic tone is pure Jaguar. An awful lot of Coming Up was tracked with a Jaguar but in fact, the song that everyone think is played on one due to the wiry tone, Beautiful Ones, is played on a Les Paul GoldTop - with all the bass end EQ'd out on the desk. Great opening riff, though.

https://youtu.be/pKizQ4B_Pok

Like on this one, tonally not massively different from Saturday Night played with the Jag. 

I always find that my perception of how dissimilar certain guitars sound when played back to back is far greater than the reality of the differences on playback.
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    I love a JM, I've had two Japanese ones and kinda regret selling them.  For me, the used prices for CIJ/MIJ offsets are a bit crazy right now.  Sure they are good guitars but i've tried a couple of the more recent MIM ones and I honestly couldnt tell you they were any better or worse...in fact blindfolded Id be pushed to tell them apart at all in terms of quality/finish/playability.  Would I have another jap JM?...yes...would I pay over a grand for one?...absolutely not...would I save my money and buy a very comparable MIM?...yes and particularly if its one thats nitro or one of the TVL models.  Not sure if i'm adding to the thread too much with these observations haha.  I think if I was buying another tomorrow i'd either be going for a nitro finished MIM or i'd be sourcing an AVRI and paying a bit more for that.  The professional series, etc with maple boards do nothing for me either.  I just want a warts and all traditional JM
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    impmann said:

Like on this one, tonally not massively different from Saturday Night played with the Jag. 

I always find that my perception of how dissimilar certain guitars sound when played back to back is far greater than the reality of the differences on playback.
    Yup... and I stand by my comment about the tuner!!!!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    impmann said:

Yup... and I stand by my comment about the tuner!!!!!
    I find that the slightly wonky tuning nearly adds to the vibe.

I know producers who swear that when recording bands poor timing is a far greater issue than poor tuning. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    Was he trying to replicate the use of a vibrato there?
    My Jaguar might need a friend..l’ve just seen the new Andertons video...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robdynamiterobdynamite Frets: 95
    My Jaguar might need a friend..l’ve just seen the new Andertons video...

DAMN, i wish that had block inlays.
    There’s a purple one with binding and blocks