Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12621
    The only tournament I can think of where England underperformed was the WC where they lost to Iceland.

Every other tournament that I can remember - back to the early 90s - England have done about exactly as well as you'd expect them to. I'd actually argue that England are one of the most consistent teams in world football - it's just that their place is 'just below the elite'. What England do consistently is beat the diddy teams, get knocked out by a really good team. 

Anyone who isn't English (and even a lot who are) will tell you that England haven't had a truly world-beating squad for a very, very long time. The English media seems to think that club success - with teams based on a backbone of foreign superstars - and international success are related but they aren't, or at least aren't to the extent Sky would have you believe. 
    I think I’d agree with most of that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2052
    Would have liked to have seen Bale put that one away
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Schnozz said:

He's back playing with the Spuds, remember.
  • proggy said:
    Schnozz said:

He's back playing with the Spuds, remember.
    Wales. Golf. Spuds.

In that order.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10400
    edited June 2021
    The only tournament I can think of where England underperformed was the WC where they lost to Iceland.

Anyone who isn't English (and even a lot who are) will tell you that England haven't had a truly world-beating squad for a very, very long time. The English media seems to think that club success - with teams based on a backbone of foreign superstars - and international success are related but they aren't, or at least aren't to the extent Sky would have you believe. 
    Even the teams wirh Hart, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Rooney?

That was a squad that had a world class player in every position. 

I'm not English, I'm German. But I do support England first. I'm telling you, it's baffling. When I go to see family in Germany and we talk football I've had multiple conversations where my cousins will say oh they have an excellent team, they should get to the semis, the final, but it'll be the same old England again. 

The question is why can't they get it going?
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Loved Hartson's neutrality:

'Yes, he's stamped on his ankle but that's a yellow card for me'.

Pillock.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:

Pillock.
    Hartson was nothing but a talentless thug anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4221
    The Tournament would be a lot more interesting if only 2 rather than 3 teams progressed from the first knockout round 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053

Even the teams wirh Hart, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Rooney?

All very good players. 

But take WC 2006. The Italian team that started the final was Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Materazzi, Grosso, Camoranesi, Gattuso, Pirlo, Perotta, Toni, and Totti. Not a single weak link. All world class. 

Opposite them from France was Barthez, Thuram, Makelele, Sagnol, Gallas, Viera, Abidal, Ribery, Zidane, Malouda, and Henry. All world class. 

"World class" players is a given when you get to the last eight, last four, last two at a World Cup. Its not enough---margins are very, very fine in sport. You can have a world class team without having a truly elite one. And that's England's 'problem'. 

• proggy said:
    Hattigol said:

Pillock.
    Hartson was nothing but a talentless thug anyway.

Super, super John,
    Super, super John,
    Super, super John,
    Super Johnny Hartson.

Legend :smile: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    sweepy said:
    The Tournament would be a lot more interesting if only 2 rather than 3 teams progressed from the first knockout round 
    Yes, it’s seems bonkers getting through for being 3rd from 4 teams
    sweepy said:

Only the best four of the third place teams will go through.
    It's really come to something when you make a genuine comment on here and you get ridiculed by some Toby who doesn't know the first thing about football, and refers to it as 'footy'.
    I know thousands of proper, lifelong football fans and not one of them ever say 'footy' or 'soccer'.

All very good players. 

But take WC 2006. The Italian team that started the final was Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Materazzi, Grosso, Camoranesi, Gattuso, Pirlo, Perotta, Toni, and Totti. Not a single weak link. All world class. 

Opposite them from France was Barthez, Thuram, Makelele, Sagnol, Gallas, Viera, Abidal, Ribery, Zidane, Malouda, and Henry. All world class. 

"World class" players is a given when you get to the last eight, last four, last two at a World Cup. Its not enough---margins are very, very fine in sport. You can have a world class team without having a truly elite one. And that's England's 'problem'. 

But you are looking at it in retrospect.  Had England been in the final people would have been talking about when England had beckham, rooney,gerrard, etc etc. 
  • On a serious note; totally elated that we’re through to the knockouts. Again. After decades of failure and pain (being at the infamous Wales v Romania match was traumatic!) this is our golden age. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    That was a more of a training session for Italy reserves, even before the red card. Wales unlucky on a few occasions though.  
    On a serious note; totally elated that we’re through to the knockouts. Again. After decades of failure and pain (being at the infamous Wales v Romania match was traumatic!) this is our golden age. 
    No doubts you are a decent tournament team now.  I think when Bale and Ramsey have finished you may struggle but who knows. 
    munckee said:

All very good players. 

But you are looking at it in retrospect.  Had England been in the final people would have been talking about when England had beckham, rooney,gerrard, etc etc. 
    Bear in mind in 2006 the England squad was so elite that it included a 17 year old Theo Walcott on the basis of...nothing.

England had a good team in 2006. But anyone who thinks they had a squad to rival the likes of Italy, France or any of the other elite nations has obviously forgotten the existence of Wayne Bridge. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    England had a good team in 2006. But anyone who thinks they had a squad to rival the likes of Italy, France or any of the other elite nations has obviously forgotten the existence of Wayne Bridge. 
    I bet John Terry hasn't.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:
    I bet John Terry hasn't.

Proper lolled at that, well done