Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAD- Victory V30 Countess!

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I normally don't mind the Andertons demos, but that V30 sounds like some kind of horrible Line6 Spider thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    According to the poll, nobody has bought the Silverback!
    That's not true, what about Chappers himself. 

Looks like the Chappers signature amp is in reality a one off custom then :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    edited August 2014
    fastboy said:

I'm not convinced that he bought it ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fastboy said:

Ok so his royalties from the sig edition are obviously a free amp or two. 

I think I posted a little while ago on this subject saying why would anyone by a chappers signature amp (especially at £1900 odd) and it appears I was right then. 

There's a difference between starting a guitar line that offers decent quality for a price vs a true signature amp (and not a cheap one at that)
  • digitalscream;313556" said:
    fastboy said:

Fortheloveofguitar said:

Ha ha, beat me to it
    fastboy said:

I think I posted a little while ago on this subject saying why would anyone by a chappers signature amp (especially at £1900 odd) and it appears I was right then. 

There's a difference between starting a guitar line that offers decent quality for a price vs a true signature amp (and not a cheap one at that)
    I suspect the Silverback's production is nothing to do with selling it. Like him or not, Rob's got a very big audience - would anybody be talking about Victory amps if he wasn't the first to get one of their amps? I very much doubt it. Otherwise, they'd just be a premium own-brand Andertons amp.
    <space for hire>
    edited August 2014
    fastboy said:

I suspect the Silverback's production is nothing to do with selling it. Like him or not, Rob's got a very big audience - would anybody be talking about Victory amps if he wasn't the first to get one of their amps? I very much doubt it. Otherwise, they'd just be a premium own-brand Andertons amp.
    Oh I appreciate the big audience and all that but guessing mainly in the 15 - 25 age category who don't have £1900 to drop on an amp so a bit of a doozy that one. Kind of sounds from above that Victory are near enough just becoming an Andertons brand which makes no odds to me. I liked the old Cornford stuff but all the Victory stuff I've heard sounds crap. The fact that all the ex Cornford owners say the same gives me zero desire to go and try one although generally I very rarely shop in Andertons these days anyway as I prefer Guitar Guitar in Epsom

Personally I can't stand the bloke as he talks too much and uses so much gain that every amp he plays sounds exactly the same. I will only ever watch his vids if there's no other vids of a piece of gear I want to hear something on and would usually rather click on someone else's ropey vid they made on their iPhone then listen to his verbal diahorrea. I know he's just trying to make a living but on the few occasions I do watch his videos I'm pleased to say that Chappers makes £0.00 off me as I run youtube in developer mode so no ads ;) :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    fastboy said:
    fastboy said:

Oh I appreciate the big audience and all that but guessing mainly in the 15 - 25 age category who don't have £1900 to drop on an amp so a bit of a doozy that one. Kind of sounds from above that Victory are near enough just becoming an Andertons brand which makes no odds to me. I liked the old Cornford stuff but all the Victory stuff I've heard sounds crap. The fact that all the ex Cornford owners say the same gives me zero desire to go and try one although generally I very rarely shop in Andertons these days anyway as I prefer Guitar Guitar in Epsom

Personally I can't stand the bloke as he talks too much and uses so much gain that every amp he plays sounds exactly the same. I will only ever watch his vids if there's no other vids of a piece of gear I want to hear something on and would usually rather click on someone else's ropey vid they made on their iPhone then listen to his verbal diahorrea. I know he's just trying to make a living but on the few occasions I do watch his videos I'm pleased to say that Chappers makes £0.00 off me as I run youtube in developer mode so no ads ;) :D

That is true, everything he plays sounds the same.  I just watch the videos for the silliness these days.  I used to actually like watching them about a year ago when they review more diverse gear but in the past year or so they predominently use the Chapman guiitars to test amps or the Victory amp to test guitars.  I like to see more Strat, Tele, LP and PRS thrown in the mix.
    edited August 2014
    fastboy said:

It's actually a shame that Martin Kidd's (apparent) first deal after ditching Cornford never worked - the rumour is that he was working on an amp with Jet City, which ended up being the Earhart. Hand wired in the UK, and it was (apparently) to the MK50 ii what the JCA100H is to the Soldano Hot Rod+.

In the end, the economics didn't stack up and they only had the two prototypes. I'd bloody love to get my hands on one of them...if all goes right, I should have a fairly significant GAS budget by this time next year, so I'll probably hunt them down and make their owners an offer they can't refuse...
    <space for hire>
    fastboy said:

It's actually a shame that Martin Kidd's (apparent) first deal after ditching Cornford never worked - the rumour is that he was working on an amp with Jet City, which ended up being the Earhart. Hand wired in the UK, and it was (apparently) to the MK50 ii what the JCA100H is to the Soldano Hot Rod+.

In the end, the economics didn't stack up and they only had the two prototypes. I'd bloody love to get my hands on one of them...if all goes right, I should have a fairly significant GAS budget by this time next year, so I'll probably hunt them down and make their owners an offer they can't refuse...
    Sounds like it would have been an interesting amp. I think the jet city stuff is great and really can't be beaten for the money that the distributor knocks em out for (I can certainly understand some very peed off cats when they started selling direct like Lee Anderton for example). I have a 22H as my backup amp and in all honesty if my main amp went down I wouldn't reluctantly play it for sure as it's a great amp in it's own right.  

Out of all the amps Cornford did my fave was definitely the Hellcat followed by the blackface MK 50. I struggled to get on with the MK 50II not sure why as it was exceptionally flexible tonally but there you go, different horses for different courses and all that. 
    edited August 2014
    fastboy said:
    I can certainly understand some very peed off cats when they started selling direct like Lee Anderton for example

That's a little bit backwards - the timeline (as far as I can tell) was this:

- Jet City amps are being shipped into the country by Source Distribution
    - Dealers are selling them at roughly twice the price they go for now (just for context), everybody was happy
    - Source Distribution, for whatever reason, decide that they want to get rid of all their leftover stock and start selling everything at trade prices, undercutting all of the dealers and forever dropping the perceived value of the amps
    - Dealers get pissed off at the value that's been wiped off their stock, and vow to never touch Jet City gear again. Some of them may or may not make up stories about why.

<about 18 months pass>

- The number of folk in the UK who keep nagging Jet City to do something about it finally reaches critical mass
    - Jet City find another distributor (based in Wales, IIRC), who's willing to take on the job of running the UK store
    - jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk is born with a limited subset of products
    - Present day: everything sells so well that they've expanded the available products to most of the range
    - <more stuff I'm probably not allowed to talk about>

At least, that's my perception of what happened from talking to a few of the players involved. I could well be wrong about the motivations, but the events are correct to my knowledge.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    I was one of the people who bought a JCA100H when Source were kicking them out stupidly cheap.
  • I bought the 50 watt model when they first came out and honestly thought it sounded like utter shite. Was a box of fizz.
  • Lots of sweeping statements going on about Victory Amps. I've been playing a long time, and through many many amps and I think my v50 is the best amp I've played through. It's a bit harsh to say they sound "crap" on the basis of some you tube videos. Plus too many opinions are formed on say a 50 watt head, without playing it at gigging volume. And do ALL cornford users agree that victory amps sound crap? Have they all been asked? And I speak as someone who owns 2 cornfords and has played through several others. I can't help but feel that there is a bit of a backlash for some reason against Martin Kidd for leaving cornford and having a strong relationship with Andertons. But as they say, each to their own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Lots of sweeping statements going on about Victory Amps. I've been playing a long time, and through many many amps and I think my v50 is the best amp I've played through. It's a bit harsh to say they sound "crap" on the basis of some you tube videos. Plus too many opinions are formed on say a 50 watt head, without playing it at gigging volume. And do ALL cornford users agree that victory amps sound crap? Have they all been asked? And I speak as someone who owns 2 cornfords and has played through several others. I can't help but feel that there is a bit of a backlash for some reason against Martin Kidd for leaving cornford and having a strong relationship with Andertons. But as they say, each to their own.

Have a wisdom Sir. I've had two Cornfords, they were ok, nothing earth shattering really and the one Victory I've tried immediately put me in mind of their particular sound, I haven't tried the bigger ones but would certainly give them a shout, including the Silverback which I think sounds pretty good.
  • sted said:
    Lots of sweeping statements going on about Victory Amps. I've been playing a long time, and through many many amps and I think my v50 is the best amp I've played through. It's a bit harsh to say they sound "crap" on the basis of some you tube videos. Plus too many opinions are formed on say a 50 watt head, without playing it at gigging volume. And do ALL cornford users agree that victory amps sound crap? Have they all been asked? And I speak as someone who owns 2 cornfords and has played through several others. I can't help but feel that there is a bit of a backlash for some reason against Martin Kidd for leaving cornford and having a strong relationship with Andertons. But as they say, each to their own.

Have a wisdom Sir. I've had two Cornfords, they were ok, nothing earth shattering really and the one Victory I've tried immediately put me in mind of their particular sound, I haven't tried the bigger ones but would certainly give them a shout, including the Silverback which I think sounds pretty good.

Thank you ;-) I just wanted to give the alternative view, as someone who is enjoying owning a Victory amp.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    Good points !

Although that kind of money opens up to a LOT of other boutique amps out there so it faces stiff competitions. 
  • I tried the V50 when I went to Andertons to give the Two Rock Studio 35 a thorough tryout. I took my whole board down for it, and two guitars. They set me up in a room so I could turn up quite a high volume. I didn't rate the clean on the V50, but the heavy rock sound I got out of it was really good. I had a Bogner Ecstasy Red on my board and I sold it after hearing the V50 running proper amp distortion. 

However I bought a TR Studio 50 as the clean sound is the best I have ever heard... 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    If you sold the Ecstacy then what did you buy instead if you just have a clean amp now?

• @Deijavoo - I bought a Kingsley Jouster and I'm hitting the front of it with a reissue TS9 and an Effectrode Comp.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom