For those of you that just love a teaser campaign - new Suhr Discovery Analogue Delay

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2362
    edited April 12
    @WTB22 what’s the story with buying the Discovery 3 times?

@stickyfiddle what have you heard on ‘reliability issues’ and from where? Also yes the DM-101 is massive, but so is a DMM!

@digitalkettle I used to be a full-on analog snob until I built a Multiplex Echo Machine that uses the same lo-fi digital delay chips as the Benson and the Deep Blue. The Benson has been on my radar but for completely different reasons from the Suhr - there have been a few pedals purporting to rectify the DMM’s flaws/idiosyncrasies, and my perception is that Suhr might actually have cracked it.

@GavRichList remind us where your vote goes!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    Keefy said:

@stickyfiddle what have you heard on ‘reliability issues’ and from where? Also yes the DM-101 is massive, but so is a DMM!

I honestly can’t remember details but some early adopters on here had issues iirc. 

I live in the UAE so it’s have to be ordered from elsewhere, so anything with potential problems gets a wide berth sadly as returns become a nightmare. Otherwise it looks pretty perfect! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    I still don’t think the perfect modern analog delay exists. 

The ADG-1 sounds incredible but doesn’t have tap

The Suhr apparently has reliability issues and is still hard to get hold of

The Boss is massive 

The Walrus Meraki is also big and expensive. 

The Benson looks excellent but has limited tweakability 

The Volante sounds great but it’s huge (and obv not actually analog)

Have I missed any obvious others?
    The J. Rockett Clockwork should be on that list. 

The best of them all is arguably the Toneczar Echoczar but it definitely fails the “small form factor” test - and they are also crazy expensive. But they sound hella great. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    @Keefy There can be only one....

The Moog MF-104M. I know they're bonkers money these days, but for context I bought it new for less than the Suhr goes for now so it's relevant. Easily my favourite, and I'd say just objectively the best there is. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1419
    I should mention my budget! Strymon would be top of my budget range!
  • WTB22WTB22 Frets: 69
    Keefy said:
    First one doesn’t really count. Had it reserved/preordered and when they finally became available I just didn’t have the time to try it properly, sat in the box for a while, figured I didn’t need £650 tied up at the time, returned it. Second one I loved but sold in favour of moving to a H90, quickly realised that was a mistake. So I want one back for good this time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9708
    The Suhr is vastly overrated imho. Mine was clunky and noisy.

If you want that DMM sound cheaply, try the Skreddy Echo or even cheaper, the Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail which is excellent.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2362
    The Suhr is vastly overrated imho. Mine was clunky and noisy.

If you want that DMM sound cheaply, try the Skreddy Echo or even cheaper, the Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail which is excellent.
    In what sense clunky?

I have the DMM 1100TT already. It’s my favourite analog delay by some distance, so much so that I forgive its noise floor and its decidedly non-transparent preamp. It’s the one that makes me happiest! If I want essence-of-DMM in a tiny box I also have the Memory Toy.

- Both the DMM and DM-101 have tap tempo.
    - I can control the tone of the DMM’s repeats using an EQ in its fx loop.
    - The DM-101 has memory slots.
    The only remaining advantages of the Discovery are its delay time display (hmmm) and its claimed low noise, which I’m disinclined to believe.

Yes, I’ve just talked myself out of it!