Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited July 2021
    Still devastated. 

Italy were just too good and England couldn't get a grip. Penalties were poor and I feel bad for Saka, at that age, being picked to take the final penalty. 

That needs to be analysed desperately because it's happened far too many times...

Still, an excellent competition for England from a wonderful team of likeable players, with a good manager. 

Racists can piss fight off. They're the scourge of society. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Philly_Q said:
    duotone said:
    I like Gareth Southgate, but does anyone else feel like it’s time we changed the manager? 

As they were saying on the radio last night, who would you suggest instead?  I think somebody said Mark Noble, unless I misunderstood...
    @Philly_Q ;
    Was listening to a podcast today & 1 name they threw into the mix was Steven Gerrard. At first I thought “Nah”, now the later in the day we get I’m starting to think differently.

I think one thing they like about Southgate is there is no scandal with him, he’s a family man. After the scandals of past managers (Sven Goran Eriksson + Ulrika Johnson/ Sam Allardyce + brown envelopes etc.) it’s good to have stability & someone they can trust.

I just can’t help feeling with the talent in that team & probably the strongest bench in the tournament (£80M Jadon Sancho etc.) we should have won it with the run of games we had + 7 out of 8 games being played at Wembley on home soil.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Tory MP Natalie Elphicke said Marcus Rashford should have practised taking penalties instead of 'playing politics' by campaigning for free school meals for poor pupils in lockdown.

She should resign. Vile woman.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

Tory MP Natalie Elphicke said Marcus Rashford should have practised taking penalties instead of 'playing politics' by campaigning for free school meals for poor pupils in lockdown.

Ehhh. If he can get involved in projects outside of his work, then she can say stupid shit outside of her work. I don't see the issue.

Bye!

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13039
    In "playing politics" Rashford has done more for the poorest members of society than most MPs will in their whole careers. Not surprised idiots like Elphicke are bitter about it, he's shown exactly how ineffectual most of them are.

As for Southgate - there's absolutely no way that England will get rid of him (and rightly so) but I think he's taken the team as far as he can. I just hope that when he does go it's on his own terms and not hounded out like most international managers are. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Oooft. Turns out Tyrone Mings is another England international who is better at politics than our professional politicians. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

Ehhh. If he can get involved in projects outside of his work, then she can say stupid shit outside of her work. I don't see the issue.

Rashford criticised the Tory government's lack of funding support for meals for poorer kids at school and shamed BoJo into action. Her statement is bang out of order given all the abuse Rashford is currently getting. She's been forced to issue a grovelling apology but I don't think she's the sort of person we need at Westminster. She's tone-deaf.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23624
    edited July 2021
    Oooft. Turns out Tyrone Mings is another England international who is better at politics than our professional politicians. 

This was quoted on 5 Live in the last half hour.  Nedum Onuoha was almost speechless in response.
    I've heard Tyrone Mings interviewed several times over the last few months, he seems a very smart guy and speaks extremely well.
  • Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Rashford criticised the Tory government's lack of funding support for meals for poorer kids at school and shamed BoJo into action. Her statement is bang out of order given all the abuse Rashford is currently getting. She's been forced to issue a grovelling apology but I don't think she's the sort of person we need at Westminster. She's tone-deaf.

I know all that.

Doesn't change my statement.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression is for everyone. Not just botox popstars and blue-check marked verified arseholes.

Bye!

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7330
    Philly_Q said:

This was quoted on 5 Live in the last half hour.  Nedum Onuoha was almost speechless in response.
    I've heard Tyrone Mings interviewed several times over the last few months, he seems a very smart guy and speaks extremely well.
    I’ve met him briefly through work and he came across really well . It’s worth noting he went to Millfield School so I can imagine him being academically bright as well as switched on in respect of his social responsibilities. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    munckee said:
    duotone said:
    I like Gareth Southgate, but does anyone else feel like it’s time we changed the manager? 

I don’t. A semi and a final in two tournaments outperforms evey other England manager. I don’t think he has iffy tactics just making the most with the players he has. He brought in the two holding midfielders as our centre backs are not world class - we’ve become incredibly difficult to beat. 
    All my opinion of course but I don't enjoy his style of play. The things I found to be continually annoying.

We have a back 6 with Rice and Phillips sat so deep and I just don't see what benefit that brings in the transition into attack. Tapping 5 yard passes across the back 4/6... I just don't get it. It's probably why maguire ended up having a few runs because those two weren't driving play forward from midfield.

With rice and Phillips so deep there was nothing in the middle if the break was on and it felt like our only option was to go long to Sterling (I have to give Sterling his due, he was our best player for me, just wish he would use his left foot!).

Phillips set pieces were woeful and lacked intelligence. 

Kane was having to drop deep because there was hardly any service behind him. He doesn't seem as mobile as he used to be and I think we would all agree that he is more effective in the box than he is trying to hit 40 yard cross field hollywood passes. 

Mason mount. I'm not sure what his role was. I think he's good for Chelsea. Seems to be neither a midfielder or a 10 for England. For me Forden or grealish would excel here if given the freedom to express themselves. I dont think Gareth likes creativity as he ultimately sees it as risk.

I also fail to see the value Hendersons cameos bought the team. He just seemed like a less mobile Declan Rice.

We have some truly exceptional talent in that squad. Grealish unlocks teams but never gets started, Sancho has been devastating at dortmund but hasn't had a sniff. Not sure why James wasn't the starting right back. He has been great this season.

It's not all doom and gloom and there are positives but my post isn't about that.

Football is entertainment,  I don't long for George Graham football at Arsenal, (or that brand of drab Mr Arteta is pedalling). I want free flowing, attacking excitement. Yes get the basics right but not at the cost of "the beautiful game". 

Fuck, even Italy played attacking football. Italy! The Kings of score one and lockout the game.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • In "playing politics" Rashford has done more for the poorest members of society than most MPs will in their whole careers. 
    And things like this, they feel great to say I'm sure. Not a pube of evidence for it mind you.

Bye!

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    Fretwired said:

I guess there isn't an issue in the right to say that, it's just a shame that she did. It doesn't reflect well and really, what purpose does it serve?

Personally would much rather Rashford carried on campaigning for school meals than practicing penalties.

I was gutted when he hit the post. I knew he'd get crap thrown at him if he missed. Really doesn't deserve it.
  • Fretwired said:

I guess there isn't an issue in the right to say that, it's just a shame that she did. It doesn't reflect well and really, what purpose does it serve?

Personally would much rather Rashford carried on campaigning for school meals than practicing penalties.

I was gutted when he hit the post. I knew he'd get crap thrown at him if he missed. Really doesn't deserve it.
    Agreed on all points.

We were all shocked. And at that moment I was really hoping for sudden death lol.

Bye!

In "playing politics" Rashford has done more for the poorest members of society than most MPs will in their whole careers. 
    And things like this, they feel great to say I'm sure. 
    Doubt it's as big a rush as you get every time someone gives you an excuse to play the edgelord cynic but I'll take the endorphins regardless. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In "playing politics" Rashford has done more for the poorest members of society than most MPs will in their whole careers. 
    And things like this, they feel great to say I'm sure. 
    Doubt it's as big a rush as you get every time someone gives you an excuse to play the edgelord cynic but I'll take the endorphins regardless. 
    Shut up, cuck.

Bye!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited July 2021
    Fretwired said:

Democracy is meant to encourage participation. Everyone is meant to benefit from an educated, participating electorate, right? Well, these awful, awful  public servants are not only criticising a man who has taken on the government to feed children, and won, and done their job for them, they are also demonising and discouraging citizens for getting involved.

I can understand why the public don't get the nuance and just think 'shut up' you're a footballer not a MP, but it amazes me that elected officials do not get the basic tenets of democracy and end up acting like this. But I guess it's because he is literally embarrassing this awfully, corrupt and incompetent government and they're trying to appeal to a certain mindset. 

You'd have to wonder with a statement like that if she's been spending all her time practicing penalties rather than spending the time to understand the fundamental principles of democracy, politics and societal participation. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I know all that.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression is for everyone. Not just botox popstars and blue-check marked verified arseholes.

The MP linked Rashford's inability to score in the final to his campaigning for kid's meals which is utter nonsense. If she wants to criticise his campaigning work then fine but don't link it to the Euro final. She was clearly out to score political points and get social media likes (which she did) - it backfired. This has nothing to do with free speech - she can say what she likes but then I have the right to call her a vile creature for jumping on a social media bandwagon criticising a black England footballer. It was a dumb statement from someone who should have known better.

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited July 2021
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I know all that.

The MP linked Rashford's inability to score in the final to his campaigning for kid's meals which is utter nonsense. If she wants to criticise his campaigning work then fine but don't link it to the Euro final. She was clearly out to score political points and get social media likes (which she did) - it backfired. This has nothing to do with free speech - she can say what she likes but then I have the right to call her a vile creature for jumping on a social media bandwagon criticising a black England footballer. It was a dumb statement from someone who should have known better.
    I know all that too. It's not true to say she was out for social media likes. Her comment was made on a private WhatsApp group that someone leaked. She said it in an off-the-clock "here is my stupid opinion" kind of way. She certainly wasn't representing her position or government when she said it.

So it still doesn't change my statement.

People calling for job losses and social detriments are clear in their beliefs - they don't believe that freedom of expression should be available for all. Well I do. From the lowliest street urchin to the queen herself.

Bye!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9714
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I know all that.

I know all that too. It's not true to say she was out for social media likes. Her comment was made on a private WhatsApp group that someone leaked. She said it in an off-the-clock "here is my stupid opinion" kind of way. She certainly wasn't representing her position or government when she said it.

So it still doesn't change my statement.

People calling for job losses and social detriments are clear in their beliefs - they don't believe that freedom of expression should be available for all. Well I do. From the lowliest street urchin to the queen herself.
    I agree 100% with you here Drew; we are becoming such a righteous and judgemental society, and are continually condemning people for what they say.

Strange times...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom