What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Watched training day and colours (1988) again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Danny1969 said:
    The Paramedic. On Netflix, spanish film but dubbed well. Paramedic loses use of legs in an accident and gets all weird over his lover who leaves him. Very enjoyable in a black comedy fashion. 

I watched that too, but in Spanish with subtitles.  It's quite good, but I found it a little uninvolving - I didn't really care much about any of the characters.
  • JezWynd said:
    Sorcerer, directed by William Friedkin. A loose remake of Wages of Fear about a group of men transporting volatile explosives by truck. I really like Friedkin’s movies; his camera eye is always engrossing and often in motion (think the car chase in French Connection). Not sure what it is about his framing - maybe the fov, similar to a 50mm on 35mm(?). The score by Tangerine Dream and is the only thing that has dated (horribly). Well worth a watch.
    +1 Great film, with the superb Roy Scheider In his prime.

• ‘The Gentleman’ on Prime.  

Great song on the opening credits Cumberland Gap.

Unfortunately the movie didn’t live up to the intro.  Cliched caricatures rather than characters, dodgy plot and generally style over content.  Some okay moments and just about watchable.

https://youtu.be/rgilW1-cWu0

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Enola Holmes 

On Netflix. Quite an enjoyable romp. I guess a family film with no sex, swearing and not much violence. There was a lot of fun to it, the character of Enola was quite developed, it looked good. I guess there's a lot of CGI but in a let's make this look like old England kind of a way rather than a let's defy physics kind of a way. 
    Nice to see a bit of Worcestershire - the Severn Valley Railway and Arley station and bridge.

Enola Holmes on Netflix. 

Enjoyable romp...
    Oops, great minds. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Legion. Recorded it from the Horror Channel but have only just got around to watching it. For some reason I thought this was an Exorcist sequel. It’s not. It is utter rubbish though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    Enola Holmes 

On Netflix. Quite an enjoyable romp. I guess a family film with no sex, swearing and not much violence. There was a lot of fun to it, the character of Enola was quite developed, it looked good. I guess there's a lot of CGI but in a let's make this look like old England kind of a way rather than a let's defy physics kind of a way. 
    Nice to see a bit of Worcestershire - the Severn Valley Railway and Arley station and bridge.

Enola Holmes on Netflix. 

Enjoyable romp...
    Oops, great minds. 
    Enola Holmes has some moments of really quite shocking and gratuitous violence, considering its general tone.

I thought it was good, but fell in to some tired clichés despite seeming like it would steer clear.  (Of course she HAD to fall in love with the boy, didn't she?)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    boogieman said:
    Legion. Recorded it from the Horror Channel but have only just got around to watching it. For some reason I thought this was an Exorcist sequel. It’s not. It is utter rubbish though. 
    You were thinking along the right lines, Exorcist III is based on William Peter Blatty's book Legion.

I always get the film Legion mixed up with Priest - both star Paul Bettany, both directed by Scott Stewart.  I feel like they've got pretty much the same plot too, but that's probably because I can't remember which is which.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    sinbaadi said:
    Enola Holmes 

Enola Holmes on Netflix. 

Enjoyable romp...
    Oops, great minds. 
    Enola Holmes has some moments of really quite shocking and gratuitous violence, considering its general tone.

I thought it was good, but fell in to some tired clichés despite seeming like it would steer clear.  (Of course she HAD to fall in love with the boy, didn't she?)
    Certainly a couple of quite shocking moments although I think shocking within the context of the film - within the average Hollywood movie they'd hardly raise an eyebrow. 
    I was trying to find a classification for it - in the USA it's PG13 ( not recommended for under 13s) which seems about right. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Just seen the news on cineworld that had been starting to break last night. Sad times.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Another one who watched Enola Holmes on Netflix yesterday. 

Not bad at all but not quite as good as I’d heard it was and not at all what I was expecting. 

I didn’t watch the previews but for some reason I expected it to be funnier and a bit of a twist on Sherlock Holmes being one step behind his little sis kind of film. 

In many ways I’m glad it wasn’t, Sherlock doesn’t feature all that much and his character retains his dignity in what is basically a film carrying a loud message about female empowerment. Nothing wrong with that at all and it’s done in a way that doesn’t emasculate the male characters of the film. 

So, in that respect it’s very well done.

The story isn’t amazing and there are no wow factor plot twists but it moves on at a steady pace and the scenery of good old England is wonderful. The acting is good and characters well developed. 

It is a really entertaining family film and well worth a watch, but while some others have commented that it’s the best film they’ve seen for ages I don’t think it’s quite that amazing. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Eddie the Eagle biopic. Far better than I was expecting, although the formula is exactly the same as so many 'triumph-through-adversity' movies (e.g.) Rocketman. That also had Egerton in the lead role. Not sure how accurate it was about the arsiness of the British Olympic org and Eddie's teammates, but it's still an amazing story of pluckiness. Checked the Wiki afterwards and it's a shame that this wasn't a complete story. 8/10
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Eye in the Sky.
    Extraordinarily tense and thought provoking.
    Highly recommended.
    A war film with a difference.

goldtop said:
    Eddie the Eagle biopic. Far better than I was expecting, although the formula is exactly the same as so many 'triumph-through-adversity' movies (e.g.) Rocketman. That also had Egerton in the lead role. Not sure how accurate it was about the arsiness of the British Olympic org and Eddie's teammates, but it's still an amazing story of pluckiness. Checked the Wiki afterwards and it's a shame that this wasn't a complete story. 8/10

The only other film like it I've seen is The Fastest Indian.
    Both left me very pleasantly surprised.
    Sports films aren't normally my thing but these two were great.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14266
    Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

Spike Lee's lates movie about 5 black 'nam Vets returning to Vietnam. 8/10

My local charity shop sells DVDs 4 for £1.
    One of the 4 I bought was Terminator Salvation.
    Can't believe I wasted 25p and nearly 2 hours on this turd.
    25 bloody pence!#!!#!?!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 358
    Watched The Circle last night on Netflix.  Very scary because it was so prophetic.  But worth a look.
    Jus sayin . .
    Re-watched Aliens.
    Mostly more enjoyable 2nd time round, mostly.
    Mostly a lot better than the sequels, mostly.
    That little girl sure could scream, my ears are still ringing.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Sassafras said:
    Re-watched Aliens.
    When I got my first surround sound setup, I tried re-watching Aliens alone with all lights off and the sound up loud. I lasted about 5 minutes (and I'd already seen it and knew there was nothing really scary).

Turned the lights back on and switched back to the weedy TV speakers to watch the rest. :anguished: 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    goldtop said:
    Sassafras said:
    Re-watched Aliens.
    When I got my first surround sound setup, I tried re-watching Aliens alone with all lights off and the sound up loud. I lasted about 5 minutes (and I'd already seen it and knew there was nothing really scary).

Turned the lights back on and switched back to the weedy TV speakers to watch the rest. :anguished: 
    I remember playing Doom in the dark once with a surround sound set up. Scared the bejaysus out of me.