What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73211
    Frantz

French-German romantic(ish) drama set in the aftermath of WWI. Well-acted and quite emotive, and some interesting use of contrasting colour and B&W filming, but overall a bit predictable and clichéd, and with a couple of slightly jarring elements that made it less believable than it could have been. The twist was pretty obvious from the start, but it was hedged just enough that I wasn't quite certain it wouldn't be something else...

7/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Colour Out Of Space............Fantastic Film

The Premise sounds naff until you realise it's based on a H.P Lovecraft Story.

It's quite a Mind Fuck and whether you like Nicholas Cage or not, he plays this part brilliantly. Visually stunning film and quite unsettling at times.

Go watch it, it's awesome.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16461
    edited March 2020
    Joker.

[ possible spoilers ] 

I hadn’t paid that much attention to it so hadn’t realised to what extent it echoed King of Comedy including DeNiro in both, taking on the Jerry Lewis role.
    I guess I had expected a bit of grimness followed by some supervillainy but we had almost relentless grim. The problem with it, for me, becomes the need to keep it in the DC universe - Gotham, the Waynes, the name Joker - whereas it would work perfectly well without that and probably would have been better for it as we get these little tokens for the DC fans thrown into what is otherwise a more somber work. I guess that would have been few less tickets sold at the box office.
    I had also forgotten about the controversy surrounding the use of Rock and Roll ( part 2) so that surprised me although the awful history of Gary Glitter made it’s use much more chilling. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12537
    Dr Sleep. Nicely done adaptation of the book. Ewan McGregor is particularly  good as Danny. 

Ford Vs Ferrari. Excellent film, really gripping and highly recommended. 
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Blues Brothers 2000

The story is bobbins, but I don't care.  Lots of fun and good tunes to help while away a Sunday at the end of a stressful and tiring week.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Cols said:
    Finally got round to watching Joker.  Excellent acting, well done, thought-provoking and a film that I do not need to see ever again.
    I went to see it in the cinema and completely agree with this. It seems to have split opinion in a big way, yet I found myself in the middle... where I think I liked it because it’s very well made and acted, but I didn’t enjoy it. I ended up at exactly the same view as you describe.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1960
    Uncut Jem's
    Enjoyed it. Adam Sandler is actually pretty good in it. Not a film I'd need to watch again, but entertaining.

JaJa Rabitt
    Dreadful. Not funny enough to be comedy, not serious enough to be respectful to the subject matter. 'ze germans' accents turned this into Anne Frank meets Allo Allo. Does that sound shit? It was.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24905
    Kids choice - Maleficent 2.

Rubbish.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4702
    Jojo Rabbit

Really enjoyed it as did Mrs Mikeyrob
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9865
    Dark Waters. Lawyer Mark Ruffalo takes on chemical giant DuPont who are releasing poisonous waste into the water system. Slow burner but gripping - think Spotlight or Thirteen Days. 8/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 560
    The Night comes for us
    Completely bonkers Asian martial arts. Its like "The Raid" turned up to 11. on Netflix

Deathstalker II

80's sword and sorcery straight to video garbage. Watched it til the end though =) but that was probably because the leading actress was a bit of an Adult movie star in the 80's.  =)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    goldtop said:
    1917. Mixed thoughts - definitely worth watching as a spectacle (waiting to watch this sort of film at home would be a mistake). But if grandpa Mendes said all of those things happened in the space of a few hours, I think he might have been embellishing more than a bit.

Plus, as someone hinted/said above, with 1600 lives at risk, surely a low-odds make-or-break mission would have been the least likely choice?

7/10
    I belive Grandpa Mendes said things like that happened, just not in a single 24hrs or to the same person.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Midway - was good, but I preferred the narrative structure of the 1976 version.

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23840
    bobblehat said:
    The Night comes for us
    Completely bonkers Asian martial arts. Its like "The Raid" turned up to 11. on Netflix

I almost want to sign up to Netflix just to see that.  The director's previous films are really good.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    Outbreak.

Tonight I'm watching Contagion.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5807
    Emp_Fab said:
    Outbreak.

Tonight I'm watching Contagion.
    I’m surprised they haven’t been on Channel 4 already in the last week. 

Not that I’d know as I haven’t watched terrestrial television at home for well over a decade. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• adaminoadamino Frets: 128
    I watched Uncut Gems the other day with Adam Sandler.Fantastic acting and an amazing story.
    A basic panic attack scenario
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    edited March 2020
    Horse Girl. I wanted to like it and thought it was alright but I just get a bit annoyed with the “come to your own conclusions” endings on weird films like this.
    adamino said:
    I watched Uncut Gems the other day with Adam Sandler.Fantastic acting and an amazing story.
    A basic panic attack scenario
    Yes, Adam Sandler not playing the usual Adam Sandler - he was excellent.

Feedback
  • The Aeronauts... mmmmm... a pretty ridiculous history rewrite but my wife liked the steampunk/Jules Verne channeling and enjoyed it.. so I was happy.