Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Iamnobody said:
    Share the info @richman6100 that's what this thread is for.

I’m currently enjoying the Fight Disciples podcast (they cover MMA as well) the George Groves boxing club podcast. Boxing News can be ok, I get the mag through Apple+ and sometime listen to their pods.

Did anyone watch the Chris Billam Smith fight on Sunday? He made that hard work for himself (or his opponent made it hard) either way he must have been so glad to see the rib go on Masternak.
    The George Groves podcast is surprisingly good isn't it? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    Any thoughts on Edwards chances tonight? Edwards is great but he might not be able to keep Rodriguez off him is my concern. I think it will be close but I think Rodriguez will win by points/late stoppage.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    Edwards on points. I think he’s got another level that - as good as he is,  he hasn’t necessarily shown yet. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s a 50/50 - certainly closer than the bookies have it. But I think it’s showtime’s time to shine.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    edited December 2023
    Josh Kelly fight night from Sunderland tonight on DAZN as well - and currently on there some mad German card taking place in a circus tent. 
    munckee said:
    Any thoughts on Edwards chances tonight? Edwards is great but he might not be able to keep Rodriguez off him is my concern. I think it will be close but I think Rodriguez will win by points/late stoppage.  
    Wiz awarded! You called it exactly. 

I got that wrong  ;) I was aboard the Edwards hype train! 

Not quite the fight I expected - it was competitive early on with both landing shots, but Sunny’s power didn’t trouble Bam, the usual elusiveness and movement wasn’t there (or was taken away from him)  and Rodriguez systematically dismantled him with his superior power and work as the rounds went on.
    After 35 years of following boxing I had to get one right eventually!  

I still haven’t lived down telling my mates hatton would walk through pacquiao in. 3 rounds.  

I did think lack of power would undo Edwards though.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1545
    Looking forward to the event on the weekend. Been a while since ive genuinely been excited about an event. Its on at a good UK friendly time. Sure its perhaps not the fights we should see, but its a great card and each one worthy of a ppv pretty much on its own. Looking forward to all 4 main fights as much as any of them.

Dubois miller. - Its perhaps childish but enjoy millers rants and he is funny and slick in his insults. Coming in at 330lbs+ could be an interesting fight, perhaps the punters fight of the night. Dubois needs to cement his potential and its kind of game over for him if he loses, despite his youth. Thought he did ok against usyk. Im thinking dubois mid round stoppage/cut. If it goes late rounds, dubois has a bad record of giving up, think its cos he has flamingo legs.

Bivol  arthur. Know little about arthur, but hope we get to see a real exhibition of bivols talents. mid round KO for me. Think bivol is superb, thought he tamed canelo very well , almost like mayweather through ring IQ and boxing skills and superb counters, which is canelos forte. Arthur beat yarde, SD, but yarde avenged with a rd 4 ko.  Arthur retires hurt under 10 rounds.

Wilder vs parker. Sure this one is probably a foregone conclusion, but for me, some relevant points to consider. Parker has a great chin, an under rated asset in the division, so sooner or later wilder lands and will be interesting to see how parker handles it.Thats the exciting bit i think and wilder only one round in over a year, so rusty. Fury in parkers camp. Hope it gets interesting and can see parker outboxing wilder and up on points, but me head says wilder in under 6 with the usual one shot demolition. Wilder is tough and keeps going as we have seen vs fury and dont think parker can hurt him. So its down to parkers chin if he has any chance. I think ruiz wilder is a banger for similar reasons. Ruiz perhaps best chin in division and he is a quick powerful puncher. 

Joshua vs Wallin. 
    Josh in under 8 . Think we see old style joshua saturday. Like whats happening with ben davison, lots of practicing big power punches , hooks to the body at distance, wallin doesnt take body shots well. Wallin has to play dirty with his head, hope for some cuts and whilst his win over gassiev was good (SD) , gassiev belongs in cruiserweight and no star. Probably the most boring fight of the night i think. Only hope for wallin is  josh cut, or lands on the side of joshs head like ruiz did, joshs clear weakspot.

Going to watch it with a mate, nice to see promoters join together as well. Its not happened in this era of boxing and eddie and frank co promoting with big money behind it, hopefully we see josh wilder on the same night in february as usyk fury. This one done with 6 weeks notice so you never know, especially If Wilder and josh have easy nights work.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    swiller said:
    Looking forward to the event on the weekend. Been a while since ive genuinely been excited about an event. Its on at a good UK friendly time. Sure its perhaps not the fights we should see, but its a great card and each one worthy of a ppv pretty much on its own. Looking forward to all 4 main fights as much as any of them.

Dubois miller. - Its perhaps childish but enjoy millers rants and he is funny and slick in his insults. Coming in at 330lbs+ could be an interesting fight, perhaps the punters fight of the night. Dubois needs to cement his potential and its kind of game over for him if he loses, despite his youth. Thought he did ok against usyk. Im thinking dubois mid round stoppage/cut. If it goes late rounds, dubois has a bad record of giving up, think its cos he has flamingo legs.

Bivol  arthur. Know little about arthur, but hope we get to see a real exhibition of bivols talents. mid round KO for me. Think bivol is superb, thought he tamed canelo very well , almost like mayweather through ring IQ and boxing skills and superb counters, which is canelos forte. Arthur beat yarde, SD, but yarde avenged with a rd 4 ko.  Arthur retires hurt under 10 rounds.

Wilder vs parker. Sure this one is probably a foregone conclusion, but for me, some relevant points to consider. Parker has a great chin, an under rated asset in the division, so sooner or later wilder lands and will be interesting to see how parker handles it.Thats the exciting bit i think and wilder only one round in over a year, so rusty. Fury in parkers camp. Hope it gets interesting and can see parker outboxing wilder and up on points, but me head says wilder in under 6 with the usual one shot demolition. Wilder is tough and keeps going as we have seen vs fury and dont think parker can hurt him. So its down to parkers chin if he has any chance. I think ruiz wilder is a banger for similar reasons. Ruiz perhaps best chin in division and he is a quick powerful puncher. 

Joshua vs Wallin. 
    Josh in under 8 . Think we see old style joshua saturday. Like whats happening with ben davison, lots of practicing big power punches , hooks to the body at distance, wallin doesnt take body shots well. Wallin has to play dirty with his head, hope for some cuts and whilst his win over gassiev was good (SD) , gassiev belongs in cruiserweight and no star. Probably the most boring fight of the night i think. Only hope for wallin is  josh cut, or lands on the side of joshs head like ruiz did, joshs clear weakspot.

Going to watch it with a mate, nice to see promoters join together as well. Its not happened in this era of boxing and eddie and frank co promoting with big money behind it, hopefully we see josh wilder on the same night in february as usyk fury. This one done with 6 weeks notice so you never know, especially If Wilder and josh have easy nights work.
    I’m looking forward to it too, great card. Particularly keen to see Bivol and would love to see the old Joshua but am a bit concerned he might come unstuck.  

Hope Dubois obliterates Miller!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    Amazing what money can do isn’t it!

That cheating cunt Miller shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a professional boxing ring though. I hope Dubious chins him! 

I largely agree with your assessment @swiller ;;

I’ve seen a bit of Lyndon Arthur and I’d be surprised if he gets a win against Bivol. Kudos to him for getting the fight though and you’d imagine the decent payday.

Wallin could be a banana skin for AJ and if Parker switches off against Wilder we know what happens. 

Looking forward to seeing Jai Opetaia again, and hopefully some sort of unification with him Chris Billham-Smith down the road. That’s a hard night’s work for CBS though. 

£19.99 on PPV is decent value for a card like this.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 636
    £19.99 is a bargain most definitely, I ordered it earlier, really looking forward to watching tomorrow it knowing it wont start buffering.

Tone71 said:
    £19.99 is a bargain most definitely, I ordered it earlier, really looking forward to watching tomorrow it knowing it wont start buffering.

So the big question is TNT sport or DAZN - who’s got the best comms team?! 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 636
    Iamnobody said:
    Tone71 said:

So the big question is TNT sport or DAZN - who’s got the best comms team?! 
    DAZN for me but I'm not bothered tbh as long as it isn't Jim Watt!! 
    DAZN for me as well. I’m already subscribed so it’s the easiest option. 
    Didn’t even realise there was a choice. Have picked it up on TNT. I’d rather have trainers commentating rather than ex pros to be honest. 
    Strewth what a ko. 
    Great win for Kabayel, first upset of the night. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    Wilder is awful, just a one trick pony. Congrats to Parker. 

What does this mean for an AJ v Wilder matchup? Does anyone care anymore after this? 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    Weird interview by Wilder too. He's done. Lots of therapy after losing to Fury. Just picking up the money and not getting any more brain damage now. If he's gonna fight like that now, a fight with AJ would be boring as sin, as AJ's like that a bit too.
  • Wilder is awful, just a one trick pony. Congrats to Parker. 

What does this mean for an AJ v Wilder matchup? Does anyone care anymore after this? 
    This Wilder has always been the same , big punch big very little else, Parker boxed him perfectly 
    Sounds like he is going to retire.