Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Not sure why Southgate’s tactics are coming under so much fire. We didn’t actually lose the match. We lost the penalty lottery. 

We were only ever going to win through slight margins…. a ball slipped through the Italy defensive line to a runner, a set piece or a well placed cross. On the night those things just didn’t go our way. 

Could have been 2:1 and we’d all be calling it a tactical master class. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    edited July 2021
    Bozzer ain't gonna condemn the racists, that's like shitting on his own doorstep eh? 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    jellyroll said:
    Not sure why Southgate’s tactics are coming under so much fire. We didn’t actually lose the match. We lost the penalty lottery. 

We were only ever going to win through slight margins…. a ball slipped through the Italy defensive line to a runner, a set piece or a well placed cross. On the night those things just didn’t go our way. 

Could have been 2:1 and we’d all be calling it a tactical master class. 
    It’s football. People always know better. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12579
    Bozzer ain't gonna condemn the racists, that's like shitting on his own doorstep eh? 
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/12/fa-condemns-racist-abuse-england-players-social-media-euro-2020-final

Absolute guff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    I was going to say something about the racism issue, but we need to keep the politics out of this thread.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7330
    It would be fascinating if a manager had to explain his approach to a game afterwards to the fans via the media (this isn’t a serious suggestion but it would be interesting)

Southgate knows more about football than all of us combined . For example , I would have made changes on the hour as we were really losing momentum and confidence on the ball . We were basically giving Italy the ball and saying ‘break  us down’

Southgate would have seen this but there would have been a reason why he didn’t change anything . Probably a very clever and legitimate reason and knowing that stuff would  give a regular fan like me a whole different understanding and appreciation of the game.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    It would be fascinating if a manager had to explain his approach to a game afterwards to the fans via the media (this isn’t a serious suggestion but it would be interesting)

Southgate knows more about football than all of us combined . For example , I would have made changes on the hour as we were really losing momentum and confidence on the ball . We were basically giving Italy the ball and saying ‘break  us down’

Southgate would have seen this but there would have been a reason why he didn’t change anything . Probably a very clever and legitimate reason and knowing that stuff would  give a regular fan like me a whole different understanding and appreciation of the game.
    However, there would always be people shouting that they know better, as if their armchair gives them some superpower and better nuanced tactics compared to the 'experts'. Just like in anything to do with life.

Just look at the Politics and Covid forums on here for example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:

However, there would always be people shouting that they know better, as if their armchair gives them some superpower and better nuanced tactics compared to the 'experts'. Just like in anything to do with life.

Just look at the Politics and Covid forums on here for example.

There are hundreds of thousands of people, possibly millions, who could do a better job than our politicians.  It's just that our system requires people who work the slimy political party machinery to reach the top.  The people who would be good at leading don't want to do that, so we end up with those who are hungry for power, instead of those who would be good leaders.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27973

Southgate knows more about football than all of us combined . 

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    crunchman said:

There are hundreds of thousands of people, possibly millions, who could do a better job than our politicians.  It's just that our system requires people who work the slimy political party machinery to reach the top.  The people who would be good at leading don't want to do that, so we end up with those who are hungry for power, instead of those who would be good leaders.
    I wonder if there will be a point in the not too distant future where AI takes over general governance. I think Rousseau had the exact same complaints in the 1700s as we do today and hoped the emerging industrialisation would produce a 'government machine' to take the corruption out of politics - Just machines to make big decisions, programmed by men with compassion and vision.

Keeping on topic, I think AI analysis will soon become a bigger part of football preparation and tactics - moneyballing the game at a whole new level.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Just to reiterate my warning - keep off the politics - there’s a bit of a sniff of it coming back in… please keep it on topic to the footy only please
  • Bozzer ain't gonna condemn the racists, that's like shitting on his own doorstep eh? 
    Except he has...

Anyway, can you all please trot off back to P&E? Leave the football thread to people who want to talk football?
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23624
    Just to reiterate my warning - keep off the politics - there’s a bit of a sniff of it coming back in… please keep it on topic to the footy only please
    Oh shit.  You said "footy"...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    I think Southgate managed that last game very poorly.

He had a goalkeeper with 7 defensive players in front of him. And to think we stereotype the Italians as being defensive and boring.

The fact he hadn't changed it by the time the Italians scored suggests he thought they could hold on for 90 mins. I was in a room with about 15 people - not one of us thought that would happen.

Letting the Italians play by us sitting back so deep meant that they established themselves as the attacking force in the game and it became sufficiently entrenched that when he made his subs, they couldn't really make an impact on the dynamics.

I don't mind losing - we've had enough practice at it. But I am really angry at the fact that we didn't have a good enough go at them. We didn't attack them. No shots in target in the last 118 minutes....in a home fixture. We had players that could have tested Chiellini and Bonucci but didn't bring them on. 

And bringing players on to take penalties as opposed to players who have been kicking a ball all night is really really poor decision-making - as was putting Saka 5th. These are all Southgate's decisions.

I'm proud we got to the final. But really annoyed with how poorly the final was managed.

I don't think for a second he should be sacked but I'd much prefer it if he reconsidered his 'no risk' strategy in games - at times, he made Mourinho's style of football seem adventurous.

You may disagree. It's football, after all.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    I don't think for a second he should be sacked but I'd much prefer it if he reconsidered his 'no risk' strategy in games - at times, he made Mourinho's style of football seem adventurous.

Maybe not yet - they probably need a rest - but I'd be very surprised if he and his coaching team don't micro-analyse every decision during this tournament and consider how they can be just a little more attacking and adventurous, whilst minimising the risks.

Which sounds like stating the bleeding obvious even as I write it, but I'm not at all sure that's how things have been done in the past.  It was more of case of he's failed, sack him, bring in someone else and go on about "passion" a lot.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Philly_Q said:
    Hattigol said:

Maybe not yet - they probably need a rest - but I'd be very surprised if he and his coaching team don't micro-analyse every decision during this tournament and consider how they can be just a little more attacking and adventurous, whilst minimising the risks.

Which sounds like stating the bleeding obvious even as I write it, but I'm not at all sure that's how things have been done in the past.  It was more of case of he's failed, sack him, bring in someone else and go on about "passion" a lot.
    I remember Sven certainly had a thing for passion. If you believe Ulrika, that is.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    Philly_Q said:
    Oh shit.  You said "footy"...

See. People do say it. :lol: 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    As a big overview I think GH has given us something to build on, plus some hope and to something to be proud off - We all know not everything is hunky dory and with the players he has available, he will learn and adapt (hope so) - Sadly only 1 team can win and even Messi has only just won his 1st ever tournament for Argentina

But in recent years we've had some low points - Since 1990 then Graham Taylor, Sven, McClaren, Capello, Roy Hodgson have all taken us down the road of 'piss poor effort' And IMO have been ultra poor choices as manager

But in recent years we've had some low points - Since 1990 then Graham Taylor, Sven, McClaren, Capello, Roy Hodgson have all taken us down the road of 'piss poor effort' And IMO have been ultra poor choices as manager

Southgate is undoubtedly better than any of them.

You missed Hoddle off the list.  He was useless.  His man management skills were appalling.  He also went to the World Cup in 1998 with Graeme Le Saux as the only left footed player in the entire squad - and he promptly got injured.
    crunchman said:
    You missed Hoddle off the list.  He was useless.  His man management skills were appalling.  He also went to the World Cup in 1998 with Graeme Le Saux as the only left footed player in the entire squad - and he promptly got injured.
    I'm surprised Eileen Drewery wasn't able to get Graeme sorted out.  Maybe he didn't believe strongly enough.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom