Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10409
    I'm from London, and we all call it footy. 

By the sound of it though, you're one of those jellied eel supping cockney types that barely have command of basic English so you don't get to be the arbiter of legitimate wordings! ;) 
    Same. Everyone says footy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    proggy said:
    Hattigol said:
    Loved Hartson's neutrality:

'Yes, he's stamped on his ankle but that's a yellow card for me'.

Pillock.
    Hartson was nothing but a talentless thug anyway.

Super, super John,
    Super, super John,
    Super, super John,
    Super Johnny Hartson.

Legend :smile: 

Don't give me any clues here. I'm going to take a wild guess at your nationality.....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2869
    proggy said:

By the sound of it though, you're one of those jellied eel supping cockney types that barely have command of basic English so you don't get to be the arbiter of legitimate wordings!  

You're not from London. If you were, you wouldn't say footy or supping. You fucking Toby.
    If you were really from London you wouldn’t be using any 2 syllable words 

“you goin ter the park for a kick about?”
    ”you goin ter the match this week ?

we wouldn’t even say football cos it’s 2 syllables, it’s wasting vocab effrt

p.S. “wouldn’t” would be pronounced as one syllable, as wun’t

‘About’ is two syllables. As is ‘going’. 

Fail. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

By the sound of it though, you're one of those jellied eel supping cockney types that barely have command of basic English so you don't get to be the arbiter of legitimate wordings! ;) 

I don't know one person that says footy. So quite clearly, not everyone says it. Maybe everyone under the age of 9 does.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23870
    proggy said:

I don't know one person that says footy. So quite clearly, not everyone says it. Maybe everyone under the age of 9 does.
    I only we had a Venn diagram function on the forum, eh?  Then we could graphically illustrate how @proggy's circle of acquaintances doesn't overlap with @TeleMaster's or @Legionreturns's.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24582
    Philly_Q said:
    proggy said:

I only we had a Venn diagram function on the forum, eh?  Then we could graphically illustrate how @proggy's circle of acquaintances doesn't overlap with @TeleMaster's or @Legionreturns's.
    Sure:

Venn.jpg 50.1K
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ‘About’ is two syllables. As is ‘going’. 

Fail. 
    ‘Baht”

one syllable

go’n
    one sylable

need to listen to some recordings of good real London accents, not the stuff the modern yuppies speak
    When I was in my first year at Uni, I was asked to be recorded for someone’s PhD because my broad / rough cockney accent was of relevance,
    when she gave me a phonetic transcript of my conversation, it was full of apostrophes because of this 
    edited June 2021
    proggy said:

By the sound of it though, you're one of those jellied eel supping cockney types that barely have command of basic English so you don't get to be the arbiter of legitimate wordings!  

Well I’m not 9 (rude), and nor are my mates, and multiple people have said lots say it’s so maybe you’re just… wrong?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10063
    Anyway back to the game in hand, a rose by any other name etc - some group finale matches today. I'm hoping my elected team for this tournament Austria pull something out of the bag against Ukraine today and make it through to the knockout stages. When I lived there the people were so disappointed in their footballing achievements - they seem to have collectively agreed that they peaked in 1978 when they somehow beat Germany, and that despite Paul Scharner being an absolute legend they would never do anything ever again 

They will get a nosebleed if they make it through to the knockout stages
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    proggy said:

Well I’m not 9 (rude), and nor are my mates, and multiple people have said lots say it’s so maybe you’re just… wrong?
    You said "Everyone says footy". 
    I said "I don't know one person that says footy". How am I wrong?
    Anyway back to the game in hand, a rose by any other name etc - some group finale matches today. I'm hoping my elected team for this tournament Austria pull something out of the bag against Ukraine today and make it through to the knockout stages. When I lived there the people were so disappointed in their footballing achievements - they seem to have collectively agreed that they peaked in 1978 when they somehow beat Germany, and that despite Paul Scharner being an absolute legend they would never do anything ever again 

They will get a nosebleed if they make it through to the knockout stages
    Is Hans Krankl still playing ?

anither contrived draw methinks so they both go through ? 
    Although by my calcs there is a good chance of 5 of the 6 groups all having 4 pts for the 3rd places
    edited June 2021
    proggy said:
    proggy said:

No, you said ‘down here in London no one says footy’. So you’re wrong because we’ve just proved to you that loads of people do. Dunno what to tell you. 

proggy said:
    Down here in London no-one says footy, except maybe little children, maybe.
    Philly_Q said:
    proggy said:

I’d have no problem with the outcome tbh. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    proggy said:
    proggy said:

No, you said ‘down here in London no one says footy’. So you’re wrong because we’ve just proved to you that loads of people do. Dunno what to tell you. 

proggy said:
    Down here in London no-one says footy, except maybe little children, maybe.
    Oh FFS, grow up, the pair of you.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You’re right. I don’t know what this is about or why it’s happening. :lol:
    Yep @Hattigol ; is right. It's over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    proggy said:
    Yep @Hattigol ; is right. It's over.

They think it is. It is now. =)
    Call me Dave.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    The only tournament I can think of where England underperformed was the WC where they lost to Iceland.

Anyone who isn't English (and even a lot who are) will tell you that England haven't had a truly world-beating squad for a very, very long time. The English media seems to think that club success - with teams based on a backbone of foreign superstars - and international success are related but they aren't, or at least aren't to the extent Sky would have you believe. 
    Even the teams wirh Hart, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Rooney?

That was a squad that had a world class player in every position. 

I'm not English, I'm German. But I do support England first. I'm telling you, it's baffling. When I go to see family in Germany and we talk football I've had multiple conversations where my cousins will say oh they have an excellent team, they should get to the semis, the final, but it'll be the same old England again. 

The question is why can't they get it going?
    Because no English players ever leave their comfort zone and play abroad. 

Harry Kane dominates the Premier League. Why not move to Spain this summer and see what you can do.

Patrick Viera was discussing this the other day during the France v Germany game.

Very very few of the French first team squad play in France. They all play in the Premier League or La Liga. When they won the WC in '98, most of them played in the Serie A.

I can't think of any players (except Tripper) who play abroad currently. Oh and Sancho, who inexplicably, can't get off the bench. Oh and Bellingham. Surprise, surprise, Sancho and Bellingham seem to be our brightest prospects and Tripper has been reborn since playing for and winning La Liga with Athletico.

And that is why I'm a Ronaldo fanboy over Messi - done it over several leagues.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom