Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7442
    I watched a documentary about Euro 96 on youtube the other day. All the players like Seaman etc looked so happy to be talking about it, said it was the best time of their lives. I was 7 at the time and remember it being a really exciting time culturally. What is there now? Pandemic world everyone is miserable, it's a write off. Forget about it and wait for the next one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    England's Ben Chilwell and Mason Mount to self-isolate after Gilmour Covid-19 test

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57560206

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    edited June 2021
    duotone said:
    England's Ben Chilwell and Mason Mount to self-isolate after Gilmour Covid-19 test

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57560206

That should put the whole Scotland squad in doubt then.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2869
    Credit to Austria for playing for  win and not playing for an easy draw with Ukraine which would have taken both of them through probably.  
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    edited June 2021
    sev112 said:
    Credit to Austria for playing for  win and not playing for an easy draw with Ukraine which would have taken both of them through probably.  
    Austria are still in a long shadow from 1982 when they did not try to win

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2869
    That ws the obviousky fixed draw, is that right?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The only tournament I can think of where England underperformed was the WC where they lost to Iceland.

Anyone who isn't English (and even a lot who are) will tell you that England haven't had a truly world-beating squad for a very, very long time. The English media seems to think that club success - with teams based on a backbone of foreign superstars - and international success are related but they aren't, or at least aren't to the extent Sky would have you believe. 
    Even the teams wirh Hart, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Rooney?

That was a squad that had a world class player in every position. 

I'm not English, I'm German. But I do support England first. I'm telling you, it's baffling. When I go to see family in Germany and we talk football I've had multiple conversations where my cousins will say oh they have an excellent team, they should get to the semis, the final, but it'll be the same old England again. 

The question is why can't they get it going?
    Because no English players ever leave their comfort zone and play abroad. 

They used to (for example, Steve McManaman, David Beckham, and Michael Owen all played for Real Madrid) but the Premier League pays more money - the Champions League final was between two English teams. There are quite a few English players playing in Europe - they don't play for England.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10063
    Very impressed with Austria tonight and they should have doubled their lead, however I believe they have Italy in the next round which leaves me in a bit of a quandary - I don't like having to switch to the tournament favourite so early on!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    Very impressed with Austria tonight and they should have doubled their lead, however I believe they have Italy in the next round which leaves me in a bit of a quandary - I don't like having to switch to the tournament favourite so early on!
    Austria were really entertaining and fully deserved the win. Tough gig for them next though!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16472
    Got Russia-Denmark on. Slightly weird seeing a full ( nearly full?) crowd. Denmark doing a good job of plucky underdog in this match so far, cracking goal. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7073
    edited June 2021
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    I'm from London, and we all call it footy. 

By the sound of it though, you're one of those jellied eel supping cockney types that barely have command of basic English so you don't get to be the arbiter of legitimate wordings!  
    Same. Everyone says footy. 

I don't know one person that says footy. So quite clearly, not everyone says it. Maybe everyone under the age of 9 does.
    Well I’m not 9 (rude), and nor are my mates, and multiple people have said lots say it’s so maybe you’re just… wrong?
    You said "Everyone says footy". 
    I said "I don't know one person that says footy". How am I wrong?
    No, you said ‘down here in London no one says footy’. So you’re wrong because we’ve just proved to you that loads of people do. Dunno what to tell you. 

proggy said:
    Down here in London no-one says footy, except maybe little children, maybe.
    I’m from down south and everyone’s I know calls it footy. Only mums call it football “are you watching the football later?”

nobody I know calls it soccer.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Got Russia-Denmark on. Slightly weird seeing a full ( nearly full?) crowd. Denmark doing a good job of plucky underdog in this match so far, cracking goal. 
    Well that was properly exciting in the end! 

Denmark taking on Wales next I do believe. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23870
    edited June 2021
    Yep, we've got to take on everyone's new second-favourite team.... oh well, it'll be better than losing to Russia, whatever happens.
  • danodano Frets: 1615
    What a game Belgium vs Finland, and then Denmark vs Russia it kept flicking over too. And  both teams  in red / white just to make the BBCs continuity switching that bit harder

This Group B is probably the  best GROUP OF DEATH in any competition for  long time
  • rainer2859rainer2859 Frets: 307
    ….and so England qualify without having to kick a ball!! Should be really exciting tomorrow.
    Philly_Q said:
    Yep, we've got to take on everyone's new second-favourite team.... oh well, it'll be better than losing to Russia, whatever happens.
    Ha ha yes. Although as descendant of Welsh coal miners ( thank you cousin Clive for doing the family tree) rather than Danish,err, bakers I have a second favourite already. 

rainer2859 said:
    ….and so England qualify without having to kick a ball!! Should be really exciting tomorrow.
    Oh, that looks right. But Croatia will be trying to win to stay in, I guess that’s some kind of tension. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7839
    Well that was properly exciting in the end! 

Really looking forward to this one, potential for goals and an open match.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    Pretty bonkers, England qualifying to knockout stage scoring one goal. Very silly. 

So. no stress boys play well.
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 978
    rze99 said:
    England qualifying to knockout stage scoring one goal. 
    Or to put a slightly more positive (*cough*) spin on it...England qualify to knockout stage without conceding a goal   ;)

Because they're already through, I just hope they try and play positively for once, 
    A bit of the belief and passion that Denmark showed last night wouldn't go amiss

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    AlbertC said:
    rze99 said:
    England qualifying to knockout stage scoring one goal. 
    Or to put a slightly more positive (*cough*) spin on it...England qualify to knockout stage without conceding a goal  

Because they're already through, I just hope they try and play positively for once, 
    A bit of the belief and passion that Denmark showed last night wouldn't go amiss

rze99 said:
    Pretty bonkers, England qualifying to knockout stage scoring one goal. Very silly. 

So. no stress boys play well.

rze99 said:

Not really silly...

Looking at the positives-
    England  have ....
    won the first match in the Euros ever....
    taken 4 points from 2 games.....
    not conceded a goal, (all the top teams have struggled with that) ....
    qualified with as game in hand....
    beaten a tricky and experienced tournament team (Croatia) straight out of the traps.

It’s all to play for, if everything lands jam side up then you never know...