What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3685
    Keiko said:
    Ad Astra - 2hr film that really drags. Incredibly boring, the visual effects are not enough to save it.
    Zombieland double tap - just rubbish.
    I didn't think Ad Astra was too bad, kind of 2001 pace wise, I was expecting more action/excitement but it wasn't that kind of film, the kind of sci fi in which explosions in space are silent.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2510
    Watched Deepwater Horizon last night.
    Two things struck me:

1) How BP probably got off very lightly in terms of punishment/being held accountable

2) How only 11 people died in that. I hope their families and the survivors were well compensated. It's one thing doing intrinsically dangerous work, it's quite another doing it on a background of corporate negligence
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    strtdv said:
    Watched Deepwater Horizon last night.
    Two things struck me:

1) How BP probably got off very lightly in terms of punishment/being held accountable

2) How only 11 people died in that. I hope their families and the survivors were well compensated. It's one thing doing intrinsically dangerous work, it's quite another doing it on a background of corporate negligence
    That was a great film, the American Bravado was there but not OTT, scary to think it was based on real events.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Saw Saving Mr Banks today. A rather charming film and an interesting true backstory to Mary Poppins (a film I've never actually seen). Enjoyed it.

Caught a chunk of the old 70s On the busses film yesterday. Unfortunately I had to leave before halfway, but it was so refreshing to laugh at an old film untainted by the general snowflakery of the modern age.
    Dora and the Lost City of Gold.

Im going in, will update when/if I come out the other side!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    axisus said:
    Saw Saving Mr Banks today. A rather charming film and an interesting true backstory to Mary Poppins (a film I've never actually seen). Enjoyed it.

Caught a chunk of the old 70s On the busses film yesterday. Unfortunately I had to leave before halfway, but it was so refreshing to laugh at an old film untainted by the general snowflakery of the modern age.
    Mary Poppins is one of the finest examples of film crafting ever. Even with the awful cockney accent.

Well worth watching.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Funny to think that the whole On The Buses series was co-written by Ronald Chesney, one of the most gifted harmonica players ever. One of the few that could give Larry Adler a run for his money - and then he created On The Buses, oh the humanity!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    axisus said:

It was also untainted by humour!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Been on a Jane Austen kick the last few days. Sense & Sensibility (the 1995 version with Emma Thomson); Persuasion (1995 version with Amanda Root & Ciarán Hinds; and the unexpected jewel in the crown Emma (2009) with Romola Garai absolutely nailing the title role (plus a great supporting cast). All three were really good but Emma was a standout.
    Dora and the Lost City of Gold.

Brilliant,  great film to watch with the kids, my wee girl grew up with the crappy cartoons and she loved this, it really brought it all to life for her..
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Just watched Knives Out an old school whodunnit murder mystery , starring Daniel Craig.
    Loved it , about a dozen twists , and a great cast , if you like this kind of movie ,this one is highly recommended.

In short.... Excellent ,  this is what Agatha Christie should have been...

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    edited December 2019
    Whiplash. Aspiring (driven) jazz drummer with a bullying (driven) teacher. Brilliant. Not sure how I've missed this until now.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    Shazam - great fun. Doesn't take itself seriously at all and is all the better for it.

Fast N Furious: Hobbs and Shaw. This was an Xmas gift. Better than expected. Popcorn film with guns and car chases and fight scenes. The Rock actually has great comedic timing. Doubt I'll ever re-watch it, but I enjoyed it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    10thumbs said:
    Just watched Knives Out an old school whodunnit murder mystery , starring Daniel Craig.
    Loved it , about a dozen twists , and a great cast , if you like this kind of movie ,this one is highly recommended.

In short.... Excellent ,  this is what Agatha Christie should have been...

er ..... Agatha Christie stories are amazing, you do realise that she is the best selling author of all time?? Parking that for now ...

Yes, Knives out was a superb movie. I never knew quite where it was going, I thought that the whole plot was superb and the cast was excellent. The only thing I would have had different would be to have cast Jason Shwartzman instead of Chris Evans. I just think that Jason would have been perfect in that role.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    Spaceballs. Love this movie. If I had a tenner for every time I’d seen it I’d have a new (expensive) guitar by now. 

Yes the plot is non-existent. Yes the acting is bad. But it’s still a brilliant movie. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Iron Sky 2 , Nazis on the moon and stuff, a fun film to watch, met all my expectations based on Iron Sky 1, wont watch it again but it was a fun way to kill an hour or two.
    Think I might have dozed off for a bit in the middle.

High Life.   Utter shite.
  • Continuing my day of doing bugger all I watched Blackkklansman. From the little I'd seen on trailers I was expecting pretty much a farcical comedy which this simply wasn't. Based on a true story although from the Wikipedia write up largely historically inaccurate. I'm not sure it entirely works, as if they weren't certain enough about the drama that the humour was thrown in. You also think it has finished about three times but it carries on yet not with amazing twists just with stuff Spike Lee wanted up on the screen. 
    It's not a bad film but it could a better one. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    IT Chapter Two. Late to the party on this one but thought it was terrible. Really fucking terrible. Couldn’t wait for it to end which made it drag even more. 

Also got round to watching Joker which I loved.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 558
    Star Wars ROS - OK but not great. 
    Captain Marvel - Probably one of the weakest Marvel/Avenger movies.
    Avengers End Game -  A bit dull with a stupid plot. My wife fell asleep for the first hour and missed nothing  =)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Haych said:
    Spaceballs. Love this movie. If I had a tenner for every time I’d seen it I’d have a new (expensive) guitar by now. 

Yes the plot is non-existent. Yes the acting is bad. But it’s still a brilliant movie. 

I watched "high anxiety" for the first time the other night. Not bad but certainly not my favourite MB.