Have Line6 lost the plot?

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23195
    So what you're saying is that I should sell my penis and buy a Timeline instead, yes? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    So what you're saying is that I should sell my penis and buy a Timeline instead, yes? 
    which gives you more use/pleasure @HeartfeltDawn ? :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Nope, sell your body, you can do that over and over
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    joeyowen said:
    this has all turned very TGP.

I used a DL4 for a number of years, I'm not a pro gigger by any stretch, but I played my fair share.  
    Did it break on me? nope, but I have heard enough stories for me not to buy a used unit for sure.  

The only reason I sold mine was for the M13! My issue with that unit was the promise of more and more updates which stopped, and I had a glitch on the pitch shifter which I used too often to get around.  Still, great unit and would likely get another one day.

Delays are the wooorrsttt culprit for 'next big thing' syndrome.  Strymon's will be sold when another brand bring out another, taper and tape sounding delays.  And believe it or not, you are still the only people that notice.  That isn't a dig, I like nice pedals as much as the next guy.

TL;DR, this thread smells of TGP. Delay != to dick size. DL4's are ok.

I've said it before, but I think the Line 6 delays algo's are really good. It's their build quality and their lack of innovation that bothers me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    I've said it before, but I think the Line 6 delays algo's are really good. It's their build quality and their lack of innovation that bothers me.
    Yep, that's exactly my thought as well. 

The DL4 is a great pedal and the reason I'm riding them about it is the lack of modern features and reliability issues prevents me buying one. Hopefully some Yamaha cash will resolve the situation.

I'm certainly not a Strymon snob. I have a Flint, but I won't be investing in a TImeline.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    thats dulled the handbag wars a bit. 

I cant entertain the Strymon purely because of the £400 new price (£350 used or whatever they go for). 

Between the alter ego, dl4 and that digitech thing I dont see what it offers that makes it better than any individually or combined. 
    I could probably buy those three and still have change from £400. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156

The Bigsky will be seen as the guitarist equivalent of the Sinclair C5 in 20 years

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

The Bigsky will be seen as the guitarist equivalent of the Sinclair C5 in 20 years

How so? The C5 was a piece of shit from day one ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28099
    edited August 2014
    Got to say, I've never been much impressed with Line6 stuff. Everything they've built just seems to be lacking in at least one aspect for me - you can have a stomp modeller, for example, but you can't have one that fits on a reasonable size board if you want to be able to use 4CM. They can take a line-level signal, but can't output one. No external relay control. The list goes on...

It's almost as though they get half way through the design process, and then say "meh" and don't bother with the extra little details which could actually make their stuff useful. Now they seem to have given up on gig-level kit and gone entirely the other way, by betting the farm on building toys like the Amplifi based on 7 year old technology (which wasn't even that great compared to other companies' gear, like the Eleven Rack). So much potential...
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Got to say, I've never been much impressed with Line6 stuff. Everything they've built just seems to be lacking in at least one aspect for me - you can have a stomp modeller, for example, but you can't have one that fits on a reasonable size board if you want to be able to use 4CM. They can take a line-level signal, but can't output one. No external relay control. The list goes on...

It's almost as though they get half way through the design process, and then say "meh" and don't bother with the extra little details which could actually make their stuff useful. Now they seem to have given up on gig-level kit and gone entirely the other way, by betting the farm on building toys like the Amplifi based on 7 year old technology (which wasn't even that great compared to other companies' gear, like the Eleven Rack). So much potential...
    I'd largely agree with this.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fretwired said:

How so? The C5 was a piece of shit from day one ... :-)
    I don't get that analogy either. The Bigsky is flipping great, but it (and the Timeline) are becoming pretty ubiquitous, so the inevitable backlash has started.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Here's how delay pedals are like the C5

In the future everyone will see that you need to put all the bands delay through one diesel powered effect rack...

this idea of personal delay solutions powered by electrickery are a fad...

also the profile of the single person electric delay pedal is too low it puts too much stress on the knees...

in the future the only people using personal electric delay pedals will be the elderly and infirm setting the repeat rate too high on the pavement and irritatingly low on busy roads.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    kelvinburn;318533" said:
    It's pretty popular and People on synth forums especially seem to be going nuts about it though. It makes more sense to compare it to what used to be rack systems than it does guitar stomp boxes.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7521
    frankus said:

In the future everyone will see that you need to put all the bands delay through one diesel powered effect rack...

also the profile of the single person electric delay pedal is too low it puts too much stress on the knees...

in the future the only people using personal electric delay pedals will be the elderly and infirm setting the repeat rate too high on the pavement and irritatingly low on busy roads.
    Where can I buy a diesel powered delay rack? Can I also buy steam powered overdrive? although obviously we'd need to expand the lineup to include furnace shovellers.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    frankus said:

Bugger that .. I'm waiting for a steam powered effects rack powered by a Marshall reciprocating engine.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    I gigged a DL4 for 11 years, it never let me down. Using it on an amps FX loop was better than in series as it did suck tone. But when I redid my pedalboard it dawned on me that my M5 had all the same delays in it and 24 presets, so as it didn't suck tone. i kept that. I guess the thing is it was such a successful product that they made loads, so theres probably more of them out there to break down in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Since I originally started this discussion I've been doing some digging on the back ground to this Amplifi product line. According to a Line6 employee on their forum the decision to use Pod Farm/POD X3 technology in Amplifi came down to it's 'plug and play' features. The Amplifi product range was meant to be about more playing time and less tweaking time and they felt that the older POD software better suited that purpose.

It is also the case as @fretwired pointed out that there was a supply issue with the processors used in the POD HD which means the range has been limited to just the POD HD500X and the cheaper 300 and 400 versions have EOL'd.

That's their explanation but I'm not sure. A lot of people seem to think that Amplifi is a stop gap product to make some additional sales until newer Yamaha inspired products hit the shelves. However there seems to have been some serious marketing $$ spent on this product. I just can't get past the fact that you can't use it without an iOS device, I might actually like to try it otherwise.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited August 2014

I have a Timeline. There, i've said it.

Why? Errrr, I was going to get a Flashback, then I thought, what the hell, just get something that can do it all and be done with it. 

It sounds good, does it all, don't need any toneprint.  No more upgrade.  Done.  Finished. :)

Got it less for £310 new. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    jeztone2 said:

Using it on an amps FX loop was better than in series as it did suck tone.
    Interesting. Mine sucked tone terribly in the FX loop of the amp *until* I modded the loop to series... although that's as much to do with the poor design of the Mesa loop as the pedal. The fundamental problem is that it digitises the dry signal path as well as the effect - although given that they're modelling what some vintage delay units do to the dry tone, perhaps that's unavoidable.

Even then, it did suck a bit - I didn't notice until I replaced it with two Boss delays (which have an analogue dry signal) after the glitch incident, and it was noticeable how much it had been. I'm not really fussed normally if you can set the amp to compensate though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    There was a Guitar Player head to head with the DL4 and the tc X4 a while ago. They aren't the most critical of reviewers but they said something about it being noted for sucking tone but they couldn't actually get it to do it. Although they preferred the X4 it was close.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.