Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 949
    p90fool said:
    Shrews said:
     England might win the tournament as long as they don't over exert in the early games or pick up bookings and injuries.  

If you're watching the Germany-Portugal game right now and saw the Hungary-France game earlier and still think England are anywhere near the standard required to win this tournament then you're drunk on jingoism.  
    Same as every tournament ever -except one- overhyped then under performed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    russpm said:
    We’ve only played 2 games so it’s way too early for all this negativity, really! 4 points from 2 games stacks up pretty well. 

Remember how bad Portugal were in the group stage last time and they went on to win.
    This is only Southgate’s 2nd major tournament and he got the team to the semis in the first so not a bad start considering what he inherited.
    let’s get behind the team. 

No matter how bad things get you just don’t boo your own team. That is just low and is devoid of any sort of class or intelligence.

when things aren’t  going well you need the fans to lift the team…… not get on the backs of the players. This just makes things worse.

Here is to a good run in the competition and hoping Wales and Scotland do well also. 

Personally I can't wait til England are out and I can enjoy the footy! :D

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    PhilW1 said:
    p90fool said:
    Shrews said:
     England might win the tournament as long as they don't over exert in the early games or pick up bookings and injuries.  

If you're watching the Germany-Portugal game right now and saw the Hungary-France game earlier and still think England are anywhere near the standard required to win this tournament then you're drunk on jingoism.  
    Same as every tournament ever -except one- overhyped then under performed.

Didn't you watch the World Cup 86 and Euro 96?
    Robbed in the quarter final by the so-called 'Hand of God' 
    Went out in the semi final on a penalty shoot-out against the Germans (who never lose shoot-outs).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4651
    edited June 2021
    Come on Wales !!!  although Italy have been looking great so far
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7440
    For the most part English people are losers that would rather shit on anyone that does well for themselves, than feel inspired to do something for themselves. 

I still remember in high school I entered the talent show, and played a Steve Vai song I'd practiced every day for months. I didn't win the show, but they gave me the award for most technical performance.
    Next day the school security guard started a conversation with me about it, and I said I'd won most technical performance. He goes "yeah I saw, but you didn't win did you. Thats not a real prize. They just made that up".
    It was an absolute miracle that id got on stage at all because I was so shy, I played a piece of music to perfection, and this grown man seeks out a child to take a crap on it all hahaha. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2867
    sev112 said:
    Yes, that semi final in the last one was very poor 
    Yea it was. Did you watch it? Outplayed by an ageing Croatian team. Did you think England played well in that tournament? Do you think they looked like they could win it at any point?

Perhaps they'll be more convincing this year. 

England have underperformed in every tournament since 1996 and while 2018 was fun, I don't think anyone can seriously say that they played well, even if the tournament resulted in a good run. 
    So what, it was a semi final that everyone in the world other than 3 other teams got to.
    and the team was knackered 
    that was not an ageing Croatian, team - it is this year however

no one has got  right to guaranteed tournament success.  England in 90, 96, 2018, and Wales in 2016 were very impressive successes, shame that neither went further,  

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    Italy Wales is entertaining. Some nice silk from Wales and good chance in the box just now but they do look like a good Championship side against Man City. 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    He really didn’t need to stamp on him there, WTF was he thinking!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10400
    edited June 2021
    sev112 said:
    sev112 said:
    Yes, that semi final in the last one was very poor 
    Yea it was. Did you watch it? Outplayed by an ageing Croatian team. Did you think England played well in that tournament? Do you think they looked like they could win it at any point?

Perhaps they'll be more convincing this year. 

England have underperformed in every tournament since 1996 and while 2018 was fun, I don't think anyone can seriously say that they played well, even if the tournament resulted in a good run. 
    So what, it was a semi final that everyone in the world other than 3 other teams got to.
    and the team was knackered 
    that was not an ageing Croatian, team - it is this year however

no one has got  right to guaranteed tournament success.  England in 90, 96, 2018, and Wales in 2016 were very impressive successes, shame that neither went further,  

Croatia were ageing then. Modric, their star player was 32. Now they're ancient. 

If you think England weren't fortunate to get to the final, helped along by an abundance of penalties and favourable draws you must of been watching a different tournament. At no point were they convincing. When they played other top teams they lost. Belgium twice and Croatia. Again, it was great to watch and they got far, but it wasn't convincing. If any of the top 10 teams would have played us in the second round it would have been over. No doubt about it. 

You're right, no one is guaranteed or has a right to success, but England have underperformed, and haven't been convincing for years, including in 2018 where they were fortunate to get to the semi final. Not qualifying, going out in the group stage, the second round on multiple occasions. And with the players that are in the team, you would expect them to do better more regularly and play in a more convincing fashion, but they don't. They scrape 1-0 wins all the time against poor opposition.

The question that has been plaguing managers and the FA for decades now is 'why'?'. This hasn't been answered yet, but let's see how this tournament goes. 
      Naive at best. But Bale’s chance…. Oh what a waste. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2867
    EVERY team is fortunate to get to where they get to. Decisions, tactics, other matches going your way.  The thing about competitive sport is success, not deserving to do weep because you tried hard, are nice people,

there were 20+ other people in that Croatia team other than Modric, and he was world class at that time .  

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    rze99 said:
    Ive lost track. if the scores in both game 1-0  3-1  remain the same do Wales go through?

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    phil_b said:
    rze99 said:
    Ive lost track. if the scores in both game 1-0  3-1  remain the same do Wales go through?

Yes. Wales still have the better goal diff by 2. But if both Italy and Switzerland score again then the Swiss will be in second because of 'fair play' (the Welsh red card).
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    phil_b said:
    rze99 said:

Yes.
    phil_b said:
    rze99 said:

Yes
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    Well done Wales. 

Italy looking strong but poor defending allowed Bale that chance and they didn’t score against ten men so could be stronger I guess. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23786
    Phew.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12621
    Well done Wales. 

Italy looking strong but poor defending allowed Bale that chance and they didn’t score against ten men so could be stronger I guess. 

Good result for wales but Italy rested a few and were fairly laid back. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    munckee said:
    Well done Wales. 

Good result for wales but Italy rested a few and were fairly laid back. 
    I think they’d changed 8 of the starting 11? So, if that’s basically the second team…
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    The only tournament I can think of where England underperformed was the WC where they lost to Iceland.

Every other tournament that I can remember - back to the early 90s - England have done about exactly as well as you'd expect them to. I'd actually argue that England are one of the most consistent teams in world football - it's just that their place is 'just below the elite'. What England do consistently is beat the diddy teams, get knocked out by a really good team. 

Anyone who isn't English (and even a lot who are) will tell you that England haven't had a truly world-beating squad for a very, very long time. The English media seems to think that club success - with teams based on a backbone of foreign superstars - and international success are related but they aren't, or at least aren't to the extent Sky would have you believe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom