Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    I think that there would have been racial abuse if they had won as well. There is always going to be that moronic element of the population that think it is acceptable to do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    I thought that removing the 2nd place medals, as if in protest of something sends the wrong message to an all or nothing audience. 2nd place in such a tournament is extraordinary. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    I thought that removing the 2nd place medals, as if in protest of something sends the wrong message to an all or nothing audience. 2nd place in such a tournament is extraordinary. 

It's probably good that they are unhappy about losing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    edited July 2021

True, in the Olympics it's celebrated and seen as something worthwhile. Not often the case in tournament competitions though and you could only imagine the press if someone like rashford actually smiled at a receiving a 2nd place medal.

Still they are the only English men's team to score a goal in a major final for 55 years. The show's not only how hard it is, but also that the achievement is worth celebrating.

I hope in time the players understand that Euro 2020 was a huge success and who knows... Maybe this will drive then on to even bigger things in the world cup.

But English "fans" can fuck right off.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    I like Gareth Southgate, but does anyone else feel like it’s time we changed the manager? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    duotone said:
    I like Gareth Southgate, but does anyone else feel like it’s time we changed the manager? 

I don’t. A semi and a final in two tournaments outperforms evey other England manager. I don’t think he has iffy tactics just making the most with the players he has. He brought in the two holding midfielders as our centre backs are not world class - we’ve become incredibly difficult to beat. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23623
    duotone said:

As they were saying on the radio last night, who would you suggest instead?  I think somebody said Mark Noble, unless I misunderstood...
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 569
    Great tournemant, some real major highs, some fantastic football . . . So what ! we didnt win, and that sucks, but thats not a low . . . So proud of our Team . . .

The Racist comments towards some of our players on social media is sickening as far as I'm concerned . . .

Total idiots  . . . Men or Women, boys or girls . . .  just faceless cowards who should really know better . . . Move on !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    duotone said:

Calling for a manager to go or for a change when we are consistently getting worse, or stagnated is understandable, but calling for a manager to go when we are getting better consistently over time? Madness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    I don't usually like the phrase "well could you do better?", but the kind of people giving out abuse are ones who are so deluded they genuinely think they could. So arrange some kind of day where these people try and score against an ageing David Seaman or something, and when they fail pelt them with pig shit. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    Southgate is probably the best manager England have had in the last fifty years, and certainly since before the era of 'star' managers. OK he made some mistakes and they didn't actually win the final, but to actually get there is a major achievement and the direct result of the way he's gone about building the team. Replacing him now would be lunacy.

Anyway, to my great surprise he's actually made me interested in the sport - at national level, I still can't be bothered with club football - for about the first time since I was a teenager, so I like him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    I think they should make the goals at each end diferent sizes, have one huge and one small

teams both change ends at half time so they both have a go at scoring loads in the big goal, it will enourage attacking play and hopefully do away with too many matches being decided by pennos

it also raises awareness of diversity by celebrating difference x
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 446
    Southgate has done amazing. He has changed the culture which is that very hardest part of managing teams. A semi final and a final in two back to back major tournaments with a young team is amazing. Let’s celebrate and appreciate this success. Well done to all the England camp. 
    How does football work at the Olympics? Is it like a world cup type thing with all the same players?
  • Apparently most of the abuse has come from overseas accounts, and not English people after all - according to Southgate.

Bye!

Apparently most of the abuse has come from overseas accounts, and not English people after all - according to Southgate.

Its no coincidence that a few pages ago he was being compared to a military leader, and now he's blaming the foreigners. His plan is coming together.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    I think they should make the goals at each end diferent sizes, have one huge and one small

teams both change ends at half time so they both have a go at scoring loads in the big goal, it will enourage attacking play and hopefully do away with too many matches being decided by pennos

Scottish club football is already like this. They’re not celebrating diversity, they’re just muppets.
  • DefaultM said:
    Apparently most of the abuse has come from overseas accounts, and not English people after all - according to Southgate.

Its no coincidence that a few pages ago he was being compared to a military leader, and now he's blaming the foreigners. His plan is coming together.
    I can't even parse that....

Bye!

• tony99 said:

Bye!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    Southgate is probably the best manager England have had in the last fifty years, and certainly since before the era of 'star' managers. OK he made some mistakes and they didn't actually win the final, but to actually get there is a major achievement and the direct result of the way he's gone about building the team. Replacing him now would be lunacy.

Anyway, to my great surprise he's actually made me interested in the sport - at national level, I still can't be bothered with club football - for about the first time since I was a teenager, so I like him.

Not sure. Sir Bobby Robson led England to the semi-finals of the 1990 World Cup, where England lost to West Germany on penalties after a 1-1 draw. Terry Venables managed a semi-final spot at Euro 96 and put out a team that beat Holland 4-1. I'd say they had to beat some tough opposition. OK, England didn't make any finals but they led decent England teams that played attractive football.

Southgate is an excellent manager and he's confirmed he's staying for the World Cup but he needs more tactical nous. He should have responded to Mancini's changes, and dare I say taken Kane off. And unfortunately, Southgate won't escape the charge from Italy and Germany that England had an unfair advantage as all but one of England's games were played on home soil at Wembley.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!