What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16420
    tony99 said:
    Flicking through the channels I’ve got That’ll Be The Day on. Bloody hell its a lot darker in places than I remembered. 
    Ringo Starr plays a Ringo Starr type character but David Essex is genuinely great, shame he didn’t go on to do much more on screen acting. So handsome as well. 
    I've watched that fairlly recently too, keith moon has a little cameo in it, which is nice because I think it's a lovely complementary piece to Quadrophenia the movie too
    Yes, Keith is in it rather playing himself. Billy Fury plays a sad old rocker which must have been quite close for comfort at the time. Billy belts out a version of The Who song Long Live Rock which is probably annoying for pedants as the film is set a decade or so before that came out but I guess it's an extra nod to having Keith there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7221
    tony99 said:
    Flicking through the channels I’ve got That’ll Be The Day on. Bloody hell its a lot darker in places than I remembered. 
    Ringo Starr plays a Ringo Starr type character but David Essex is genuinely great, shame he didn’t go on to do much more on screen acting. So handsome as well. 
    I've watched that fairlly recently too, keith moon has a little cameo in it, which is nice because I think it's a lovely complementary piece to Quadrophenia the movie too
    Yes, Keith is in it rather playing himself. Billy Fury plays a sad old rocker which must have been quite close for comfort at the time. Billy belts out a version of The Who song Long Live Rock which is probably annoying for pedants as the film is set a decade or so before that came out but I guess it's an extra nod to having Keith there. 
    Yeah, having read Dear Boy, I think poor old moonie thought he was gonna have an acting career off the back of that and of course his mind blowing performance of Uncle Ernie not long after
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    My son was watching The Invention of Lying and I ended up watching a good chunk of it.
    Essentially it’s a riff on a Groundhog Day style film: unhappy main protagonist finds himself in a largely unexplained unique position in the world that no one else can understand and he goes through various permutations of trying to cope with this ( selfish version, altruistic version, despair version) until ultimately he comes to peace with himself and is then able to find romantic love, the absence of which was making him sad in the first place. 
    Just not as consistent or as charming as Groundhog Day, I think it’s supposed to be both funnier and more whimsical than I found it. There is a message in it that the human position is fundamentally one of selfish misery which makes it a slightly cheerless watch. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23711
    Sassafras said:
    Accident Man.
    A sort of English John Wick but a hundred times better and with more laughs.
    John Wick took itself far too seriously.
    Films with 20 minute long fight scenes should offer a few laughs along the way.
    I watched Accident Man a few weeks ago, it took a while to get into it but it's really surprisingly good.

You're right that John Wick takes itself too seriously... I can never quite understand how they cast Keanu Reeves, an extremely likeable actor with a gift for goofy humour, surely the man to make a cold-blooded assassin into a sympathetic character... but Wick is such a humourless bore.
    Apparently I had nothing better to do this evening than watch Alien Covenant.
    It’s alright but it’s hugely guessable at times and it’s a bit too much sci fi and not a decent yarn that happens to be set on a spaceship. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10589
    1917, saw it at the cinema last night. 

It's mostly shot with a handheld follow cam which creates a sense of involvement but does mean anything off axis looks a bit out of focus.  
    Recommended though, it's very well done. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4776

Darkest Hour.  Very good.  Whisky sodas for breakfast sounds good also!

8/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5798
    The Terminal. Never seen it before and it’s already quite a few years old but it’s the best film I’ve watched for a long time. 

Not at all what I was expecting from the trailers. Tom Hanks is excellent and it’s just a perfect film for a winter’s Sunday afternoon. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited January 2020
    The quiet one (bill wyman).
    Was OK but nothing much that hasn't been done before. Worth a watch if you're a stones fan.

Rocketman.
    Don't know that much about Elton so not sure how accurate it was or anything like that. Really enjoyed it though. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Skyscraper.

The Rock was good, but it was too much of a rip off of The a Towering Inferno and Die Hard.

5/10.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Sassafras said:
    Accident Man.
    A sort of English John Wick but a hundred times better and with more laughs.
    John Wick took itself far too seriously.
    Films with 20 minute long fight scenes should offer a few laughs along the way.
    I loved Accident Man.

I read the comic as a kid and it had a few of the little touches in that made it work. Scott Adkins was perfectly cast too. (He was in the running for Batman when Afleck got it)

Nice too see Darth Maul using his own voice for once too!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• I went to see 1917 the other day - the wife was a big fan of Dunkirk, so she got tickets, and I wasn't really sure of what to expect. And it was at the IMAX, which I'd not have thought of going to. But it was extraordinary, and I was kind of stunned when it was over. I'd be curious to read the opinions of people who actually know something about the first world war (which I don't), but I was very impressed. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10589
    1917 - pretty good, looks like it was shot  on a following hand cam so real sense of involvement with far fewer cuts than normal. Not that believable to me, a little too Hollywood 

The Gentlemen - Guy Ritchie returns to form with this caper ... great supporting cast and generally good gangster fun all the way through  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    1917 - Very cleverly filmed. Think it'll stay with you long after you leave the cinema. However, still not sure why people hip-fire rifles.....
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    1917. Very impressive piece of filmmaking. The continuous shot format was much less intrusive than I thought it would be and the sets and acting were first rate. The story setup was a bit thin (would they really put the fate of 1600 men in the hands of two men?) but once you get past that it was an exceptional film.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    1917. Excellent. Camera rarely strays from the central characters which keeps things pretty involving. I saw it in IMAX which I think helped. Pretty grisly in places and a little bit too Hollywood once or twice. Still a pretty solid 8/10 though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    Anyone seen Little Women? I passed up the chance to go this week, didn't like the look of it. Was I wrong?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6422
    edited January 2020
    Another 1917 fan - really good piece, brilliant cinematography. I found it a really good story, whilst improbable in itself, was based on the stories Sam Mendes' Grandfather told about his experiences in WW1.

Also another +1 for The Gentlemen, loved it !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5798
    A Quiet Place 

Reasonably good beasty movie and imaginative enough not to be just a gore fest of humans against monsters.

Very little dialogue throughout, which is kind of expected given the theme of the movie.  Tense and taut enough to be fairly gripping but annoyingly there's no back-story that explains where the beasties came from or why.

Still, it's one ticked off the list that I've wanted to watch for a while and can't say it wasn't worth it as I did really enjoy it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    Snap said:
    Anyone seen Little Women? I passed up the chance to go this week, didn't like the look of it. Was I wrong?
    I hear it's easy to overlook.

;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom