Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    munckee said:
    I’ve just been explaining to my son I’ve watched 10 world cups and this is my 10th euros and this is the first final I’ve seen England in.

On one level we’ve beaten our German bogey and our semi bogey so the result shouldn’t matter. 

On the other I’m fricking desperate for is to win we are so close and may never get a better chance. 
    This is a young team, with a lot of depth. They have tasted what success looks like and playing in a final will give them a level of confidence no English team has had for 50 years. 

Next year is the World Cup - they will go into that even better prepared than going into the Euros after their World Cup semi final in 2018.

Southgate has always said he wanted to build a team for long term success. I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t rest or wasn’t satisfied until they were the best team in the world. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Interesting and positive view on the England football team from the USA ... something positive for England as a nation.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    sev112 said:
    Bloody hell - apparently the Euros final isn’t on tonight .....???
    has it been cancelled or something?

Doh ! :(
    I bought posh food and posh wine and everything .
    we’ve got to watch a bloody film now :(
    Stay up til 1am and you can watch the Copa America final; Brazil v Argentina

Should be a cracker!
    Watching this game...it's like a really bad battle reenactment! Players rolling around everywhere and pure filthy tackles coming in from all sides!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12601
    I’m watching the 66 final in colour. I never realised the German keeper was knocked out cold in the first half. I know men were men back then but he would have left the stadium in an ambulance now. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    One Italian manager assesses England

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    munckee said:
    I’m watching the 66 final in colour. I never realised the German keeper was knocked out cold in the first half. I know men were men back then but he would have left the stadium in an ambulance now. 
    Tbf, based on the shit amateur dramatics of modern day footballers they should have all retired with a broken nail by the time they’re 25. 

I watched some of the game while I was waiting for my family to get ready for going to dinner. It was refreshing to see men play the game properly.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5037
    The old cliche still rings true:

Rugby players are constantly pretending that they are not injured whereas soccer players pretend that they are.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Rocker said:

Rugby players are constantly pretending that they are not injured whereas soccer players pretend that they are.

And rugby fans don't boo the opposition's national anthem.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah but rugby is for people who are too fat or too crap to play football, so it all balances out.

/s
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    blah blah blah oh rugby is so much better than football wank. Eye gouging, stamping, steroids, meat heads .
  • Rocker said:

Au contraire, rugby players took feigning injury to a whole new plain of existence...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodgate

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14836
    tFB Trader
    munckee said:
    It was only 2/3 years ago that I watched the full match - We've all seen snippets hear and there, but I watched the whole match - Alan Ball IMO would have got the MOM - tireless performance - And no subs back then 

I like the Russian linesman - What a man and what great eye sight - If you watch that segment I think Roger Hunt is key here - A natural goal scoring predator - He would know doubt have been first on the scene, ahead of any German, to finish off the job if required - He was close to the 6 yard box and he turned away to celebrate - IMO that tells you a lot - Other than that there is no clear proof of it did or didn't available from 66 - Plenty of modern day 'simulations' but not sure how accurate they are 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    I can't stand the modern theatrics but on the whole I'd say modern football is way better than old football. 

All this when 'men were men' bollocks. It really doesn't take much skill to just boot someone up in the air. Plus the fitness levels back in the 'good old days' were an absolute joke.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7361
    munckee said:
    First time I’ve seen it all the way through and what struck me was how bloody good Beckenbauer was, even then .  He would be a fantastic player in the modern day game 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    edited July 2021
    Rocker said:

Apart from blood gate, an act of premeditated cheating the likes of which has never been seen in football you mean?

Rugby supporters can piss off with their holier-than-thou bollocks.

Actually I'd better not say that, one of you will probably sneak a punch in when you think the mods aren't looking or try and blind me with an eye gouge. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    edited July 2021
    I'm totally on the fence about today's game.

https://i.imgur.com/gPkYvnK.jpg

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2864
    The reason footballers roll around and clutch their faces is not because they are weak, it is because of the significant benefits and advantages they and their teams get from doing it.   
    I used to hate it with a vengeance, but given the amount of professional and tactical fouling that goes on these days, I’ve wavered and decided that it probably evens itself out now.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    Skybet are doing 3/1 on England to win in 90 minutes, £10 maximum stake. That's very good odds.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3511
    Hattigol said:
    I can't stand the modern theatrics but on the whole I'd say modern football is way better than old football. 

All this when 'men were men' bollocks. It really doesn't take much skill to just boot someone up in the air. Plus the fitness levels back in the 'good old days' were an absolute joke.
    I disagree with you to an extent.

Football has always been great, there are incredible players who always lit up the pitch and were a delight to watch.

I agree players are fitter than they ever have been and I think has really improved the spectacle of game throughout the divisions. Football tactics are always changing, gone are the days of 4-4-2, all teams need to win the ball quickly and press. I'd not say this current form of playing the game is superior to the old one, it's just different.

But each to their own, if you enjoy the game more now than before, great for you.  I've always enjoyed being a spectator in my 30 years as a fan, there's always something exciting in the game to follow.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31975
    Saying old football was better is like saying old music was better - we've edited out the dross and are left with fond memories.

Reliving past World Cup glories are one thing, but anyone who stood on a rainy terrace at Ninian Park with me for Cardiff City vs Port Vale in 1975 would probably not be so nostalgic about it.