Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7440
    I Googled it and there's a guy facing the ball, but he's covering his face with his hands like he's watching jurassic park.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119
    this chap says the Denmark result should be overturned, and that a penalty shoot-out behind closed doors should be held

England should not accept a hollow victory ruined by a laser - BarristerBlogger
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    this chap says the Denmark result should be overturned, and that a penalty shoot-out behind closed doors should be held

Great idea. Can we do this immediately after we replay the Hand of God game against Argentina?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14859
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:

Great idea. Can we do this immediately after we replay the Hand of God game against Argentina?
    good idea Mr H - I was going to suggest on the Monday after the final 

Plus he saved the penalty so the laser could not have had to much of an initial impact 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    Hattigol said:

there has been a lot of crap on social medial about replaying the game ect. It is all bollocks. the ref's decision is final is a principle that still stands even with them now being assited with VAR.

I can remember thierry henry using his hand to put out Ireland from the world cup. It may stink sometimes but you cant keep going back. It is just part of the game

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    As I understand it the rules of football don't allow for completed matches to be replayed ( I'm sure there will have been odd exceptions). If a team has done something wrong ( discovered after the match to have used an ineligible player for example) they can be made to forfeit the match.
    There are examples of goals being scored by rebounding off the referee or a foreign object on the field and these still stand. It isn't the fault of the scoring team. If an investigation said use of a laser pen by someone in the crowd lead to the goal against Denmark it simply doesn't make a difference under the rules of the game. There are multiple precedents about the use of laser pointers in international games and they are a prohibited item for anyone attending a FIFA match. So, the issue is more a security one than a football one. 
    From the news items the Danes aren't very interested but want to know why fireworks were allowed to go off during their anthem. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Got too much time on his hands, he saved the penalty anyway. Plus if we're doing that then the Danish free kick goal shouldn't have counted so it's still 1-0.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    Casper says he saw the laser and told the referee. What is surprising is that the ref did nothing at the time.  

He could have waited informed the other officials and had the Marshalls monitor the crowd for the perpetrator. It would have been massively disruptive of course. 

The laser pointer if found should be banned from grounds for a very long time. What a despicable specimen. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    rze99 said:
    Casper says he saw the laser and told the referee. What is surprising is that the ref did nothing at the time.  

He could have waited informed the other officials and had the Marshalls monitor the crowd for the perpetrator. It would have been massively disruptive of course. 

The laser pointer if found should be banned from grounds for a very long time. What a despicable specimen. 
    FIFA banned it years ago; should not have been allowed in the ground so the issue is with Wembley security. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    phil_b said:
    Hattigol said:

there has been a lot of crap on social medial about replaying the game ect. It is all bollocks. the ref's decision is final is a principle that still stands even with them now being assited with VAR.

I can remember thierry henry using his hand to put out Ireland from the world cup. It may stink sometimes but you cant keep going back. It is just part of the game

What annoyed me about both the Maradona hand of God goal and the TH goal against ROI, was not that the ref missed it - Such issues can happen to all of us - But after, when all the video evidence showed nothing more than deliberate cheating, that FIFA did not ban either play for say the rest of the tournament, or the forth coming tournament in the case of TH - We know why, as they were 2 of the biggest stars at the time and they did not want such a premier event to be missing such stars - A gutless and toothless bunch of walking suits 

I accept we lost to Argentina - accept we could not replay the game - But take action against an obvious culprit and maybe it would have stopped influencing other players at a later date that you can get away with it 

I think it was Richard Dunn who was playing for ROI and his last international match - If it was me in that instance I'd have twatted him - Sod any sending off (the game was just about finished) - Sod any ban as I'm retiring - Sod any potential arrest as would any ROI judge want to pass sentence against him in such a case - But it would have made so many feel better and reminded everyone for many years what a cheat TH was 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10400
    edited July 2021
    Absolute nonsense. 

If the laser had any impact on Kasper he would have been making a huge fuss, before, during or after the penalty. He didn’t know about it because it didn’t go in his eye. It’s a dumb and bad thing the person did and they should be punished/banned for it, but it’s ultimately irrelevant to the outcome of the game so any suggestion of a replay or anything is ridiculous. 

Also, the Danish has declined to make a formal complaint so it’s done. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    edited July 2021
    @guitars4you no, Maradona and Henry didn't not get banned because they were stars. They didn't get banned because the rules of football offered zero ways for Fifa to do so. 

On an entirely different note, remember this guy? Wonder when he'll try and sneak out his snivelling "well done England" posts and hope nobody notices. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/06/tory-mp-to-boycott-england-games-in-row-over-taking-the-knee?__twitter_impression=true

tFB Trader
    @guitars4you no, Maradona and Henry didn't not get banned because they were stars. They didn't get banned because the rules of football offered zero ways for Fifa to do so. 

On an entirely different note, remember this guy? Wonder when he'll try and sneak out his snivelling "well done England" posts and hope nobody notices. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/06/tory-mp-to-boycott-england-games-in-row-over-taking-the-knee?__twitter_impression=true

I take your point, but since it is FIFA who create the rules, then they can/could have responded as required - Who would have objected to the authorities taking a stance following such an incident (other than Argentina/France)

I take your point, but since it is FIFA who create the rules, then they can/could have responded as required - Who would have objected to the authorities taking a stance following such an incident (other than Argentina/France)
    I would have objected - you can't retrospectively change the rules halfway through a tournament. That would be a disgraceful thing to do. Argentina and France would rightly taken them to the cleaners too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

I would have objected - you can't retrospectively change the rules halfway through a tournament. That would be a disgraceful thing to do. Argentina and France would rightly taken them to the cleaners too. 
    But who would have expected such a rule to be put in place before hand - Rules are often changed/updated/adapted following such an incident - As far as taking them to the cleaners, the whole event would have finished by the time it got to any litigation stage 

Anyway time to move on as it won't change history and we obviously have a different view, that I dare say won't change
    If FIFA wanted to change the rules *after* the event then that would be ok. But you don't get to then retrospectively apply them, that's what I'm objecting to. 

But suddenly deciding that handballs - a frequent occurance on a football pitch - that went unpunished were suddenly worthy of a retrospective ban is not a thing that any serious sporting authority would do. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835
    If FIFA wanted to change the rules *after* the event then that would be ok. But you don't get to then retrospectively apply them, that's what I'm objecting to. 

But suddenly deciding that handballs - a frequent occurance on a football pitch - that went unpunished were suddenly worthy of a retrospective ban is not a thing that any serious sporting authority would do. 
    Agree 100% 

These incidents shape the future of the game, not retrospectively deal with the present.

Today, neither of those goals would stand, due to VAR and this is a good thing. Clear and obvious errors were made and could be corrected at the time.

The point with the Sterling penalty was that the referee was positioned in a spot where to his angle it did look like a penalty. VAR using the other angles available could not determine that a clear and obvious error has been made. 

This is the right approach for now. Trying to get every single decision 100% correct would kill the game and be next to impossible at least until technology enables us to so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1661
    Doesn't always help... 

That - is really well done :)
    I thought it was real at first until I saw Matt Berry come running on the field haha.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    DefaultM said:
    I thought it was real at first until I saw Matt Berry come running on the field haha.
    Well they do say every loser wins...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis