Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAD- Victory V30 Countess!

What's Hot
FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
edited August 2014 in Amps

Well i finally pulled the trigger yesterday and donated a large sum of money to 'The Captains' coffers.

Bought a Victory V30 Countess and a BB Preamp pedal as well.

Only arrived a few hrs ago so only had a quick bash on it. Its got a shit load of gain on it and is in classic rock territory at just number 2 on the overdrive gain knob. By the time you get to 3/4 it becomes well muddy but i wouldn't want to run it that high anyway.

Is a darker sounding overdrive compared to the old Cornford amps though not as dark as my old carvin legacy head. Using with a 2x12 cab loaded with V30's i'm thinking its too dark for me. Lead tones sound nice but rhythm playing sounds too dark so may have to look at a speaker swap if i keep the amp. Any suggestions for a better speaker would be grateful?

The clean is nice but not Fender sparkling clean but is still very usable and so much better than the clean channel from the old Cornford MK5011, that was a god awful clean channel to my ears.

Not much more to say at the moment but its bloody loud and can only get up to 1 on the master volume before its too loud for my house. Even in 2 Watt mode i can only get it up to number 2.

It needs a proper bash at a rehearsal but i don't have one until next Saturday when i'm auditioning Vocalists and Drummers for a new function band i'm putting together so that will be the yay or nay day!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    If I'd just bought an amp and gave it a mini review like that I'd be taking it back the next day. You haven't even got a 'honeymoon' period with it. If you buy a new amp or guitar and you are not VERY happy with at least part of it, then it's not the one for you. It sounds like it doesn't do any of the things you want it to do, TBH.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Agree with Adamski - not a great endorsement, send it back before it's too late!

These amps have had a lot of slating on here it seems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn't it really made for heavy rock and lead, where a slightly darker tone is a good thing?

It might be worth asking the builder (if they're hand made? I don't know) if they can make it a bit brighter for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I must admit that I've had eye on this since Feb and was expecting 'wow' when I plugged it in.

I really do need to open it up in a practice room on the full 30 watt mode before passing a conclusive judgement.

The lower wattage modes do affect the overdrive tone as well. So the full 30 watt tone is obviously what it's designed for. But for home use i would need to run it through impulses or risk the neighbours wanting a punch up lol.

• ThePrettyDamned;310551" said:
    Isn't it really made for heavy rock and lead, where a slightly darker tone is a good thing?

Possibly yes. The lead tone is great but the rhythm doesn't sit to well. If I add more treble then the clean becomes to shrill. Shared eq for you.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
    edited August 2014
    I'm going round the houses with amps now. Starting to get pissed off with it to be honest.

Will end up playing my Pod HD direct through the p.a again at this rate.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited August 2014
    Meh, it might open right up at volume - and don't be afraid to go to extremes on the controls! :)
  • ThePrettyDamned;310570" said:
    Meh, it might open right up at volume - and don't be afraid to go to extremes on the controls! :)
    Yeah hoping it will :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I think you have to get it full open before you know anything. Loads of great amps sound a bit poo in low power mode.

I don't use the pure tone in full attenuation mode even at home as it loses all the shimmer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
    edited August 2014
    Well the wife went out earlier and i know the neighbors were out too so i cranked it up.

The result:   Rang Andertons and its going back!

Tone is compressed compared to the Cornford amps. Overall very disappointed!

Onward and upwards 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Shame that after the excitement of a NAD, but the right decision. I wonder what the return rate on the Victory's are, as I've read of similar disappointments.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    Well the wife went out earlier and i know the neighbors were out too so i cranked it up.

Onward and upwards 
    i hate to say i told you so..

get a friedman!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude;311018" said:
    Shame that after the excitement of a NAD, but the right decision. I wonder what the return rate on the Victory's are, as I've read of similar disappointments.
    Think the return rate is pretty high.
  • leerocker;311026" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

Onward and upwards 

i hate to say i told you so..

get a friedman!
    Yes buddy you were bang on. Had to hear them for myself though and a huge let down.

Too dark and compressed for my liking. The overdrive gain knob gets out of control practically from the off. Not quite sure why Martin Kidd didn't continue where he left off with Cornford.

Should have known better than to buy an amp from a company with Chappers on the roster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • leerocker;311026" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:
    get a friedman!
    Friedman is looking like the next in line to try. Maybe the Small Box as the Brown eye is out of my price range.

What's the clean like ?
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Surprising to say the least, was thinking about one as a possibility but don't think I'll bother now.
  • Oh man, that's a shame. I reckon it's an excellent amp for Alter Bridge style lead sounds, but I can't be doing with massively compressed rhythm.

Big shame. Still, onwards and upwards - maybe they'll let you exchange for something more suitable :)
  • sted;311040" said:
    Surprising to say the least, was thinking about one as a possibility but don't think I'll bother now.
    It may be right up your street but there is a pattern emerging here with these amps.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    edited October 2014
    Fortheloveofguitar;310999" said:

Onward and upwards 
    That is really disappointing. We were in the same boat but I'll maybe avoid now. 
  • ThePrettyDamned;311051" said:
    Oh man, that's a shame. I reckon it's an excellent amp for Alter Bridge style lead sounds, but I can't be doing with massively compressed rhythm.

Big shame. Still, onwards and upwards - maybe they'll let you exchange for something more suitable :)
    I've asked for a straight refund. Can't keep buying blind anymore it's costing me £20 a time to ship stuff back.

Need to travel to shops more or make friends with the kind locals on here who may let me demo some of their gear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom