Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    I’m convinced that there are a set of emergency scorecards already completed before major fights to ensure the golden goose wins.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2023
    munckee said:
    I’m convinced that there are a set of emergency scorecards already completed before major fights to ensure the golden goose wins.  
    Despite my general annoyance with boxing I’ve watched the full fight this morning. I gave Ngannou rounds 3,7,8 and 10, with the knockdown that makes 95-94 Fury. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    munckee said:
    Despite my general annoyance with boxing I’ve watched the full fight this morning. I gave Ngannou rounds 3,7,8 and 10, with the knockdown that makes 95-94 Fury. 
    Funny enough me too and agree with your scorecard as well. Fury landed a lot of jabs and although sometimes they looked lazy , he has a lot of power in them 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4800

Only watched the highlights, but based on that performance would be good to see Ngannou fight again in a boxing ring.  I wouldn’t fancy Joshua’s chances against him tbh.

If nothing else it proved to be a good warmup for Fury if the Usyk fight really does happen in December.  These fights can often be nothing events like Mayweather Mcgregor, but this was a really close fight.   I wonder how seriously Tyson trained for it and if the close result will change his Usyk preparations.

Based on last night I’m fancying Usyk now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think usyk is too small without the power to damage fury. He totally dominated the first Joshua fight without stopping him.  Fury is pretty skillful and uses his size much better than Joshua. 

Weirdly I give Joshua a better chance against fury because the risk to fury seems to be power. 

Joshua tried to box too much considering his power and finishing skills, hence he fought the wrong fight against usyk. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2080
    I had that as a Fury win too, despite popular opinion.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4309
    I’m sure everyone, Francis, ref’s, promoters, were all very clear on the deal. Francis gets his money, gets his chance to cross over into boxing on the biggest stage, but if he doesn’t knock Fury out, he ain’t getting no W.

There is enough evidence of corruption in championship boxing with titles on the line, so to expect it to not be there in this sort of match is naive.
  • I've watched the fight in full now and don't think the result is particularly contentious. In my view Fury clearly out pointed Ngannou in the manner many expected. Ngannou has power - thats not news and though I was pleasantly surprised by his boxing Fury is lifer with vast professional and amateur experience. He has, on several previous occasions, beating bigger punchers much in the manner he did last night. He knows what he is doing. So while @CloudNine is certainly right about corruption and Fury was ceratinly in bed with the Kinhans at one point, I don't think that was the case here.....

I think the Uysk fight is an interesting one. Uysk is, obviously highly skilled and has no shortage of determination. I'd be keen to see the bookies prices - might be some value there. But who knows if that will happen. Fury's notoriously difficult to deal with. I still think Fury would shut Joshua out fairly comfortably. It'd be interesting to see Ngannou in the ring again. I think he might fair well against some of the other heavyweights. 

So yeah that doesn't even come close to some of the astonishing scoring controversies I've seen - even recently. I still haven't recovered from Taylor v Cattarall! 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16163
    I've said all along, Fury is a big HAM

Here, this'll cheer y'all up

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 636
    Ngannou was never going to get the nod without a stoppage, he did really well and paced himself to not gas out although did slip into MMA stance in the final round. 

Let's not forget it was the heavyweight champion of the world versus an MMA fighter with 0 boxing fights. 

Fury didn't look great, I think Frampton? was right when he said that it was mid-training camp warm up for the Usyk fight, he looked uncomfortable and a bit lost, especially in the 8th.

The Usyk fight could be jeopardy for Dec with the nick to his eye. I still think Usyk wins, especially if Fury fights as poor as he did last night. Usyk's not as small as he's made out, and although not a concussive puncher he's super smart, accurate and has that Calzaghe effect with quantity of punches.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4800

Warren has said December won’t happen now as Tyson needs to recover after a tough fight.

"Tyson can't be going into a camp after a tough fight like that. That's eight weeks away. 

"He needs at least a bit of time to get himself, his body, back into shape. Let it heal. Then get into a camp. It will be on early next year."

• Having watched the fight a couple of times now, Fury did win in my opinion, despite the furore that some have embraced. He landed more, even if those punches were far from convincing. Carl Frampton's comment that Ngannou had taken the first five rounds was ridiculous. That said, Fury performed badly and not simply because Ngannou did much better than anyone anticipated. At times, he seemed to lack both ideas and the skills that have led to his position as arguably the number one in the division. Ngannou genuinely impressed me, but, on last night's performance, several top heavyweights could have come out on top against Fury. I'm not sure why. Ring rust, the cumulative effects of previous fights, age, I don't know.

I'm not a fan of Fury, although his trilogy against Wilder are undoubtedly classics. His fights have so often been ugly affairs compared to undeniable greats like Ali, Foreman, Tyson etc. Usyk is arguably the most talented cruiserweight in history, possibly alongside Holyfield, and has proven himself at the higher weight division. I confess to being an Usyk fan, but I've always believed that a prime Fury would beat a prime Usyk at heavyweight. Fury's performance last night must have given Usyk a lot of confidence. If Fury performs the same way when they meet, Usyk will beat him, probably by a wide points margin.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    Fury won, just, but it was close. It's possible he didn't prepare properly and underestimated Francis. Personally, I think it was ring rust and a lack of preparation. These MMA fighters don't fight like normal boxers so it's probably difficult to get that rhythm going. Maybe I'm making excuses.

It was a proper Rocky moment in any case.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6280
    I thought Fury won pretty clear tbh. Not sure why he went down from that hook either, looked pretty innocuous, not the sort of clip I'd have thought to bother him.

Fury didn't look fit and I think, despite all his well rehearsed bluster, he (and his camp) completely underestimated Ngannou. Ngannou looked pretty capable, fit and heavy hitting. Fury got complacent. Can't see the Usyk fight happening this year now, if at all tbh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    I had a bit of spare time so tried to look the fight up on YouTube. A few versions of the full fight but the camera angles were shocking; too zoomed in to see exactly what was going on half the time. 

Was the actual production that bad on the night or is it a consequence of the dodgy streams available on YouTube? 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7518
    The person that uploads to YouTube zooms in to try get around copyright stuff. 
    That makes sense. I found it really difficult to watch and hard to believe it was the same footage that was broadcast.
  • Difficult to argue with these 4 at the moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rCFDaFb9Y

Difficult to argue with these 4 at the moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rCFDaFb9Y

Will add it to the watch list. Cheers.

10th anniversary this week of Groves v Frotch 1. I watched this earlier. 10 years later it still hurts: 

The stoppage was too early but I was sure at the time Groves had a couple of punches left before being KOd. 

It was right that he got the rematch.