Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Paul Davids with Jimis Guitar in Denmark Street

What's Hot

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1216
    Check out Pete Thorn on Greg Koch's podcast recently. A great listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7232
    edited December 2021
    And Thorn has about 10x the respect. 

He's a world renowned touring guitarist featured in magazines, plays on albums with the likes of Chris Cornell, has his own signature Suhr guitars and amps, and mixes with influential people in that industry. It's not all about how many YouTube subs you have, it's the demographic of those people and the influence and respect you wield over that community.

I would undoubtedly say that Pete Thorn, who played with Chris Cornell and has his own line of Suhr signature amps and guitars has more clout than Paul Davids who does a lot of stuff involving tutorials for beginners and intermediates. Which is fine, but it isn't the same clientele in my opinion. 

That's just my take on it. Paul may have got paid well. We'll never know. 

That's not how influencers work, sadly. 

More people would listen to Kyle Jenner talk about the Covid vaccine than Chris Whitty.

Paul Davids' most viewed video has 10 times the views of Thorn, who absolutely I would rather hang out with. But to get eyes on my product....
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2021
    joeyowen said:

However, it's not really worth comparing Pete and Paul, as they are both respected in their respective ways, and that's cool
    Only reason I brought him up was just an observation and an example of someone whose business is guitar on youtube and how many thousands he charges to make a video, so someone with 10 times the audience whose business is guitar videos is not going make this one, an advert for something hopefully selling for £10m, for free.

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I was skim reading the forum on my phone this morning and initially read this as ‘Paul Daniels with Jimi’s Guitar in Denmark Street’
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18314
    tFB Trader
    I was skim reading the forum on my phone this morning and initially read this as ‘Paul Daniels with Jimi’s Guitar in Denmark Street’

You've got to admit that would the the greatest trick of all time.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was skim reading the forum on my phone this morning and initially read this as ‘Paul Daniels with Jimi’s Guitar in Denmark Street’

Have a wiz(bit)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7417
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^ The pic of the back of the “Hendrix” guitar looks like it’s been badly relic’d with a screw driver. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15395
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Very interesting reading - Glad I don't get involved in the mystery of such guitars, either via my store or personally - A mine field 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    edited December 2021
    soma1975 said:

He's a world renowned touring guitarist featured in magazines, plays on albums with the likes of Chris Cornell, has his own signature Suhr guitars and amps, and mixes with influential people in that industry. It's not all about how many YouTube subs you have, it's the demographic of those people and the influence and respect you wield over that community.

I would undoubtedly say that Pete Thorn, who played with Chris Cornell and has his own line of Suhr signature amps and guitars has more clout than Paul Davids who does a lot of stuff involving tutorials for beginners and intermediates. Which is fine, but it isn't the same clientele in my opinion. 

More people would listen to Kyle Jenner talk about the Covid vaccine than Chris Whitty.

Paul Davids' most viewed video has 10 times the views of Thorn, who absolutely I would rather hang out with. But to get eyes on my product....
    Sure but what's the demographic and what are you trying to do? If you want legions of TGP users to be interested by a Dumble pedal do you think they'll listen more to Stevie T who has 2m subs or Pete Thorn who has 250k? Are the demographic who watch Pete Thorn on YouTube even the type to subscribe? Do they watch him on Facebook and not YouTube?

Sub numbers alone just aren't everything when you look more closely at the targeted marketing or you would give the pedal demo to KSI as he's got 20m plus subs. ;)
    edited December 2021
    soma1975 said:

Sure but what's the demographic and what are you trying to do? If you want legions of TGP users to be interested by a Dumble pedal do you think they'll listen more to Stevie T who has 2m subs or Pete Thorn who has 250k? Are the demographic who watch Pete Thorn on YouTube even the type to subscribe? Do they watch him on Facebook and not YouTube?

Sub numbers alone just aren't everything when you look more closely at the targeted marketing or you would give the pedal demo to KSI as he's got 20m plus subs.
    For my sins I have worked with KSI. Not my choice but the clients wanted him no matter what. Because of his reach being more important than his controversies and terrible behaviour. And a heap of other big names in that arena. 

They gave the gig to the guy with the most subs and biggest audience in guitar influencer-ness.... Was probably between him and Justin Guitar to do it. Pete, bless him, would have been a bit further down the list. 

I don't know a single person not into guitars that know Pete Thorn - even huge Cornell fans. I know plenty of beginners and non guitarists that have heard of Justin Guitar and Paul Davids. 

Have a wiz(bit)
    I liked that.

Not a lot, but I liked it.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25074
    edited December 2021
    soma1975 said:
    I don't know a single person not into guitars that know Pete Thorn - even huge Cornell fans. I know plenty of beginners and non guitarists that have heard of Justin Guitar and Paul Davids. 
    I'm very surprised that any non guitarists would have heard of Justin Guitar and Paul Davids, but I probably don't know the right people. 

I had heard of Justin years ago but I've never watched much of his content.  As for Paul I only know him from YouTube and I know nothing about his teaching business - and until it was mentioned in this thread I'd never noticed how many subscribers he has (incidentally Stevie T has more  ).
    edited December 2021
    Well this is it innit, we are going getting personalised servings and so we assume everyone is served up the same thing as us. 

Paul's most popular vid has many millions more hits than Stevie

Not that I give a shit about either of them tbh. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    I hope Paul cashed his cheque.

soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Sub numbers alone just aren't everything when you look more closely at the targeted marketing or you would give the pedal demo to KSI as he's got 20m plus subs.
    For my sins I have worked with KSI. Not my choice but the clients wanted him no matter what. Because of his reach being more important than his controversies and terrible behaviour. And a heap of other big names in that arena. 

They gave the gig to the guy with the most subs and biggest audience in guitar influencer-ness.... Was probably between him and Justin Guitar to do it. Pete, bless him, would have been a bit further down the list. 

You may know more about this than me. :lol: 
    In fairness many to try to guide people and brands to the 'right' influencer that is good for the brand, but all they see/care about is numbers and so KSI continues to get gainful employment despite being despicable. 

• I've watched the video a few times now and it bought a tear to my eye. Just to get to play such a guitar would be life affirming.
    The shop owner nailed it by allowing us to see it and hear it before it disappears into a collection. 

If only he had plugged it into a Marshall and not an Orange! 

Very cool indeed.
    Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    soma1975 said:
    In fairness many to try to guide people and brands to the 'right' influencer that is good for the brand, but all they see/care about is numbers and so KSI continues to get gainful employment despite being despicable. 
    Why do you think he's despicable? I'm not a fan or anything.