For those of you that just love a teaser campaign - new Suhr Discovery Analogue Delay

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    Yeah, I’m still very interested but yet to see anyone with one in stock.. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone own one or played one ?

Asking for a friend, obvs…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 587
    edited November 2022
    I have had one for a while and think that it is exceptional. Interface and form factor is good. Easy to be quick or save presets and use midi to recall. 

Sound is warm and the modulation just sits right so I might actually even use it.  Has a huge range of ms so can be used as a double up to much much longer than any of us will need. 

It beat about 5 other delays which were all well regarded and sounded good.  Other than an annoying oddity with midi clock and presets (which for my use case means I can't use midi tap tempo) it feels pretty much perfect
  • I have had one for a while and think that it is exceptional. Interface and form factor is good. Easy to be quick or save presets and use midi to recall. 

Sound is warm and the modulation just sits right so I might actually even use it.  Has a huge range of ms so can be used as a double up to much much longer than any of us will need. 

It beat about 5 other delays which were all well regarded and sounded good.  Other than an annoying oddity with midi clock and presets (which for my use case means I can't use midi tap tempo) it feels pretty much perfect
    your last sentence here made me go limp with sadness 
  • Your usage might work for it but basically I wanted the presets to ignore their saved BPM and pick it up from midi tap. Unless I have missed something or there is a creative workaround (quite likely) this is a faff that requires tapping in after you switch presets. If you have constant clock in it has zippering noise. Will try again but just went with a tap tempo via trs for now.
  • Nodangriffiths said:
    Your usage might work for it but basically I wanted the presets to ignore their saved BPM and pick it up from midi tap. Unless I have missed something or there is a creative workaround (quite likely) this is a faff that requires tapping in after you switch presets. If you have constant clock in it has zippering noise. Will try again but just went with a tap tempo via trs for now.
    nope, that’d bugger me. I have midi clock sent into my board then routed to my Moog via the MC6. MC6 transmits the incoming clock when it’s receiving it (ie when my board is connected to a clock send) and when it’s not I can tap tempo on the MC6. Midi Clock noise would be a total no go. 
  • yeah i assume as much - if I find a way around it will shout
  • Well, I’ve tried one and sent it back…

Very underwhelming indeed. It was noisy, and to be honest, very average sounding.

Unless mine of course was broken… either way, it’s a no from me 
  • keirkeir Frets: 143
    edited December 2022
    Well, I’ve tried one and sent it back…

Very underwhelming indeed. It was noisy, and to be honest, very average sounding.

Surprised by this Waz, maybe it is / was broken.

I’m very happy with my Tonal Recall and recently bought a Thermae so have no desire to try the Suhr myself. 

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • Your usage might work for it but basically I wanted the presets to ignore their saved BPM and pick it up from midi tap. Unless I have missed something or there is a creative workaround (quite likely) this is a faff that requires tapping in after you switch presets. If you have constant clock in it has zippering noise. Will try again but just went with a tap tempo via trs for now.
    Send an email to cs@suhr.com. They're very responsive and I'd imagine would like to hear this sort of feedback.....or send it through the online form

https://www.suhr.com/support-contact/

Send an email to cs@suhr.com. They're very responsive and I'd imagine would like to hear this sort of feedback.....or send it through the online form

Suhr are really good CS wise, it’s true…

But already sent back. Life is genuinely too short :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    edited December 2022
    Your usage might work for it but basically I wanted the presets to ignore their saved BPM and pick it up from midi tap. Unless I have missed something or there is a creative workaround (quite likely) this is a faff that requires tapping in after you switch presets. If you have constant clock in it has zippering noise. Will try again but just went with a tap tempo via trs for now.

Suhr are really good CS wise, it’s true…

But already sent back. Life is genuinely too short
    It is indeed!! That info was for Dan and his MIDI clock issue just in case they can point him towards a solution

What’s you fav favourite analog delay with Tap @wazmeister ?  

Wow, that is a great question !

So, here are my thoughts...

1.) It is difficult to mix tap tempo with (real) analogue delay chips.

2.) Manufacturers always seem, imho, to make vintage/analogue delays darker than they need to be. Some vintage delays are much brighter than you think...

3.) Analogue chips are by nature noisy. So, it's natural that a lot of such delays are noisier too.

The Cream

Some of the best analogue delays Ive used (not all tap tempo) are;

- Moog MF104m
    - SIB Echodrive
    - DMM
    - Chase Bliss

The Digital Analogues

Some stand out one's here are;

- Skreddy Echo (beautiful)
    - UAD Starlight
    - Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail
    - Strymon
    - Subdecay
    - Diamond

And finally, the big problem/benefit now is that a lot of digital modellers are really close in sound and feel, and of course, have tap tempo.

What say you lot ?!? 

=)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

2.) Manufacturers always seem, imho, to make vintage/analogue delays darker than they need to be. Some vintage delays are much brighter than you think...

3.) Analogue chips are by nature noisy. So, it's natural that a lot of such delays are noisier too.

The Cream

- Moog MF104m
    - SIB Echodrive
    - DMM
    - Chase Bliss

The Digital Analogues

- UAD Starlight
    - Strymon
    - Subdecay
    - Diamond

And finally, the big problem/benefit now is that a lot of digital modellers are really close in sound and feel, and of course, have tap tempo.

What say you lot ?!? 

=)

well you know which one gets my vote

The Cream

- Moog MF104m
    - SIB Echodrive
    - DMM
    - Chase Bliss

The Digital Analogues

- UAD Starlight
    - Strymon
    - Subdecay
    - Diamond

What say you lot ?!? 

=)

Thanks.

DMM 1100 TT is on my list, when I eventually get round to getting a delay.  

Also on your list, Diamond, assume this is Memory Lane Jr?  That was definitely the best delay I have ever had and sould have kept mine.   Now Diamond are being brought back I'd definitely consider another.

I have no issue with digital personally, but the way a delay sits is just as important as the sound for me.  I'm currently using my HX Stomp XL which sounds good but I miss the Diamond because of the way it feels and sits in a mix.
  • @menamestom ;

I agree about the Diamond ML - really does sit well in the mix.

My keeper, which I forgot to mention, is the Free The Tone Future Factory. =)
  • Y’all need to get some Asheville in your lives. No tap but it just sounds so bloody good
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Think you had a duff one waz - I’ve had most of your list and I rate it highly without any noise. In fact I had your 104 and thought that was noisy so maybe I’m wrong haha
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7711
    I know it doesn’t have the controls of most of these but how do you delay aficionados rate the Dunlop Echoplex Delay? 

It surprises me I don’t hear it talked about nearly as often as say the (imho) dark and boring Vapor Trail 
    Red ones are better.