What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    ICBM said:
    The Lighthouse

Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson go mad in an atmospheric period psychological horror inspired by Edgar Allan Poe with a bit of Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Intense and unsettling. Dafoe in particular is brilliant, as is the direction and photography. Not comfortable viewing but compelling, and although it’s not *really* horrific I think you’ll remember some of the more disturbing imagery for a long time. The use of a near-square aspect ratio increases the feeling of claustrophobia too.

A strong 9/10
    I think it might be one of the better films I've seen for a very long time,

This article below is worth reading if you've seen the film

(don't read it if you've not seen the film as it is very spoiler heavy)

I thought it was very cine literate in it's consideration, I thought there were references to Bela Tarr, Jean Vigo & Carl Dreyer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited March 2020
    Tried amazon quickly there and seem to be able to pre-order it only. I am not a fan of the Prime app etc though, really awkward to use and hard to find stuff. Plus it’s misleading what’s included and what isn’t and it changes every day.

Dunno what I’m doing wrong but I’ll try it again later. :)
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    goldtop said:
    goldtop said:
    Notes on a Scandal. Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett as teachers at an inner-city school. Bitter spinster Dench has the hots for Cate, but Cate has the hots for ... well, someone she shouldn't. Dench is awesome, as usual. Bill Nighy also stars and just does his usual soppy character well enough. Well told, but needed the ending to build to more of ... something. 7/10
    I have fonder memories of the book than the film...'she was so posh she didn't know what a three piece suite was.'

[ I don't know how accurate that is just from memory!]
    I don't remember it, but that quote sounds about right. And reminds me of Maggie Smith delivering "What's a weekend?" in Downton Abbey. :)

Is the book famous? The writing - especially of Dench's character's bitter and cutting inner-voice - is excellent.
    I think the novel is reasonably well known in it's own right, quick Google says it was a Booker runner up. My attempts at reading prize winning novels usually over by about page 70 so it mustn't have been too challenging if I finished it! 

I read the book first and enjoyed the film despite flaws.  In particular it fails to make the relationship between Cate Blanchett and (omit spoiler) remotely plausible.   I do think the book is better.   It's hard to find a cinematic equivalent to the books' narrator gradually revealing that her version of events isn't to be trusted, but resorting to voice-over feels like a bit like a cop-out.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890

Mercy Black on Netflix.

Possibly some of the worst practical special effects I've ever seen. 

Laugh out loud funny, but for all the wrong reasons. 

Avoid.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Going to watch original 70’s version  of ‘Dawn of The Dead’ tonight. 

One of my favourite films.  I love the whole feel of it. It has something special about it.  Best Zombie movie ever!

The newer version, made about 10 years ago, is crap in comparison. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Just rewatched A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. I loved it the first time around  but on this second viewing I noticed so much more. This is a really dense film that repays all the attention you can give it, as well as being quite funny in a very understated way. (And there is an adorable cat in it as well)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Just rewatched A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. I loved it the first time around  but on this second viewing I noticed so much more. This is a really dense film that repays all the attention you can give it, as well as being quite funny in a very understated way. (And there is an adorable cat in it as well)

That's an absolutely cracking film. I loved the soundtrack, too. Bit obscure but you can hear most of it on YT. Might rewatch this one tonight! Thanks for the reminder.

@Danny1969 - Private Life. Looks good, I like Giamatti. We'll have to wait for FOPP to re-open (fingers crossed that it survives this lockdown)
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Nothing new for tonight’s viewing. 

The 2003 remake of The Italian Job. I have a real conflict with this film. In its own right it’s quite a decent action movie. However, it’s not even close to a remake of the original Italian Job - the link is tenuous and in name only. The fact that nearly every car and motorbike used in the film is made by BMW is telling and the driving sequences aren’t nearly as good as the original. 

That said, try to watch it completely without attachment to the 1969 original and it’s a pretty good movie and rolls along fast enough to keep you engaged. 

Next up tonight was Jason Bourne. A reasonable follow-on from the first three Bourne films (not including The Bourne Legacy). I like it but I’m a fan of the series anyway so my opinion is hardly unbiased. 

It does seem to have some signs of a film made for the sake of it (I.E., if we make another film in the franchise we can make a ton of money) but it was pulled off quite well. Tommy Lee Jones was miscast in my opinion, though. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• notanonnotanon Frets: 628
    This topic will be popular, please share your experiences ;-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The Love Punch

Pierce Brosnan and Emma Thompson in a romantic comedy with a daft plot and improbable set-pieces that just doesn’t work. Tedious, clichéd, forced and only vaguely funny in places. Probably the worst film I've seen either of them in. I only just managed to get to the entirely predictable ending and I’m not sure why I bothered.

3/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Fermat's room - very good
    Primer - very good

• sweavesweave Frets: 77
    Captain Fantastic (netflix)

This has been out a while but only just got round to watching it and thought it was excellent. Basic plot involves a couple who decide to bring their children up in a life that is a mixture of back-woods survivalist meets philosopher king, until circumstances mean they have to engage with the "real world". I found it very moving and funny, and have already watched it twice.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Rudeboy: the story of Trojan records.

Nice ramble through the history of Trojan, ska and early reggae. I couldn’t say it’s essential viewing but the label had a few cracking choons. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    Witness.  This must have felt old-fashioned even when it was released in 1985, but it's so well-made, well-directed, good to look at and well-acted that it's still a thoroughly engaging piece of mainstream entertainment. 7.5/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Witness.  This must have felt old-fashioned even when it was released in 1985, but it's so well-made, well-directed, good to look at and well-acted that it's still a thoroughly engaging piece of mainstream entertainment. 7.5/10
    I saw that was on iPlayer and was quite tempted, although I suspect my memories of it might be better than the film itself. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    As well as the sheer quality of the film-making, the beauty of it is that by being about a community outside the normal rush of the modern world, those parts of it will never date. Still probably Harrison Ford's best film.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    Knives Out

The sort of film they don't make very often any more. Good enough, though I wouldn't quite put it up with all the plaudits it's had. Makes me want to go and re-watch Brick

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    Odd. Good. Typical Coens, if there is such a thing. I enjoyed the Tom Waits section most.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    I watched Blinded by the Light at the weekend.  It helps that I like Bruce, but I thought it was a reasonably good social commentary/coming of age film.  Not sure if it was historically accurate, my memory of 1987 was slightly different, but I was living in Yorkshire at that time and the focus was very much on dealing with the fall out of the recessions and miners strike.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Kids picked a movie yesterday and chose Clue the 90s film based on cluedo. 

Utterly ridiculous and saved by Tim Curry. Quite enjoyed rewatching. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25107
    munckee said:
    Kids picked a movie yesterday and chose Clue the 90s film based on cluedo. 

Utterly ridiculous and saved by Tim Curry. Quite enjoyed rewatching. 
    A friend of mine regards that as his number one favourite film of all time.  I think it's OK.