Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    Southgate has gone full on Churchill/Farage :) 
    No he hasn't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10398
    In what way? He’s been incredibly humble and dignified from day one to my eyes. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7222
    I think he means this:

https://news.sky.com/story/euro-2020-gareth-southgate-evokes-wartime-spirit-ahead-of-final-urging-england-fans-to-be-proud-of-an-island-our-size-12352710
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    The masks slips Gareth! I’m joking ...
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    tony99 said:
    I think he means this:

https://news.sky.com/story/euro-2020-gareth-southgate-evokes-wartime-spirit-ahead-of-final-urging-england-fans-to-be-proud-of-an-island-our-size-12352710
    Hmm. That's a bit unnecessary crap, I agree.

An that picture of Mr Johnson....  that ridiculous lying oaf makes me want to puke every time I see him. I work hard to ignore him in everyway possible way but he gets everywhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Scottish newspaper front page ... :-)

:-) :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    The National is an absolute rag. Ugh. Cringe tastic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    He has , until ..... (joking btw)
    The National is an absolute rag. Ugh. Cringe tastic. 

I'm English and I thought it was funny .. better than what the Napoli fans have done.

rze99 said:
    tony99 said:
    I think he means this:

Hmm. That's a bit unnecessary crap, I agree.

An that picture of Mr Johnson....  that ridiculous lying oaf makes me want to puke every time I see him. I work hard to ignore him in everyway possible way but he gets everywhere.
    Yea. Can’t people just leave the war rhetoric in the past? Disappointing, Gareth. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23718
    When you look at what Southgate said in full, he's not exactly invoking the Blitz spirit and he certainly hasn't gone full on Farage - he mentions it in the context of "the energy in the stadium" and says he didn't talk about it with the players.  He also talks about respect, tolerance and inclusion.  But perhaps some of it was better left unsaid when it's so easy to take things out of context.

"We have so many things here that we should be proud of that we probably underestimate that.
    "We are always looking at the negatives of our own country and yet we have got so much to be proud of and so much talent coming through in all industries really.
    "For an island our size we've got an incredible influence on the world and we've got to keep that in a positive way.
    "There are historic things that we should be proud of. We've had unbelievable inventions in this country.
    "People have tried to invade us and we've had the courage to hold that back.
    "You can't hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that. I never mentioned that to the players, but I know that's part of what that story was.
    "At heart I go back to the values that my parents gave me and treating people as you would want to be treated. Just respectful, really. 
    "There are positive things that we could help to change or influence in society.
    "The longer I've been in the role the more I've understood the importance for our fans of that connection with the team.
    "They felt part of it and that inclusivity is really important to us because I think that's what modern England is.
    "We know it hasn't always been the case and there's historic reasons for that, but that level of tolerance and inclusion is what we have to be about moving forward."

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2864
    edited July 2021
    I just love that Italy are managed by Mr Mankini :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    When you look at what Southgate said in full, he's not exactly invoking the Blitz spirit and he certainly hasn't gone full on Farage - he mentions it in the context of "the energy in the stadium" and says he didn't talk about it with the players.  He also talks about respect, tolerance and inclusion.  But perhaps some of it was better left unsaid when it's so easy to take things out of context.

"We have so many things here that we should be proud of that we probably underestimate that.
    "We are always looking at the negatives of our own country and yet we have got so much to be proud of and so much talent coming through in all industries really.
    "For an island our size we've got an incredible influence on the world and we've got to keep that in a positive way.
    "There are historic things that we should be proud of. We've had unbelievable inventions in this country.
    "People have tried to invade us and we've had the courage to hold that back.
    "You can't hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that. I never mentioned that to the players, but I know that's part of what that story was.
    "At heart I go back to the values that my parents gave me and treating people as you would want to be treated. Just respectful, really. 
    "There are positive things that we could help to change or influence in society.
    "The longer I've been in the role the more I've understood the importance for our fans of that connection with the team.
    "They felt part of it and that inclusivity is really important to us because I think that's what modern England is.
    "We know it hasn't always been the case and there's historic reasons for that, but that level of tolerance and inclusion is what we have to be about moving forward."

Thanks for posting that - Sky was obviously only interested in producing some social media clickbait which has worked a treat.

Still, there's some positive stuff if you look for it ..

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2864
    Bloody hell - apparently the Euros final isn’t on tonight .....???
    has it been cancelled or something?

Doh ! :(
    I bought posh food and posh wine and everything .
    we’ve got to watch a bloody film now :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why are they all watching on a laptop lol?
    edited July 2021
    I'm down the pub tomorrow night with 5 mates. I'm thinking we'll do it but I won't be surprised if we don't. 

I do think England are the better team and will be playing at home. We can do it! Come on!!!
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    sev112 said:
    Bloody hell - apparently the Euros final isn’t on tonight .....???
    has it been cancelled or something?

Doh ! :(
    I bought posh food and posh wine and everything .
    we’ve got to watch a bloody film now :(
    Stay up til 1am and you can watch the Copa America final; Brazil v Argentina

Should be a cracker!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14837
    tFB Trader
    Just had a couple of early door drinks in the bar with a couple of mates - 3/4 lads on the table next door asking if many will be driving around town tomorrow night, assuming we win, pipping horns and waving flags - Any FB guys think they might be doing similar

Equally the land lord has all his tables, in door and out door booked from 4 pm tomorrow, so looks like many will be rat arsed well before kick off regardless of the result of the match - I can understand the logic of a couple of beers if we win, but I'd rather watch it and take it all in sober than wrecked 
  • Just had a couple of early door drinks in the bar with a couple of mates - 3/4 lads on the table next door asking if many will be driving around town tomorrow night, assuming we win, pipping horns and waving flags - Any FB guys think they might be doing similar

Equally the land lord has all his tables, in door and out door booked from 4 pm tomorrow, so looks like many will be rat arsed well before kick off regardless of the result of the match - I can understand the logic of a couple of beers if we win, but I'd rather watch it and take it all in sober than wrecked 
    No chance. My nerves are already shot, I reckon I'll need a few to settle me down before the game.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12602
    I’ve just been explaining to my son I’ve watched 10 world cups and this is my 10th euros and this is the first final I’ve seen England in.

On one level we’ve beaten our German bogey and our semi bogey so the result shouldn’t matter. 

On the other I’m fricking desperate for is to win we are so close and may never get a better chance. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom