What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• MolochMoloch Frets: 805
    I recently watched Contagion for the first time. It's a feel-good movie about a world without Gwyneth Paltrow. Very uplifting. 8/10.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805
    munckee said:
    Kids picked a movie yesterday and chose Clue the 90s film based on cluedo. 

Utterly ridiculous and saved by Tim Curry. Quite enjoyed rewatching. 
    I love that movie!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweave said:
    Captain Fantastic (netflix)

This has been out a while but only just got round to watching it and thought it was excellent. Basic plot involves a couple who decide to bring their children up in a life that is a mixture of back-woods survivalist meets philosopher king, until circumstances mean they have to engage with the "real world". I found it very moving and funny, and have already watched it twice.
    It's a great movie that 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I recently watched Contagion for the first time. It's a feel-good movie about a world without Gwyneth Paltrow. Very uplifting. 8/10.

You win the internet this evening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    The family watched Matilda for the first time the other night and it was quite enjoyable, the youngest was somewhat scared of the headmistess at first but was most happy when she got her comeupence. Well done Danny.

The wife and I watched Anna the latest(?) Luc  Besson film and although quite slow at first roused to a most wonderful climax. Splendid.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 632
    I watched Kill List last night (it’s a British film on All4). Bit gory in places, weird and slightly disturbing, but the acting was decent and, while not exactly enjoyable, it’s good.
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    edited March 2020
    munckee said:
    Kids picked a movie yesterday and chose Clue the 90s film based on cluedo. 

Utterly ridiculous and saved by Tim Curry. Quite enjoyed rewatching. 

It's worth watching Murder By Death - similar film but much better IMO.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited April 2020
    The girlfriend asked for a good family movie to combat the lock-down blues so I whipped out my special edition of Eraserhead on Bluray. Quite surprisingly she liked it, but the kids cried their eyes out and are now permanently shell-shocked - I don't know what they were expecting from a David Lynch film.  
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Anyone seem Midsommar? 
    Mooted for a family watch om Friday (kids are 15 & 20 btw). 
    I've heard its a bit weird.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6539
    Snap said:
    Anyone seem Midsommar? 

It is indeed weird. And rather brutal. Not much gore, but what there is seems awful because of the setting. I won't say much more, because spoilers. It's OK and freaky, IMHO, but not great.

15-20 should be OK (they'll have seen worse), but probably don't watch it as a double-feature with the equally weird Dogtooth.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Incredibles 2

Not a bad sequel. It seemed marginally more contrived than the original, and the same mix of adult in-jokes that children might not quite get makes it slightly less of a kids' film than you might think - my kids never liked the original as much as me and MrsICBM did - but overall very well done, and sends up even more of the superhero genre than the first one, with a bit of James Bond thrown in this time. And the baby is absolutely brilliant :).

8/10 if you're a fan of the original, probably a bit less if you're not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    goldtop said:
    Snap said:
    Anyone seem Midsommar? 

It is indeed weird. And rather brutal. Not much gore, but what there is seems awful because of the setting. I won't say much more, because spoilers. It's OK and freaky, IMHO, but not great.

15-20 should be OK (they'll have seen worse), but probably don't watch it as a double-feature with the equally weird Dogtooth.

Agree with @goldtop - not a masteroiece, but a very individual film that I think is definitely worth watching. The 'horror' aspects are far more  of an unpleasantly disturbing nature than splatterfest gore.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    goldtop said:
    Snap said:
    Anyone seem Midsommar? 

Agree with @goldtop - not a masteroiece, but a very individual film that I think is definitely worth watching. The 'horror' aspects are far more  of an unpleasantly disturbing nature than splatterfest gore.

I really enjoyed it, end yes, it's probably fine for kids of that age. To me, it's a film that plays on your mind more than outright shocks you, although there are a couple of WTF moments.

The bright side of it is that it stars Florence Pugh who is absolutely lovely. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    edited April 2020
    ICBM said:
    Incredibles 2

Not a bad sequel. It seemed marginally more contrived than the original, and the same mix of adult in-jokes that children might not quite get makes it slightly less of a kids' film than you might think - my kids never liked the original as much as me and MrsICBM did - but overall very well done, and sends up even more of the superhero genre than the first one, with a bit of James Bond thrown in this time. And the baby is absolutely brilliant .

8/10 if you're a fan of the original, probably a bit less if you're not.
    We love the Incredibles and I'm glad they took their time with the sequel rather than rush one out because it would inevitably be lucrative.

#2 is good and the baby is brilliant, it's worth watching just for that and Mr Incredible's struggle as the stay at home father.

Edit: Also thought it was rather clever that the baddie's name is Evelyn Deavor (Evil Endeavour).

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I prefer Incredibles 2 to 1....proper laugh our loud during the stay at home day bits...."they've changed maths!"
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28744
    Loved The Incredibles and its sequel. Both are easily in my top 5 Pixar movies. 

(Others probably Monsters Inc, Ratatouille, Wall-E and Toy Story 3. Yes I know that's 6 in total...)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Escape from Pretoria, Excellent film based on true events.

1917 Another well shot well acted Film that brings to light the horrors of the first world war.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited April 2020
    Audition.

Great Japanese thriller about a man who uses a fake film audition to find his perfect partner. But when he thinks he found her, she turns out to be anything but.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    The Lone Ranger

Johnny Depp in a box-office bomb that I didn’t see when it came out - I read the reviews and passed.

The reviews were wrong - in my opinion! - but I can see why it might have been misunderstood. Like Last Action Hero - which was also panned, and wasn’t a hit, but I loved - it’s a spoof, a parody, an homage and trying to be serious in parts all at the same time, and trying to put all that together often jars somewhat, but I really think the critics missed the point and piled on in a mob without watching it properly... as if no-one wanted to be the odd one out and admit to liking it.

It’s true that some of Depp’s dialogue and accent is a bit creaky, but it may be his best performance in recent years and is less just ‘being Johnny Depp’ than usual. Armie Hammer is maybe a little too dim and dozy but just about carries it off. The villains seem to be taking it more seriously, which is unexpectedly uncomfortable and also might be why the comedy sometimes seems a bit out of place.

Vast amounts of it are directly nicked from Once Upon A Time In The West - in a good way, making it obvious that it’s meant to be, and actually Once Upon A Time itself steals from many previous films so it’s a double homage really - and several other classic westerns as well as the original TV series. Maybe it helps to be my age and growing up watching all that sort of thing as a kid... I can see people who aren’t that familiar with them missing the references.

8/10. Don’t laugh :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Knives Out

The sort of film they don't make very often any more. Good enough, though I wouldn't quite put it up with all the plaudits it's had. 

Saw it a while back and can’t see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was pretty mediocre.