What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Spenser Confidential

Mark Wahlberg plays wronged ex-cop who does time for stumbling across a conspiracy in the force and beats up his boss for his involvement.

Gets out of prison and then can't leave the case alone after his old boss and another cop are murdered on the day of his release.

It's typical, predictable, loud and rather overbearing with a couple of amusing moments but certainly not Wahlberg's best film ever although is watchable enough to see it through to the end, just.  

6/10 at best.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    Joker. An OK film with an outstanding performance from Joaquin Phoenix. Overall 7/10

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Train to Butan.

Korean zombie movie.
    I wondered if there was a comic element that I didn't get and it wasn't my choice of viewing but some good performances, well paced and some great visuals. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Train to Butan.

Korean zombie movie.
    I wondered if there was a comic element that I didn't get and it wasn't my choice of viewing but some good performances, well paced and some great visuals. 

I really liked it.
    Train to Butan.

Korean zombie movie.

I really liked it.
    Not usually my kind of thing ( instead of a meal out we had take away pizza and a film for MrsTheWeary's birthday)but a well made film is a well made film regardless of genre and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. For anyone who has been watching Kingdom on Netflix and wondered what it would look like pulled forward a few hundred years this is your answer.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Uncut gems, superb film loved it 

Still think Jojo Rabbit is the best film from the recent crop though and almost no mention of it in here .... 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2793
    Anyone who's taken by Far Eastern zombie films might want to check out One Cut of the Dead, and stick with it past... oh, you'll know when you're supposed to stick with it past. I'm sure it's somewhere on streaming by now. 

Pom!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Forgot to post...

Blow-Up

Following on from The Passenger, I got the first of Antonioni's English-language trio, which is famous for among other things featuring The Yardbirds with Page and Beck in a cameo. I'd also seen this when I was a teenager.

Hmmm. Not quite as good as I expected. It's definitely got some of the same enigmatic surrealism and obscure meaning (if any) but it seems more contrived and it's not as compelling and mesmerising as The Passenger. The scene in which Vanessa Redgrave spends about ten minutes wandering around topless is laughable - every camera angle and prop possible is used so you never see her tits... not that I really needed to, it just seems very awkward and interrupts the sense of realism. The Yardbirds performance is similarly a bit jarring and takes you slightly out of the narrative, even though it is part of it. I did wonder if there is meant to be some 'meaning' in the last scene, as if it's meant to imply the whole thing has been in David Hemmings' mind, but I'm really not sure. Interesting, but not that great, I don't think.

7/10

Will have to look for Zabriskie Point (the middle one of the trio) now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Outlander, 2008 film on Netflix. A b-style horror science fiction about......err..... Vikings v Aliens! A lot of fun, plenty of comforting cliché's, really enjoyed it, if you want over the top historic action this is where it's at.  
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Outlander, 2008 film on Netflix. A b-style horror science fiction about......err..... Vikings v Aliens! A lot of fun, plenty of comforting cliché's, really enjoyed it, if you want over the top historic action this is where it's at.  

Cheesy, yes - but as you correctly say a lot of fun. (It's another take on the Beowulf story.) Must have watched it a dozen times over the years. I really like the monster.
  • Outlander, 2008 film on Netflix. A b-style horror science fiction about......err..... Vikings v Aliens! A lot of fun, plenty of comforting cliché's, really enjoyed it, if you want over the top historic action this is where it's at.  

Cheesy, yes - but as you correctly say a lot of fun. (It's another take on the Beowulf story.) Must have watched it a dozen times over the years. I really like the monster.
    I don’t how I managed not to know of this till now, it’s totally my kind of film. Just found it randomly on Netflix.  Makes me want to watch Beowulf again. And Predator. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Birds of prey. 
    Pretty much what you would expect.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6539
    Notes on a Scandal. Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett as teachers at an inner-city school. Bitter spinster Dench has the hots for Cate, but Cate has the hots for ... well, someone she shouldn't. Dench is awesome, as usual. Bill Nighy also stars and just does his usual soppy character well enough. Well told, but needed the ending to build to more of ... something. 7/10
    goldtop said:
    Notes on a Scandal. Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett as teachers at an inner-city school. Bitter spinster Dench has the hots for Cate, but Cate has the hots for ... well, someone she shouldn't. Dench is awesome, as usual. Bill Nighy also stars and just does his usual soppy character well enough. Well told, but needed the ending to build to more of ... something. 7/10
    I have fonder memories of the book than the film...'she was so posh she didn't know what a three piece suite was.'

[ I don't know how accurate that is just from memory!]
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    ICBM said:
    Forgot to post...

Blow-Up

Following on from The Passenger, I got the first of Antonioni's English-language trio, which is famous for among other things featuring The Yardbirds with Page and Beck in a cameo. I'd also seen this when I was a teenager.

Hmmm. Not quite as good as I expected. It's definitely got some of the same enigmatic surrealism and obscure meaning (if any) but it seems more contrived and it's not as compelling and mesmerising as The Passenger. The scene in which Vanessa Redgrave spends about ten minutes wandering around topless is laughable - every camera angle and prop possible is used so you never see her tits... not that I really needed to, it just seems very awkward and interrupts the sense of realism. The Yardbirds performance is similarly a bit jarring and takes you slightly out of the narrative, even though it is part of it. I did wonder if there is meant to be some 'meaning' in the last scene, as if it's meant to imply the whole thing has been in David Hemmings' mind, but I'm really not sure. Interesting, but not that great, I don't think.

7/10

Will have to look for Zabriskie Point (the middle one of the trio) now.
    Wasn’t there supposed to have been an exchange of memos between the director and Jeff Beck along the lines of...

Memo from Mr Antonioni's PA: "Mr Antonioni requires you to smash your Les Paul"

Memo from Jeff Beck: "Tell Mr Antonioni to Fuck Off!”

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6539
    goldtop said:
    I have fonder memories of the book than the film...'she was so posh she didn't know what a three piece suite was.'

I don't remember it, but that quote sounds about right. And reminds me of Maggie Smith delivering "What's a weekend?" in Downton Abbey. :)

Is the book famous? The writing - especially of Dench's character's bitter and cutting inner-voice - is excellent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    HAL9000 said:

Wasn’t there supposed to have been an exchange of memos between the director and Jeff Beck along the lines of...

Memo from Mr Antonioni's PA: "Mr Antonioni requires you to smash your Les Paul"

Memo from Jeff Beck: "Tell Mr Antonioni to Fuck Off!”
    I believe so - so an unfortunate Höfner bit the dust instead. Apparently Beck also objected on the grounds that it was Pete Townshend's act and not his.

Still, at least it wasn't a priceless 145-year-old Martin...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    I attempted to watch Alien v Predator: Requiem. 

Utter, utter drivel! 

1/10 and that’s being kind.   

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Battle Beyond The Stars...  not bad at all. 

Liked it as a kid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    goldtop said:
    goldtop said:

I don't remember it, but that quote sounds about right. And reminds me of Maggie Smith delivering "What's a weekend?" in Downton Abbey. :)

Is the book famous? The writing - especially of Dench's character's bitter and cutting inner-voice - is excellent.
    I think the novel is reasonably well known in it's own right, quick Google says it was a Booker runner up. My attempts at reading prize winning novels usually over by about page 70 so it mustn't have been too challenging if I finished it!