Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAD- Victory V30 Countess!

What's Hot

Comments

• Deijavoo;311069" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar;310999" said:Well the wife went out earlier and i know the neighbors were out too so i cranked it up.

The result:   Rang Andertons and its going back!

Tone is compressed compared to the Cornford amps. Overall very disappointed!

Onward and upwards 

That is really disappointing. We were in the same boat but I'll definitely avoid now. 
    Yes mate I know you were keen to hear what I thought. I'm not going to outright slag it off as some will love it. But I'm personally let down with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Shows what some post fx can do when YouTube demos are made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was fighting with it for hrs trying to find a sweet spot with it. Never got there.

The wow should have been there almost straight out of the box.
    I'm gonna stick to getting an attenuator then. Never mind, you've saved me some hassle mate, cheers! 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    Oh man, that;s a shame as this was one of the amps which I was really looking forward to try. Seems like they're not getting much love (all Victory amps I mean).
  • Deijavoo;311079" said:
    I'm gonna stick to getting an attenuator then. Never mind, you've saved me some hassle mate, cheers! 
    Even in the lower wattage 2 watt mode it's too loud and the lower you go it changes the gain sound so gets more mushy.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I was fighting with it for hrs trying to find a sweet spot with it. Never got there.

The wow should have been there almost straight out of the box.
    thats exactly right...for me, basically, everything at 12 o'clock should be a that amps base tone and if that doesn't come close to what I want to hear, then I wouldn't spend more than 10 with it.

Deijavoo said:
    Shows what some post fx can do when YouTube demos are made.
    To be honest, none of the video demo's haven done anything for me either...everything i hear online sounds very sterile...they almost sound a bit Blackstar'ish...not saying its bad, just no my cup of tea. Even when they did the Guthrie session...apart from Guthrie sounding like Guthrie and being blown away with his guitar playing, I was never taken by the tone that was coming out of the amps.
  • The V30 in the Guthrie video did sound the worst of the bunch. But I put that down to the boxy 1x12 cab.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    leerocker;311026" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:
    get a friedman!
    Friedman is looking like the next in line to try. Maybe the Small Box as the Brown eye is out of my price range.

What's the clean like ?
    i have both and the smallbox does a great clean in the plexi channel, brown eye has the better clean as its a dedicated clean channel, but the small box has that fat warm old marshall clean which is great too.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited August 2014
    @Forhteloveofguitar... if you had a Cornford why did you let it go??

My Roadhouse combo has never excelled at clean stuff like a Fender amp, but I managed to find joy in the things it does well... they ain't obvious, but time and tweaking have proved it to be a good amp when you want classic British EL34 territory - it sits in there quite nicely. I was a bit miffed at first cos Guitarist gave it a GOLD when came out saying was full of tones... well, coming from a Bassman I had a massive reality check... But I added other amps and kept it and now have a nice cross section of stuff to chose from - which is nice...

It can't be bad for the Cornford 'brand' all this Victory indifference... prices will be on the up soon...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Cornford went over 3 years ago to pay towards my divorce along with half of my other gear. You did ask ;)

Wanted something smaller now with 'that' tone and thought Martin had got it bang on with this new line but unfortunately not.

The quest goes on. I'd have an Mk50 mk11 again but the clean is awful on that amp.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another thing that I find annoying with the Victory range is the cheap look of the foot switches.

For £1500+ for the large heads you'd think they'd spend a few quid having them powder coated with the writing on it. Instead it's just a universal black box with really shitty labels stuck on and in most cases from what I've seen on FB they're on the piss.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Oh dear, it looked great on paper!
    Another thing that I find annoying with the Victory range is the cheap look of the foot switches.

For £1500+ for the large heads you'd think they'd spend a few quid having them powder coated with the writing on it. Instead it's just a universal black box with really shitty labels stuck on and in most cases from what I've seen on FB they're on the piss.

Thats exactly what i thought when i bought the v100. 3 separate footswitches for the amp , apparently they did this to keep the cost down, For the life of me i dont understand why they didnt carry on with the mk50ii style footswitch which was perfect, Id be suprised if victory are still going in a couple of years at this rate ,Everyone i know whos played or owned one preferred cornford gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    I played the V100 and hated it. Did nothing my 20th Shiva didn't do better and actually sounded way more compressed, and Bogners have a reputation for being compressed!
  • leerocker;311280" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

Another thing that I find annoying with the Victory range is the cheap look of the foot switches.

Thats exactly what i thought when i bought the v100. 3 separate footswitches for the amp , apparently they did this to keep the cost down, For the life of me i dont understand why they didnt carry on with the mk50ii style footswitch which was perfect, Id be suprised if victory are still going in a couple of years at this rate ,Everyone i know whos played or owned one preferred cornford gear.
    3 separate foot switches. That is crazy.

Talk about cutting corners on an amp of that price. I don't understand why they did that. The Cornford gear was billed as 'Boutique' amp tone with the whole prestige guff around it. But with Victory it's all looking a bit tacky and low brow but still with the same price tag

I heard through the grapevine that Peach stopped stocking Victory as they had a 100% return rate. Don't know how true that is.
    I'd say that won't be right. As much dislike I've seen here I've seen some love elsewhere too. 

Just seems strange that Martin has made an amp range that is getting so many bad reviews. 

Have to say my fleeting interest is dwindling, but I'd still love to try one in the flesh. 
    I heard through the grapevine that Peach stopped stocking Victory as they had a 100% return rate. Don't know how true that is.
    Its true!
    100%?¿?¿
    Deijavoo said:
    100%?¿?¿
    Yup every one of them came back, mine being one of them as well.