Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    Fury gets a majority decision against a non boxer, his people must know he is going nowhere in the pro ranks so I can see him just having these novelty exhibitions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Fury gets a majority decision against a non boxer, his people must know he is going nowhere in the pro ranks so I can see him just having these novelty exhibitions. 
    Totally agree - he’s the bigger man with the better pedigree but struggled to land anything beyond the odd single shot or push KSI back to create room for his punches …basic stuff really for an amateur let alone a pro (ref didn’t help though)

My daughter assured me he is a lovely bloke so if he got a million out of that ‘fight’ then it’s 100 times what he’d earn for a fight in the lower pro ranks so good luck to him 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7518
    I've got to ask myself why did I just watch that? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Its terrible. If you're a fan of the sweet science there is nothing for you here...... Fury is a moderately competent boxer at best. He's been on love island and these YT cards......  I am sure he earns far more from these endeavours than he the would with the boxing skills he possess so I guess that explains the choices he makes...... but he doesn't represent boxing - if these people got in with a competent fighter from the same weight class it would be all over quickly.,

I have no idea why people would watch these other 'YT personalities'..... they can't fight. They're horrifically cringe worthy. Acting like want to be tough gangsters - it's seriously embarrassing. People who'll do anything for attention views or money have little self respect and certainly don't deserve your respect or money! I saw one of these people - Ryan Taylor - and honestly wasn't sure if it wasn't a send up/character he was playing.... sadly it wasn't....

It's the opposite of what boxing/martial arts should be - no respect. no skill...... and they take themselves so seriously - getting all worked up if they perceive some disrespect - get a grip, your YouTubers..... child entertainers...... 

I can't believe people pay money for this stuff - ideally it'd just be ignored. I don't really subscribe to the 'it brings eyes to the sport' thing - because its only very loosely related to the sport - if your coming for that sort of spectacle and drama your missing the point.
    20,000 people there apparently so I doubt they’ll stop doing them any time soon  :s
  • I quite enjoyed that Salt Peppa v Slim fight tbf - great double right hand to finish it but Lord knows what he was doing for the first 3 rounds up till then 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    edited October 2023
    I think the general consensus in ‘boxing’ is that it needs to separate itself from any link (however vague) to Pro Boxing before it drags the sport down. 

The last 20 mins or so of this pod is a good take on it.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2T8glbvxSWPowlgrR3oOn1?si=CF48deH-QvW1q56aIdAWLQ

Or YouTube I’d you want to see how animated it gets them. 

Previously known as stevebrum
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    What a waste of life that Fury v KSI was. No more social media boxing for me.
    Lebarque said:
    Did you not like watching a drinks salesman hug a reality tv star for 20 or so minutes?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    edited October 2023
    DefaultM said:
    Lebarque said:
    Did you not like watching a drinks salesman hug a reality tv star for 20 or so minutes?
    It was utter wank
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1545
    think its healthy for the actual sport of boxing. Never a fan of these famous you tuber fights. The whole thing hit the nail right on the thumb.
    Cant see anyone paying for more match ups between these 4-5 chumps. Fingers crossed it focusses people  onto proper boxing, if they are paying for that sack of shit. 
    The build ups were pathetic.
    Quite difficult to box against KSI, just flinging his arms everywhere and grabbing. Id say tyson fury would have equal trouble fighting a live medium chicken. Who wants to watch that?
    Bag o shite.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    I didn't even pay for that and I want a refund. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • its astonishing - the reach..... I didn't pay for the spectacle. But I watched a little bit of it..... because my 13 year old daughter's friend persuaded her dad to buy it and somehow shared it with daughter - so they were each in their own rooms watching it on their iPads. I watched bits with her - and tried not to act like a grumpy old man by giving it too much of the 'this is not proper boxing!'........ that was when I realised that 95% of the people watching wouldn't have a clue what 'proper' boxing is much less care.....it has nothing to do with boxing for most of them..... 
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 143
    I watched it Sunday morning with my 14 year old. Him & all his mates were interested in it because they watch the Youtube vids & know the attention whores personalities, and that's the audience. I learned a bit about KSI and what bit of coloured water he's flogging. My son learned a few phrases to say to his mates like 'rigged to high heaven', 'more hugging than a bunch of hippies in a Bostik factory' and 'what a pile of f*^$& w*%^$£'.

Actually I think he taught me the last phrase shortly after starting middle school.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 636
    Anyone watching the Fury / Ngannou circus on Sat?

The undercard looks decent and really watchable, some potentially good fights on there
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    I won’t be paying for it or watching it. I’m not interested in the main event whatsoever although I’m sure I’ll find the highlights or something on YouTube at some point.

The undercard looks ok - Fabio Wardley‘s bout has the most appeal and I think he’ll win, it’ll probably be fight of the night. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3407
    edited October 2023
    Tyson Fury's banter reminds me of this

• Adeleye v Wardley should be a decent fight
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 770
    96-93 given to the only guy who got decked in a razor thin fight. Boxing is a sport that absolutely deserves to be the influencer clownshow that it has become.
  • As much as I’m a Fury fan I just can’t see that he won that - a draw would have been generous. But then that wouldn’t set the Usyk fight up quite so well.