Which offset

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• If anyone wants to sell me one of those Surf Green Classic Vibes let me know. I am also about to dabble in getting an offset, and before I spend a lot of money thought I would get one before I go to a guitar shop and play a few more expensive ones

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    WTF don't Fender do it as a standard part of the manufacturing process?  Not exactly an expensive edition to the cost of unit production.
    this is something I was about to lead into. seems bizarre that every single owner has to do it from the off and it's not been done from the factory. But i might be wrong/missing something here.
    Why do Fender build re-issue electric guitars that, as closely as humanly possible, conform to the original "vintage" blueprints?

Because this is what the overwhelming majority of customers ask for. Maybe, with a shallower fingerboard radius.

i've just had a shipping notification for my shell pink jag.
    See what I mean?

The other thing with some of these guitars is the Fender/Squier sees fit to ship them with 009-042 gauge strings even though the bridge and vibrato combination always gives of its best with medium guages. (A minimum of tens for Jazzmasters and elevens for Jaguars.)
    I see what you're getting at. But I was under the impression that the idea was to "modernize" these cheaper models. I could well be off the mark there though, so I apologise if i'm wrong. But like I said, watch this space. I've yet to try one myself, I might not necessarily find it as a big of an issue. Plus I figured at the price point/colour, it was worth a crack.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    The Squier CV - and VM before it - is modernised in the sense of a flatter fingerboard radius and slightly chunkier fret wire.

Some aspects of the Jazzmaster and Jaguar defy modernisation without also loosing the unique selling points of the models.

For example, Fender offers a JM type guitar with a Stratocaster type fulcrum vibrato bridge. Yes, this works but it also changes some of the fundamental physical characteristics of the original design.

IMO, the Squier and MIM offset models are an entry point for guitarists who fancy trying these designs without slapping down almost two grand on the offchance of not gelling.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Squier CV - and VM before it - is modernised in the sense of a flatter fingerboard radius and slightly chunkier fret wire.

Some aspects of the Jazzmaster and Jaguar defy modernisation without also loosing the unique selling points of the models.

For example, Fender offers a JM type guitar with a Stratocaster type fulcrum vibrato bridge. Yes, this works but it also changes some of the fundamental physical characteristics of the original design.

IMO, the Squier and MIM offset models are an entry point for guitarists who fancy trying these designs without slapping down almost two grand on the offchance of not gelling.

For entry point just look at the price of a used MIM Duo Sonic. Been a couple on here recently. Very good value for money for a lovely guitar.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Both of my offsets aren't shimmed and don't need it.
    I am rocking mastery bridges on both though.

I don't think all offsets need it, I've owned over 10 of them... possibly near 20 to be honest and I haven't shimmed a single one.

I think the guitar needs to be assessed on how it plays before it's shimmed 

I do play with 11s. Perhaps that solves part of the issue?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1348
    The Jazz bass is the only choice for an offset.