Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2673
    They're just some of the reasons people can't be bothered supporting England. I didn't see many England fans gracious in victory against the Germans last week, so it goes both ways.

Good post. You see it in the thread here. One minute England fans are crying because "why does no-one in Scotland support us" and the next its all jokes about heroin and being too skint to buy Italy shirts. Its classic football supporter hypocrisy really.
    Spot on. Bigotry too but's that's another classic football supporter trait. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So are you watching on the BBC or ITV - assuming it is your choice on your TV and not in a bar 
    I'm going to watch coverage from another country via VPN.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Snap said:
    I get heartily sick of reading and hearing negativity and cynicism from England fans about what is our greatest national team achievement in a lifetime, more.

We are in the final.

Get the heck in boys!

We cut the Danes to pieces from the end of the first half onwards. Going forward we were lightning quick in the final third, light on feet, fleet of turn, skilled. Sterling, Mount, Kane, Shaw, were a joy to watch the way they cut through the Danes. Some of the passing through tight spaces was superb.

I'm not sure we cut them to pieces. We were the more dominant side but that doesn't necessarily mean the more likely to win (remember Denmark scored two of the three goals). Plenty of teams are happy to soak up pressure and grab a cheeky winner; that's a deliberate tactic. Passing it around the middle third with a little real penetration can make for exciting viewing when it's your team but doesn't really mean you 'deserve it on the night/balance of play', not for me anyway. I think you have to earn the win not deserve it, otherwise why play at all? Just give Belgium the trophy without a ball having to be kicked.

Snap said:

I thought it was a clear penalty, the ref thought so, VAR supported the decision. Guess what naysayers? That makes it a penalty.

I, like most people, thought it was a clear dive. I thought the ref was poor, certainly by the standards of the tournament so far, but felt for him a little there: from his angle, two players sandwich Sterling and he goes down. VAR didn't support the decision, there was contact (however minimal) and so they can't say there was a clear mistake. That said, the freekick the Danes got was equally bad - perhaps a stronger shout than the pen but not by much. Goals change games and so who knows what the final result would have been if the ref had been a bit sharper but I don't think it's a given that it would have been an England win.

Hattigol said:
    It doesn't really get mentioned - whisper it - but Kane is the biggest diver of them all.....
    He's terrible for it, totally agree.

I actually have no problem with players diving, it's part of the game these days.

What grinds my gears is the hypocrisy from our journos and pundits over it. Foreign player dives - dirty cheat. Kane or Sterling dive - he's clever and anyway the defender brushed his ankle/shoulder/shirt sleeve so what are we all complaining about.

Its the same with coverage of club football too. Match of the Day etc. all love to cover johnny foreigner diving for Norwich or West Ham but completely ignore the home grown heroes who do it week in week out.

I watch a fair bit of football and don't think this is true. In fairness to the pundits on various channels they seem to call it out whoever does it; maybe because there are so many foreigners in the Premier League and Championship it seems like they get called out a lot.

I also find it really funny to see the desperate justification for how Sterling really was fouled, honest guv. Just own it lads - getting a dodgy decision in your favour is absolutely glorious, no need to tie your knickers in knots pretending otherwise. 

No, it's cheating.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6276
    edited July 2021
    It was a penalty. It was given, we scored. End of discussion. Nothing can be changed. Sterling was clipped twice. You can see it on the replay. It's close but IMO (as and England fan ) it was the right decision. 

No-one is making much about the Maguire booking (what else are you supposed to do with your arms, and that barn door of a huge Danish player did some nice theatrics) or the lack of yellow cards given to the Danes for several challenges that could have justifiably been cards. Not convinced the ref had the best of games, but it did work in our favour in the end.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27897
    edited July 2021
    I'm not a big football guy but I watched last night and enjoyed a good game of football. 

Sterling was already on the way down before the second bloke barged him. Whether or not the first tackle should've been a penalty is highly debatable but given the second bloke would've knocked him flying either way I'm guessing that's why it stood. 

The right team won, and they've been playing very well in general, so the final should be a good match. I honestly don't really care about the result but if any England team has deserved to win anything in the last 30-odd years it's this one.  

Do you think Gareth Southgate fancies sorting out politics next? He's got more class and commands more respect than anything seen on the front benches for years
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10409
    edited July 2021
    England definitely tore them to pieces, especially from 70 mins onwards. Extra time was desperately one sided. 

I feel that people are continuing to underestimate this team, the team who got to the semis of the WC. I have also done it. 

Saying they haven’t had a real test even though we beat the finalists of the World Cup in the group phase, then our bogey team comfortably, then a thrashing of a decent team in the QF and now beating a team who are playing above themselves because of an awful incident and are playing on pure emotion, who we still largely dominated, and only conceded one goal in the whole thing…

What more do people need this team to do to get on side with them? Beat Italy? And then what? They only scored one so it’s not convincing? I honestly think that some people will always find something to be cynical about, even if they continue to underestimate them and they still go on to win it.

This team are full of determination, desire, skill and grit. Isn’t this what we’ve been asking for for decades?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ewal said:
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    It's those poor Jocks I feel sorry for.

That's another month's heroin money they'll have to waste on an Italy shirt....
    Into a major final for the first time in forever, first thought is Scotland.

Absolutely fucking tragic. 
    It wasn't my first thought and it was just a joke. Nothing 'fucking tragic' about it.

I wonder about this site sometimes. Post a joke, and someone gets upset about it. Fucking tragic.
    It was a fucking tragically bad joke. Your choice to post it though.

I didn't think the joke was that bad. But thank you for choosing to voice your opinion.
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 479
    ewal said:
    So are you watching on the BBC or ITV - assuming it is your choice on your TV and not in a bar 
    BBC no doubt, ITV commentators are awful. Lee Dixon offers no insight or analysis. Plus they missed the little car cause of adverts!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10409
    I guess like music, films, it’s up to others to judge if it’s good or not, right? :lol: 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23870
    MrSwanson said:
    ewal said:
    BBC no doubt, ITV commentators are awful. Lee Dixon offers no insight or analysis. Plus they missed the little car cause of adverts!
    I always have it on iPlayer with the 5 Live audio, because I like the 5 Live commentators and pundits.  Unfortunately there's a delay of at least a minute, so whenever there's a major incident I can hear the neighbours getting agitated before I see it.
    Snap said:
    It was a penalty. It was given, we scored. End of discussion. Nothing can be changed. Sterling was clipped twice. You can see it on the replay. It's close but IMO (as and England fan ) it was the right decision. 

It was given but that doesn't mean it should have been. Sterling came into contact with the defenders twice but that didn't put him to the ground - listen to his careful wording in the post-match interview. Football is still a contact sport. As an England fan, it was the wrong decision and other bad decisions don't excuse it.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    fob said:
    Snap said:

It was given but that doesn't mean it should have been. Sterling came into contact with the defenders twice but that didn't put him to the ground - listen to his careful wording in the post-match interview. Football is still a contact sport. As an England fan, it was the wrong decision and other bad decisions don't excuse it.
    But seriously.....who cares?  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7368
    I thought we played well the first 10, a bit sloppily until we scored and after that , especially the last 20 mins and extra time we looked very assured. Would have liked to have kept Grealish on with Denmark tiring as a third goal would have been good insurance against a team so good at set pieces.

Southgate has been very impressive - the job seems to really suit him 
    Hattigol said:

Me, for one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    fob said:
    Hattigol said:

Me, for one.
    Well, I suggest you make your protest known by boycotting the final! 

The players will be LIVID!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fob said:
    Hattigol said:

Me, for one.

I doubt they will, they're the ones who are cheating in order to 'win'. 

I love football and don't see its corruption as an inevitable part of the game that you simply have to take part in. I'll complain when Matt Hancock hands my taxes to his mates.and I'll complain when Raheem Sterling throws himself to the ground to get an unfair advantage. My position is consistent and doesn't change because 'we' get the advantage.
    proggy said:
    ewal said:
    proggy said:
    proggy said:

It wasn't my first thought and it was just a joke. Nothing 'fucking tragic' about it.

I wonder about this site sometimes. Post a joke, and someone gets upset about it. Fucking tragic.

I didn't think the joke was that bad. But thank you for choosing to voice your opinion.
    Just subsititute another minority group, say one of an ethnic nature, in your joke, and tell me how you think it reads.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    As a rugby fan I find the propensity for player to 'fall over' because of the lightest brush of the shirt laughable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6276
    edited July 2021
    fob said:
    fob said:
    Hattigol said:

But seriously.....who cares? 
    Me, for one.

I doubt they will, they're the ones who are cheating in order to 'win'. 

I love football and don't see its corruption as an inevitable part of the game that you simply have to take part in. I'll complain when Matt Hancock hands my taxes to his mates.and I'll complain when Raheem Sterling throws himself to the ground to get an unfair advantage. My position is consistent and doesn't change because 'we' get the advantage.
    oh ffs mate. you miserable get!!

This is so typical of a kind of England fan - miserable as sin, critical etc etc.

It's football - decisions can go all over the shop and players act up. To be honest, given the pace Sterling was going at, it doesn't take much to knock you over, however theatrical it appears. The ref saw it, VAR checked it and it was given. That is that. End of chuffing story. the amount of decisions that didn't go England's way following Danish grabbing, shirt pulling etc, we were due one falling our way.

The game has checks in place, called VAR, that are there to make a call where a decision is debatable: job done.

There really is some pious pontificating going on in this thread. Are we incapable of celebrating a good result without pulling things to bits and looking for something to moan about?? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ewal said:
    proggy said:
    ewal said:
    proggy said:
    proggy said:

Just subsititute another minority group, say one of an ethnic nature, in your joke, and tell me how you think it reads.

I had no idea you lot were so hypersensitive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom