What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• westwest Frets: 1021
    Whenever I’m away on a 3 week project, I end watching a ‘nam film for some reason. This time it was Full Metal Jacket. Seen it many times and never get tired of it. 
    Could do with some newer recommendations though. 
    Tonight’s choice is Casualties of War which I’ve not seen before. 

Not Nam , but Malicks thin red line is stunning ... in case you havnt seen it ....  also a nam movie with a tv feel is jack knife with deniro and ed harris kathy baker i love it it deals with the aftermath and is very bleak ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Inception - visually stunning and some clever ideas, but ultimately it’s shit isn’t it? 4/10
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    HAL9000 said:
    Inception - visually stunning and some clever ideas, but ultimately it’s shit isn’t it? 4/10
    Most definitely not sh*t. 9/10 for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Whenever I’m away on a 3 week project, I end watching a ‘nam film for some reason. This time it was Full Metal Jacket. Seen it many times and never get tired of it. 
    Could do with some newer recommendations though. 
    Tonight’s choice is Casualties of War which I’ve not seen before. 
    It's not Nam but have you seen Hacksaw ridge? That film blew my mind, the most amazing true story ever. I get emotional just trying to describe the story to people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not seen Thin Red Line, Hacksaw Ridge was recommended to me recently as was We Were Soldiers. 
    Not sure what to watch tonight, the news that Essex has been put on level 2 means I won’t be seeing family when I get home next week so pretty shit mood atm. 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    edited October 2020
    Vidocq (2001) A French steampunk / graphic novel style thriller so far up its own ass stylistically that it can see out of its own mouth. One or two decent scattered moments, but the last five seconds are so utterly predictable and so irredeemably hackneyed  that even the meager goodwill the movie had generated in me disappeared in a flash, and I strongly recommend you do not waste your time watching this film, everBrotherhood of the Wolf is superior to this pile of shit by as many times as there are atoms in the universe. 0/10 (and that's being generous)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Just watched Devil All The Time on Netflix. 

Erm I’ll let you all watch it and come to your own conclusions...
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited October 2020
    A Serious Man (amazon prime)

Enjoyable if slightly depressing film about a Jew who’s life slowly falls apart as he consults various Rabbis along the way. Love anything the Cohen Bros. put out. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Passengers.
    I thought it was going to be a space horror about uninvited alien guests on a spaceship. Turned out to be a love in space drama.
    The 12 rating should've tipped me off.
    Started out as a soppy love story in space, got a bit exciting then went back to a soppy love story in space.
    Averagely watchable.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2248
    Just watched Christopher Robin... Dem feels!
    Wasn't ready for the massive nostalgia burst. A predictable movie, but in a nice way.  
    It wasn't a subtle movie, and does make you stop and think about your priorities. Genuinely enjoyed it, and it tugged at my heartstrings in a very unexpected way.. it may have made it near my top ten movie list.. 

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Green Book (currently on Amazon Prime). Interesting 'true story' where racist not-quite-mafia guy becomes driver to a world-renowned black pianist on a tour of the Deep South in the 1960s. Well told and shot, but it all felt a bit hagiographic and the characters' conversions seemed too simplistic. 6/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The Frame (also on Prime). Interesting premise about the parallel lives of two people who can only connect through their TVs, where each is a character in a TV show the other one watches. First 2/3rds is great, but then it gets too weird (there's a Papa Lazarou character!). 7/10

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    The outlaw king. Castles, mud, swords, blood and superb acting. Chris Pine plays his part really well.

9/10! 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The Hidden Fortress (1958). Saying that this is not Kurosawa's greatest film is a bit like saying 9/10 isn't 10/10 - it's still pretty darned good. Toshiro Mifune as a general of a defeated clan has to conduct the clan princess and gold treasure to a safe haven, making use of a couple of low, low level peasants who had been in the defeated clan army (Minoru Chiaki & Kamatari Fujiwara - doing a passable Japanese version of Laurel & Hardy and very funny throughout).  Star Wars geeks will know that several aspects of this film were copied by Lucas. Personally I'd rather watch this any day, but I'm not a big Star Wars fan so that's just my bias.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Today was the last day (for me) of the 2020 London Film Festival.  Mostly online this year, although there were a few cinema screenings, and only about 60 films/events instead of the usual 250-odd.

It was all a bit underwhelming.  I guess there simply weren't many films made this year to choose from, but some were OK.  Avoid Abel Ferrara's Siberia at all costs.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    Just finished ‘Hubie Halloween’........even worse than ‘Holmes and Watson’..just absolute shit.my eleven year old daughter said I pick the worst films ever..
    some real big names in it too they must all be skint or desperate.
    just unfunny, juvenile nonsensical shit, how does this shit get so far.
    Didn’t enjoy it..no stars!

• Watched Underwater last night on Now TV. Not particularly original but enjoyable enough. Liked that it was only 90 minutes. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    PhilW1 said:
    Just finished ‘Hubie Halloween’........even worse than ‘Holmes and Watson’..just absolute shit.my eleven year old daughter said I pick the worst films ever..
    some real big names in it too they must all be skint or desperate.
    just unfunny, juvenile nonsensical shit, how does this shit get so far.
    Didn’t enjoy it..no stars!

I made it about 5 minutes in, if that. Typical Adam Sandler being an annoying fucker with his stupid voices that were never funny in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Once Upon a Time in America (Prime). I remember loving this in the '90s, but it's aged and the length works against it. The story is great, and some of the cinematography is fantastic (that view of the Brooklyn Bridge), but it needed a longer running time, and today that means a series with time to develop the characters (and more characters). Still 7/10
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Parasite - superb
    Pet Sematary (remake) - average for that that sort of thing.