What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Haych said:
    Spaceballs. Love this movie. If I had a tenner for every time I’d seen it I’d have a new (expensive) guitar by now. 

Yes the plot is non-existent. Yes the acting is bad. But it’s still a brilliant movie. 

I watched "high anxiety" for the first time the other night. Not bad but certainly not my favourite MB. 
    I got it, I ain't got it
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16400
    My youngest son watched Long Shot and I ended up watching chunks of it. Kind of a feminist movie if feminism means it still stars a man, the man gets most of the laughs, women can be strong and independent but also must still look hot and getting the right bloke is more important than world peace. It's Seth Rogan going 'look I can be right on' but getting it wrong.

He also had Shark Tale on in the afternoon which is a film of his childhood but it's awful at so many levels. The stereotype rastas always seem particularly wince inducing so it's always a bit of a shock to be reminded that one of them is played by Ziggy Marley.     

Semi watched Spectre on NYE. The pre watershed cuts made by ITV didn't help but it stomps along. In the Craig era Bond films you reach a point where the older Bond films would have ended but no there's another 30 minutes of stomping around and product placement. More holes in the plot than in the jumpers my granny used to make me. It does what it says on the tin I guess.     
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24880
    edited January 2020
    Mortal Engines.

Loved the idea and the set design. The script was just a bit too predictable unfortunately, and aside from 1 or 2 the cast weren't very good.

5.5/10. 

Lego Movie 2.
    None of the charm of the first one. 2/10

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73079
    The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

Steven Spielberg motion-capture animation of Hergé’s classic character.

Very interesting visually, and with a plot that’s almost Hergé meets Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Some of the animation is almost ‘uncanny valley’ (Tintin himself and Sakharine especially), some less so (Captain Haddock and the Thompsons), but overall it works... just. There’s a slight sensation of constantly balancing on a fine line between surreality and cartoon which sometimes jars a bit. I don’t know if kids would see it less critically, but I’m also not convinced it’s aimed at them - I thought it was more likely to be for adults with nostalgia for the books. And after watching it I’m still not sure...

7/10

I think :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Haych said:
    Spaceballs. Love this movie. If I had a tenner for every time I’d seen it I’d have a new (expensive) guitar by now. 

Yes the plot is non-existent. Yes the acting is bad. But it’s still a brilliant movie. 

I watched "high anxiety" for the first time the other night. Not bad but certainly not my favourite MB. 
    I got it, I ain't got it

:) 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    The Shallows - alright, predictable nonsense, but alright.
    Spider Man Far From Home - shite. Made the first one (also shite), look good. They've ruined Spidey for me. Too young, too High School Musical. Really piss poor. 
  • The Irishman - bloody good, especially if you can take a break and resume play when it suits you. Imagine it might cause a few pins and needles at the cinema.

Highwaymen - another good watch. An alternative look at Bonny and Clyde from the cops perspective as opposed B&C
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    edited January 2020
    JoJo Rabbit. Decent thought-provoking black comedy/satire about discrimination, blind fanaticism, and the difference between Germans and Nazis. Starts off a bit poorly but actually pretty good once it hits its stride. 6.5/10 from me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12516
    ICBM said:
    The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

Steven Spielberg motion-capture animation of Hergé’s classic character.

Very interesting visually, and with a plot that’s almost Hergé meets Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Some of the animation is almost ‘uncanny valley’ (Tintin himself and Sakharine especially), some less so (Captain Haddock and the Thompsons), but overall it works... just. There’s a slight sensation of constantly balancing on a fine line between surreality and cartoon which sometimes jars a bit. I don’t know if kids would see it less critically, but I’m also not convinced it’s aimed at them - I thought it was more likely to be for adults with nostalgia for the books. And after watching it I’m still not sure...

7/10

I think :)
    I think you’re right.  ;) I saw it with my kids who were teenagers at the time. They didn’t get it at all. I thought it was an odd film but could see what the makers were trying to do, but then I had the benefit of nostalgia from the tv cartoons. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12516
    Haych said:

Have you seen The Twelve Chairs? One of Brooks’ early efforts (if not his first?). I saw it in the 70s so can’t remember an awful lot but do recall one hysterical laugh out loud moment. He reached his peak with Young Frankenstein for me. 
  • Eddie the Eagle - that man had serious balls!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73079
    ICBM said:
    Arrival

Interesting and quite original - although I did think there were some parallels with Interstellar, it was better realised and more believable.

I think I need to watch it again, and that it will stand a repeat viewing without spoiling it...

8/10
    That was posted two years ago but I finally got around to re-watching it... I was right. It's even better the second time, even when you know the twist. Or ironically, perhaps exactly because you know the twist, which makes the concept even more powerful. A very unusual and imaginative film.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Arrival

Interesting and quite original - although I did think there were some parallels with Interstellar, it was better realised and more believable.

I think I need to watch it again, and that it will stand a repeat viewing without spoiling it...

8/10
    That was posted two years ago but I finally got around to re-watching it... I was right. It's even better the second time, even when you know the twist. Or ironically, perhaps exactly because you know the twist, which makes the concept even more powerful. A very unusual and imaginative film.
    Yes, I re-watched it a few weeks ago.
    Science fiction at its best. Raises a lot of thought provoking points rather than the mindless Hollywood brain softening bubble gum. Quietly understated and all the more impressive for it. And Amy Adams is quite believable in her role.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Arrival

8/10
    I watched this on a plane, a long way from my wife and kids and spent the first few minutes of the film blubbing and trying to hide my sniffles, unsuccessfully. Then did the same at the end! Apart from that I really enjoyed it. Will watch again, with my wife and kids and will probably bawl all over again. 

I am finding as I get older, I am becoming more of a film and TV bawler actually. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7219
    Sassafras said:
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Arrival

8/10
    Yes, I re-watched it a few weeks ago.
    Science fiction at its best. Raises a lot of thought provoking points rather than the mindless Hollywood brain softening bubble gum. Quietly understated and all the more impressive for it. And Amy Adams is quite believable in her role.
    It is good, it's very good in fact, and if you're into any branch of linguistics, be it semiotics, pragmatics or even orthographic stylistics, then there are those extra layers that make it an absolute must see.

However it pales in insignificance next to true sci-fi like Independence Day as it doesn't have Randy Quaid flying in at the end to fire a missile up the alien's bumbum.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    boogieman said:
    Haych said:

Have you seen The Twelve Chairs? One of Brooks’ early efforts (if not his first?). I saw it in the 70s so can’t remember an awful lot but do recall one hysterical laugh out loud moment. He reached his peak with Young Frankenstein for me. 

No not seen that one. Will see if I can find it, thanks  :) 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Jamon Jamon - a 1992 Spanish film starring a young Penelope Cruz (in her first film) and a young Javier Bardem (this is years before these two became an item).  A funny, offbeat black comedy: recommended. 7/10
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7219
    Jamon Jamon - a 1992 Spanish film starring a young Penelope Cruz (in her first film) and a young Javier Bardem (this is years before these two became an item).  A funny, offbeat black comedy: recommended. 7/10
    la viste en espanol?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Hunger Games Mockingjay 2.
    It's OK as an action/adventure film but the soppy bits were really grating. Typical scmaltzy Hollywood CGI fare.
    It would've been greatly improved by a sex scene with Natalie Dormer down to her scanties.
    Suburbicon..
    It got panned by the critics but I didn't think it was all that bad. Joel & Ethan Coen took care of the screenplay and it bears a few of their hallmarks. There were some dark humorous bits too.
    All in all, not too shabby.