For those of you that just love a teaser campaign - new Suhr Discovery Analogue Delay

What's Hot

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2362
    TimmyO said:
    I know it doesn’t have the controls of most of these but how do you delay aficionados rate the Dunlop Echoplex Delay? 

It surprises me I don’t hear it talked about nearly as often as say the (imho) dark and boring Vapor Trail 
    I’m an analog delay devotee, ok fanboi, and my weapon of choice is the EHX DMM 1100TT. Having said that I did recently try @TimmyO’s Dunlop Echoplex and instantly connected with it - it just sounds RIGHT from the off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Y’all need to get some Asheville in your lives. No tap but it just sounds so bloody good
    I've been tempted by one of these but they are pricey. I realised i like analogue delay with a tone control, this one does look ace. Is it worth the money over, say a rubberneck for example, do you reckon? 
  • Y’all need to get some Asheville in your lives. No tap but it just sounds so bloody good
    I've been tempted by one of these but they are pricey. I realised i like analogue delay with a tone control, this one does look ace. Is it worth the money over, say a rubberneck for example, do you reckon? 
    Honestly the rubberneck is one of the few pedals I haven’t tried yet. But I can say it’s head & shoulders above everything else I’ve had - carbon copy, keeley AD9, various non-vintage EHXs etc etc. The guy in the Asheville store I bought it said he had 3 and they’d all displaced the old Memory Men (“Mans”?) that he’d been using for years. 

The only thing that I really like on the same level is the Volante but obviously they’re very different pedals. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Honestly the rubberneck is one of the few pedals I haven’t tried yet. But I can say it’s head & shoulders above everything else I’ve had - carbon copy, keeley AD9, various non-vintage EHXs etc etc. The guy in the Asheville store I bought it said he had 3 and they’d all displaced the old Memory Men (“Mans”?) that he’d been using for years. 

The only thing that I really like on the same level is the Volante but obviously they’re very different pedals. 
    Isn’t the Asheville essentially the Moog MF104, but without the all the cleverness of the midi? My understanding is that it was the same designer, or at very least one of the designers responsible for the Moog. If that is the case and midi isn’t a necessity for you, I wouldn’t hesitate - the Moog in my opinion is the best there is. I had the red knob chase bliss too and whilst that was certainly very good, it didn’t touch the Moog. The chase bliss offered a little more top end tone shaping (albeit with added noise as a consequence) but there’s something very specific that the Moog does around the self oscillation mark which is without equal and utterly spectacular - it’s become essential to how I play. If the Asheville can do that, then it’ll be a very good thing indeed. 

Isn’t the Asheville essentially the Moog MF104, but without the all the cleverness of the midi? My understanding is that it was the same designer, or at very least one of the designers responsible for the Moog. If that is the case and midi isn’t a necessity for you, I wouldn’t hesitate - the Moog in my opinion is the best there is. I had the red knob chase bliss too and whilst that was certainly very good, it didn’t touch the Moog. The chase bliss offered a little more top end tone shaping (albeit with added noise as a consequence) but there’s something very specific that the Moog does around the self oscillation mark which is without equal and utterly spectacular - it’s become essential to how I play. If the Asheville can do that, then it’ll be a very good thing indeed. 
    Yep, pretty much. It's the same guy - Rick “Hawker” Shaich - and he's absolutely one of the best in the business. I don't have any experience with the Moog but reports TGP suggest it's extremely similar tonally.

I have the ACV-1 vib./chorus on the Christmas list so keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rd-lUh2gGg

Thanks, that's interesting but potentially expensive information. 
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CFHCFH Frets: 463
    I’ve had all the big names mentioned here and owned the Asheville ADG-1 and the Rubberneck at the same time and so can directly compare them. 

The ADG is superb. It doesn’t get as murky as the MF104M I had though and the modulation on the 104M is more interesting with the different waveforms. They are definitely very similar though and the tone control on the ADG is really handy (though it doesn’t get as bright as a DMM does). Ultimately I moved the ADG on because I found that the mix sweet spot was incredibly narrow and struggled to get the perfect volume level for the repeats. I’d give it a go another time though but in that space I’m waiting for Bondi to release a new version of the Art Van Delay. 

The Rubberneck I think is truly hard to beat and is an absolutely incredible delay pedal. Great sounds right out of the box and I really liked being able to add a bit of grit to the repeats. I like the modulation on the Rubberneck too. To be honest I think the Rubberneck is one of the best analog delays out there at any price point. It really is great and is in the same league as the ADG in my opinion. The Jam Delay Llama Xtreme is also worth checking out. 

As Waz says though there are plenty of digital delays which have that sort of natural character that people associate with BBD delays. The Skreddy echo is incredible (they have a new v2 out as well) and I’m currently using the Vongon Polyphrase which is a totally different beast but does a really nice murky BBD esque delay as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1092
    Thanks for that @CFH that's really helpful. I missed out on the ADG that were on sale at Andertons, but I'm still really happy with the rubberneck i have. Had it on the other night and it's just always different, a really creative tool. I've even thought about getting a second one as a backup as they've stopped making them. 
  • allenallen Frets: 770
    Yes - helpful, thanks.

If we are talking super sounding analog delay then my Way Huge Supa Puss is amazing. Seems to have the same controls as the rubberneck. I might get a rubberneck to compare.
  • allenallen Frets: 770
    I'm now shopping around for one of these if anyone on this thread has bought one and now fancies shifting it
    edited April 11
    Zombie thread resurrection!

I find myself in funds and these can currently be had at a discount online. I’m tempted but I still haven’t plumbed the depths of the Boss DM-101.

Who bought one? Who sent it back straight away? Who moved it on after a while? Who still has it and won’t be parted from it?

Likes? Dislikes? Comparisons with other analog delay big guns?

Chip in here and influence my cash spaffage…
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 587
    edited April 11
    It was good (maybe great even) but I found the mix knob had a taper and range that wasn’t usable without grief. Seems like a weird reason but was bad enough that I moved it on but to be fair I did have it for a year. 
    It was good (maybe great even) but I found the mix knob had a taper and range that wasn’t usable without grief. Seems like a weird reason but was bad enough that I moved it on but to be fair I did have it for a year. 
    Interesting - one of the things I dislike about the DMM is the small usable range of the mix knob as the dry level starts to decrease after 12 o’clock on the dial. I prefer to have 100% dry all the time and mix in wet signal throughout the whole range of the control.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3357
    Keefy said:
    Interesting - one of the things I dislike about the DMM is the small usable range of the mix knob as the dry level starts to decrease after 12 o’clock on the dial. I prefer to have 100% dry all the time and mix in wet signal throughout the whole range of the control.
    I recently got a Benson Delay and every knob goes a bit OTT past noon...yet it's still awesome ;)
  • WTB22WTB22 Frets: 69
    I’ve owned two, and I’m about to buy a third (and final) one in the sale you mention. I also have an Asheville ADG-1 SE that is also very new to me and I’ve previously owned the Chase Bliss Tonal Recalls, and it’s become clear what the Discovery really shines at now, and for me it’s the lush chorussy modulation and the ability to get those washy DMM layers. The ADG-1 SE has a punchier and more high-fidelity tone to it, and it filters the repeats differently, to my ears. 

I should add, I would agree with the comments @dangriffiths makes about the mix control taper. I found this with the previous units I had. Finicky is the word I’d use, there’s a small range that feels like it’s almost all or nothing, but it just takes some fine tuning to get right. But, that’s also subjective because you might consider the sweet spot different to the next person. - I say grab one and try it, they’ve never been cheaper than the current GG sale price. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    I still don’t think the perfect modern analog delay exists. 

The ADG-1 sounds incredible but doesn’t have tap

The Suhr apparently has reliability issues and is still hard to get hold of

The Boss is massive 

The Walrus Meraki is also big and expensive. 

The Benson looks excellent but has limited tweakability 

The Volante sounds great but it’s huge (and obv not actually analog)

Have I missed any obvious others?
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 587
    Sending V2 has it all but is large
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    I mean, we know where my vote goes here 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3357
    The Benson looks excellent but has limited tweakability 
    I unboxed it and thought 'cute...but damn it was a bit pricey'...then I plugged it in and thought 'meh...what have I done?'...and then, suddenly, it was three hours later. I haven't played a note without it on since ;)