Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Oh dear. Politics all over this now. Shame, it was a good thread. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Do you all promise to play nicely and keep the politics in the right section?

If so, carry on discussing the football. If not, it’ll be permanently closed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader

Do you get paid enough for this shit?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Good God no. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965

If you put it like that....
  • Do you all promise to play nicely and keep the politics in the right section?

Good God no. 
    Best get a job then!

Bye!

Good God no. 
    Best get a job then!
    I’m thinking about becoming a football pundit
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader

Good God no. 
    It could be a lot worse. I’m not sure how but I mean it could be a lot worse.

* Unless you actually have to moderate a dedicated political area on a guitar forum 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1129
    Not quite the result we expected but can be proud of the national team for getting as far as the final and holding the winners til penalties. Feel sorry for Saka who had the unfortunate burden of the decisive penalty on his shoulders but fair play to him for having the balls to take one in a final. The abuse he's getting on Instagram is disgraceful, he doesn't deserve it as he's been superb in the tournament and its a shame it had to be concluded with that one penalty save. He'll bounce back though as he's got enough ability to come round again and succeed.
  • Ffs. Sports is one of few things I consider sacred. An escape from miserable shit like work or political bullshittery. People need to stop trying to ruin one of few things that people enjoy and unifies the masses, by bringing in shitty political agendas into it.

Can we not just be happy? First major final in 55 years, put up a competent display against the best team in the competition, and proved that the future of the sport in this country is bright - yet you'd rather all talk politics, get in a tizzy and start debating who's right and who's wrong? Get a grip.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1420
    A semi final and a final for England. You got to stick with Southgate. Onwards and upwards.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15864
    A semi final and a final for England. You got to stick with Southgate. Onwards and upwards.
    gotta say, the idea of sacking our most successful manager in like, a thousand years or something, is crazy talk. Especially when you think how young that team is and how much potential there is there, looks to me there's still a lot of upside to keeping him.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

I know all that too. It's not true to say she was out for social media likes. Her comment was made on a private WhatsApp group that someone leaked. She said it in an off-the-clock "here is my stupid opinion" kind of way. She certainly wasn't representing her position or government when she said it.

So it still doesn't change my statement.

People calling for job losses and social detriments are clear in their beliefs - they don't believe that freedom of expression should be available for all. Well I do. From the lowliest street urchin to the queen herself.

OK, it was a closed WhatsApp group - it's still social media. She obviously did it in the naive belief it would improve her standing in the Tory party. Of course, it was always going to be published online - she must have known it would happen. Politicians should be above such partisan comments - our politics is screwed. Along come the Euros and Boris and co suddenly decide they're football fans. We have to isolate and wear masks yet the UEFA elite can turn up without a vaccination.

As a politician, you can say what you like - however, you should be held to a higher standard than Joe Public. The comment was crass and ill-advised which is my point. She has made a grovelling apology which tells you all you need to know.

Good to have a debate without abuse. I get what you are saying and I always support free speech, but not when it is opportunistic and, in this case, at the expense of an England player who missed a penalty. Poor old Rashford is getting enough social media abuse without a Tory MP joining in.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Let's take it offline Tim. Let the footies have their thread ;)

Bye!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited July 2021
    Roll on the World Cup then I guess.
  • Bye!

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    Well that's way off coz orangytangs are only ingenious to indonesia and borneo so keep pollitix out of futball!!

Oi oi!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • sammysabersammysaber Frets: 707
    Sammy's random thoughts : 

Italy vs Belgium - could not believe how good Italy was, usual gamesmanship but they were stunning. Best team of the tournament on that performance. Next game against Spain who were useless in attack while dominating the game, still managed to go through via pens. Two centre backs who are proper leaders.

Pickford - desperately unlucky that his save hit the inside of the post. Saved 2 of the penalties.Well done.

Football fan over 50 years old - remember when Zico missed the penalty against France in '86 as he'd just come on and all the pundits and the commentator saying the reason was he'd barely kicked the ball prior and indeed he scored later in the shoot out. Pretty much what everyone said last night.

Kane manned up and took the first pen despite his miss against Denmark - well done to him. But look through his performances and he is not Maradona.

Probably the same shits who caused trouble in Central London and tried to get into Wembley had nothing left to do but post abuse. Even Lando Norris got his watch stolen - what low-lifes.

Well done to the whole team for getting this far me thinks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3699
    Southgate is to be congratulated for getting the club spirit amongst the team but IMO he went far too defensive against Italy.

I hoped he would have brought on Grealish and Foden or Sancho at the beginning of extra time and really gone at the Italians in the last half hour, plus fresh legs.

I can't comprehend bringing on two players right at the end for penalties who have hardly had a kick to take pens in a pressure situation. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    Neil said:
    Southgate is to be congratulated for getting the club spirit amongst the team but IMO he went far too defensive against Italy.

I hoped he would have brought on Grealish and Foden or Sancho at the beginning of extra time and really gone at the Italians in the last half hour, plus fresh legs.

I can't comprehend bringing on two players right at the end for penalties who have hardly had a kick to take pens in a pressure situation. 

He definitely got the substitutions wrong, and should have gone for the win before penalties.

He did do a lot right though.  He seems to be a good man manager, unlike some previous England managers, and the players are united and play for him.  He's not trying to shoehorn too many attacking players into the team.  There were two or three previous managers who persistently tried to play Gerrard and Lampard together, and didn't play a holding midfielder to do the dirty work.

I think he also understands the limitations of the players.  Our centre backs aren't great, and playing Rice and Phillips to protect them has mostly avoided them getting exposed, along with Walker's pace to bail them out.   The downside of that is that RIce and Walker are not good passers of the ball, and give the ball away a lot.  The negative approach has its downsides, but given the limitations of the players we have, he has got better results than I expected.