What's Hot

Comments

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    None , they don't make them anymore. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Sassafras said:

goldtop said:
    Eddie the Eagle biopic. Far better than I was expecting, although the formula is exactly the same as so many 'triumph-through-adversity' movies (e.g.) Rocketman. That also had Egerton in the lead role. Not sure how accurate it was about the arsiness of the British Olympic org and Eddie's teammates, but it's still an amazing story of pluckiness. Checked the Wiki afterwards and it's a shame that this wasn't a complete story. 8/10

The only other film like it I've seen is The Fastest Indian.
    Both left me very pleasantly surprised.
    Sports films aren't normally my thing but these two were great.
    Both very watchable. Another sports film I like is Invictus.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehat said:
    XMEN - Dark Phoenix - complete garbage and easily the worst of the X-Men Franchise.   
    That’s still tied for me between Last Stand, and Wolverine: Origins. Both are unforgivable as far as I’m concerned!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Enola Holmes. Absolute shit. Even the kids agreed. It went off after about an hour. Dreadful.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Big Fish (on Amazon Prime at the moment). Rambling warm-hearted nonsense about a father who's always telling tall stories about his long and colourful life. All as imagined by Tim Burton - cartoonish but not quite gothic. Some great actors, and lots of whimsy, but just not engaging enough for me. And the ending was predictable but clumsy. 6/10
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    47 Ronin (2013) - a retelling of the famous Japanese masterless Samurai story but with added bonus of an English-Japanese half-breed character for Keanu Reeves to join in the fun. Utter tosh, but very enjoyable tosh. Have your favourite tipple on hand, some snacks, the couch, then turn off your brain and have a good time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    goldtop said:
    Big Fish (on Amazon Prime at the moment). Rambling warm-hearted nonsense about a father who's always telling tall stories about his long and colourful life. All as imagined by Tim Burton - cartoonish but not quite gothic. Some great actors, and lots of whimsy, but just not engaging enough for me. And the ending was predictable but clumsy. 6/10

But Pearl Jam wrote man of the hour for the film, so not all bad.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    My Son received the Blue Ray Box Set of Harry Potter for his Birthday...We're on Number 2 (Something about a Chamber Pot) We watched the 1st one last week which I preferred to the 2nd...I hope it's not a downward spiral over the next 6 films...T'was about 20 mins too long and I kept asking him what was going on.....He's only 10 but can follow a plot better than his Old Dad... :s  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Unlike @Snap I watched Enola Holmes with the family at the weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It's admittedly a lightweight bit of fun, but that is what we expected. Personally I really like anything set in that time period (er .. Victorian Britain I guess), and also I think that Millie Bobby Brown is a very engaging actress. She was excellent in all the Stranger Things seasons. I think that she will be one of the big stars of the future.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    tone1 said:
    My Son received the Blue Ray Box Set of Harry Potter for his Birthday...We're on Number 2 (Something about a Chamber Pot) We watched the 1st one last week which I preferred to the 2nd...I hope it's not a downward spiral over the next 6 films...T'was about 20 mins too long and I kept asking him what was going on.....He's only 10 but can follow a plot better than his Old Dad... :s  
    I thought that the best by far was no 3. (Prisoner of wotsit!?!) It says something that me and the youngest daughter watched them all abut 5 years ago - except the last one! I think we just got a bit bored by then. Many people love the films of course.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    axisus said:
    tone1 said:
    I thought that the best by far was no 3. (Prisoner of wotsit!?!) It says something that me and the youngest daughter watched them all abut 5 years ago - except the last one! I think we just got a bit bored by then. Many people love the films of course.
    I’m not a fan despite having seen them all alongside family( I read the first book as well which I thought was terrible). However, the first part of Order of the Phoenix I thought was quite amazing. It’s a darker film with amazing location shots. If just otherwise twaddle. 
    I have been to the Harry Potter/ Warner Bros thing near London and really enjoyed that. Interesting in terms of the film craft. 
    The first one was made, IIRC, basically as a one off as they didn’t know if a film series would work. So there are a number of changes from that to the second by which point the studio was investing in it as a series so you get more continuity of the look as it continues. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    I think 4 is my favourite but I think they are good.  I would advise you get him to read the books, the story arc in the books is much more involved and has really good threads that didn't make the film.
  • A Hard Day's Night.  Missed the start.

Big Beatles fan but somehow resisted any number of chances to watch this properly.  I've seen various bits, some numerous times, but never let myself sit down and get absorbed.  A "zany' not very high budget cash-in at peak Beatlemania trying to expand on the boys' wacky interview personae never seemed particularly promising and of course they are awkward actors: but the film pulls it all off with surprising freshness and panache.  And of course the songs are fabulous. Ended up really quite enjoying it. 7.5/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    axisus said:
    Unlike @Snap I watched Enola Holmes with the family at the weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It's admittedly a lightweight bit of fun, but that is what we expected. Personally I really like anything set in that time period (er .. Victorian Britain I guess), and also I think that Millie Bobby Brown is a very engaging actress. She was excellent in all the Stranger Things seasons. I think that she will be one of the big stars of the future.
    Really enjoyed it too. Quite original I thought and a nice take on the Sherlock Holmes theme.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    edited October 2020
    bobblehat said:
    axisus said:
    Really enjoyed it too. Quite original I thought and a nice take on the Sherlock Holmes theme.
    hey if we all liked the same, what a dull lot we'd be eh?
    Good cast, which is what made us think we'd like it. 

At least there is a load of stuff on TV to choose from thankfully, if you a few services. 

I fancy Uncut Gems actually, though I don't think the family would be into it.

Watched Scarface again recently. Not bad, aged better than I expected. Don't get high on your own supply.........
    (I always thought that was good advice to open the windows if you'd been on the beans and cabbage.....)
  • Whenever I’m away on a 3 week project, I end watching a ‘nam film for some reason. This time it was Full Metal Jacket. Seen it many times and never get tired of it. 
    Could do with some newer recommendations though. 
    Tonight’s choice is Casualties of War which I’ve not seen before. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Just watched 4 Buster Keaton films, they're only about 20 minutes long.
    The sheer physicality of the bloke was unbelievable and the stunts would have insurance brokers quaking in their boots.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494

Probably the least known, but most underrated of that era of Vietnam films in my opinion. Both Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn are outstanding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    I recently enjoyed "First Man" about the moon landings
  • ICBM said:

Probably the least known, but most underrated of that era of Vietnam films in my opinion. Both Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn are outstanding.
    Halfway through, I know Vietnam War films are generally not joyful romps but fuck me this is a different level.