Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    proggy said:
    sweepy said:
    The Tournament would be a lot more interesting if only 2 rather than 3 teams progressed from the first knockout round 

Only the best four of the third place teams will go through.
    That’s 4 from 6 isn’t it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    russpm said:
    proggy said:
    sweepy said:
    The Tournament would be a lot more interesting if only 2 rather than 3 teams progressed from the first knockout round 

Yes. I'm not sure who they play though when they get through.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    proggy said:
    Hattigol said:
    Loved Hartson's neutrality:

'Yes, he's stamped on his ankle but that's a yellow card for me'.

Pillock.
    Hartson was nothing but a talentless thug anyway.

Super, super John,
    Super, super John,
    Super, super John,
    Super Johnny Hartson.

Legend :smile: 

The only time I ever sang his name was when we sold the oaf to West Ham.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    proggy said:
    russpm said:
    proggy said:
    sweepy said:

It’s all up in the air until qualifying the 3rd places are known. Seems a lot of football games just to lose 8 teams, 24 to 16
    russpm said:
    proggy said:
    russpm said:
    proggy said:
    sweepy said:

It’s all up in the air until qualifying the 3rd places are known. Seems a lot of football games just to lose 8 teams, 24 to 16

It does seem to be a bit of a faff. That's how the governing body likes to operate, unfortunately.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    proggy said:
    It's really come to something when you make a genuine comment on here and you get ridiculed by some Toby who doesn't know the first thing about football, and refers to it as 'footy'.
    I know thousands of proper, lifelong football fans and not one of them ever say 'footy' or 'soccer'.
    I'm a lifelong footy fan, along with all my mates and we have always called it footy as long as I can remember.

1970s - "you comin out to play footy?"
    1980s - "footy's on in the pub, you coming down for a few pints of Trophy?"
    1990 - "footy's on, Italia 90, comin down the pub to watch us stuff the Irish?"

etc etc

Soccer though? No.

I don't know anyone called Toby either. Tbh, I don't think that name was allowed in Lancashire in the 70s. Don't think you were allowed to have it on a birth certificate. 

Snap said:
    proggy said:
    It's really come to something when you make a genuine comment on here and you get ridiculed by some Toby who doesn't know the first thing about football, and refers to it as 'footy'.
    I know thousands of proper, lifelong football fans and not one of them ever say 'footy' or 'soccer'.
    I'm a lifelong footy fan, along with all my mates and we have always called it footy as long as I can remember.

etc etc

Soccer though? No.

I don't know anyone called Toby either. Tbh, I don't think that name was allowed in Lancashire in the 70s. Don't think you were allowed to have it on a birth certificate. 

It's Cockney rhyming slang.
    Down here in London no-one says footy, except maybe little children, maybe.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10043
    proggy said:
    Snap said:
    proggy said:

etc etc

Soccer though? No.

What is the rhyme then?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    proggy said:
    Snap said:
    proggy said:

etc etc

Soccer though? No.

What is the rhyme then?

Toby Jug = Mug.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10043
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    Snap said:
    proggy said:

etc etc

Soccer though? No.

What is the rhyme then?

Toby Jug = Mug.

Oh haha I was thinking you meant footy was rhyming slang, I was thinking it was odd to be such a clearly related word. Silly me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    Snap said:
    proggy said:

etc etc

Soccer though? No.

I certainly used soccer growing up, not really sure why as it’s British public school slang and that really wasn’t my experience but there you go. It was in the vernacular and we’ve had Soccer Saturday and all that. At some point there seems to have been this idea that it’s an Americanism and proper British football fans don’t say it. So, it has fallen out of use to a large extent. 
    Not sure I’ve ever said footy in my life but a lot of these things depend on region and age. Although I don’t know anyone called Toby, I don’t think that ever caught on in Wolverhampton except for naming carveries. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Snap said:
    proggy said:

etc etc

Soccer though? No.

I certainly used soccer growing up, not really sure why as it’s British public school slang and that really wasn’t my experience but there you go. It was in the vernacular and we’ve had Soccer Saturday and all that. At some point there seems to have been this idea that it’s an Americanism and proper British football fans don’t say it. So, it has fallen out of use to a large extent. 
    Not sure I’ve ever said footy in my life but a lot of these things depend on region and age. Although I don’t know anyone called Toby, I don’t think that ever caught on in Wolverhampton except for naming carveries. 

I've never met anyone called Toby either, we use it as an insult.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Thought that was to refer to someone as a Rupert :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    proggy said:
    Snap said:
    proggy said:

etc etc

Soccer though? No.

Is it a bit similar to the word 'hello' then?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Jalapeno said:

As I explained to thecolourbox, it's just rhyming slang for mug.
    ie; Don't be a Toby all your life, or, are you some sort of a Toby. That's how it's used.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm from London, and we all call it footy. 

By the sound of it though, you're one of those jellied eel supping cockney types that barely have command of basic English so you don't get to be the arbiter of legitimate wordings! ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11452
    Toby or not Toby, that is the question.

I'll get me coat.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23787
    I think terminology falls in and out of use, it probably varies in different parts of the country and between different groups of friends.  I've certainly heard footy and soccer used in the past, most people I know just say football.

Proper, lifelong football fans aren't the greatest arbiters of terminology, anyway.  I'm always amazed by the number of people who can't pronounce the names of their managers or half their players, or still talk about the Premiership when it's been the Premier League since 2007.
    edited June 2021
    I'm from London, and we all call it footy. 

By the sound of it though, you're one of those jellied eel supping cockney types that barely have command of basic English so you don't get to be the arbiter of legitimate wordings!  

You're not from London. If you were, you wouldn't say footy or supping. You fucking Toby.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    Jalapeno said:
    I used to know a Rupert,he played guitar in rock bands and worked in a saw mill. So, I guess maybe not fitting with any stereotype of a Rupert. I think the name got him into trouble to some extent, a Boy Named Sue type scenario. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.