Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bizarre Or Pointless Questions That Have Always Puzzled You.

What's Hot

Comments

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 315
    Why am I me and not somebody else?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ROOG said:
    Cheers,but I'm rather pissed already. :)
    Yeah sorry @mike_l bit like @breakstuff I'd already got the wine open by then
    That's ok, I drank the pint I bought you too.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_fx said:
    Why is the grass blue?

Because Dolly Parton says so!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclaps;336728" said:
    For me, and I assume TPD, it not whether you can see different colours but what if your brain interprets green as blue yet since birth you've been told that colour is green.  It's only a minor shift and somewhat irrelevant to communication but it does often make me curious as to whether we all see the same colour (the colour blind aside) the same.
    Yup, that's what I mean - wavelength is quantifiable, but we might interpret them differently and never know.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    edited August 2014
    there are several varieties of grass that are blue. Interestingly, there are no naturally blue varieties of roses.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7520
    ThePrettyDamned;336629" said:
    [quote="ChrisMusic;336050"]If we could see another colour, what would it look like ?
    That's my first thought!

The other is, "is the colour I see the same as the colour you see?". As we name colours to communicate the way they are, what if my red looks like your blue? I'd never know... [/quote]

If you're interested in this take a look at some back ground reading about qualia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7520
    Hertz32 said:
    Why can I divide ten by three, multiply the result by three and not get ten? Troubled me for years, that one.

If you multiplied 3.333333... by 3, you get 9.9999999999999999999... 
    No you don't you get 10. You could prob prove it with an epsilon-delta style proof to show that as you increase the digits the limit tends towards 10.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    For me, and I assume TPD, it not whether you can see different colours but what if your brain interprets green as blue yet since birth you've been told that colour is green.  It's only a minor shift and somewhat irrelevant to communication but it does often make me curious as to whether we all see the same colour (the colour blind aside) the same.
    I'm not sure. I seem to see some colours as different from other people, particularly in that blue-green colour range. Things I would describe as definitely one or the other are often described the other way by other people - more one way round than the other, I tend to see more of them as blue. The same is true for other colour divides (eg green-yellow) but nowhere near as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• My wife told me that she read a few years ago that men have a greater difficulty distinguishing green and blue shades than lady people do.   I was quite intrigued, so much so that it took me nearly 2 whole minutes to tell her to get back on with the housework.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    Hertz32 said:
    Why can I divide ten by three, multiply the result by three and not get ten? Troubled me for years, that one.
    ten isn't easily divisible by 3. You get 3.3333333333... infinitely. 
    If you multiplied 3.333333... by 3, you get 9.9999999999999999999
    Or you get 3 1/3 (three and a third), which if you multiply by 3 again, you get exactly 10.

(Primary maths ?? ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @MisterG, that is the correct answer. :D
  • Fretwired said:
    Having decided to have a family night in we watched BBC One. I have a very serious question. When did BBC comedy sink as low as Boomers and Big School? They could have been made in the 1970s .. still wouldn't have been funny though. There was more humour on Newsnight.
    I haven't seen Boomers, but Bake Off: Extra Slice was put on the iPlayer after about 10 minutes of Big School.  I feel sorry for Phillip Glenister:  Life On Mars, Demons and Big School.  It's like he's living his career in reverse. His agent needs shooting... out of a cannon, into a rock face.
  • smigeon said:

but..you're NOT me...you ARE somebody else.
    Are you trying to confuse me....?!

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    smigeon said:
    RocknRollDave said:
    but..you're NOT me...you ARE somebody else.
    Are you trying to confuse me....?!
    "I used to be schizophrenic - but where am I now I need me most ?"

>-)

ok, ok,   I'll get me coat...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    smigeon said:
    This kind of thing does my noggin in. I end upp thinking about how slim the chances of my existence are, and how I'm lucky to have been born in relatively excellent health in a wealthy part of the world. And I think about all of the tiny things that could have stopped me existing and I get mellow and sad and headachey.
    My V key is broken
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    the one that does my head in is what makes us all different. For example, my brother and I are completely different. He's a family man, got a respectable job, 2 kids, has BBQ's with the neighbours at the weekend, all that boring suburban thing. I am the complete opposite, yet we both had virtually the same upbringing (we're only 1 year apart age wise).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1051
    How do you tell when sour cream goes off?

No, really, who chose that wallpaper?

Pretty sure there are commercial passenger carrying submarines out there.  A bunch for sightseeing in pretty waters parts of the world and (for the commercial bit at least) a bunch operated by South American drug runners.
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Misterg;336891" said:
    Hertz32 said:

hungrymark said:

ten isn't easily divisible by 3. You get 3.3333333333... infinitely. 

If you multiplied 3.333333... by 3, you get 9.9999999999999999999

Or you get 3 1/3 (three and a third), which if you multiply by 3 again, you get exactly 10.

(Primary maths ?? ;) )
    So decimal points are often crap? I get that 3.333 recurring multiplied by 3 will give an answer that tends towards ten, but it's still not actually ten.
    Use Your Brian
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    If I have 1l water and heat it to 100c it becomes a gas hence compressible. If I compress it down to1/2 litre in a very strong bottle can I cool it down to the point it becomes a liquid again. Assume the bottle will not explode.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    hungrymark said:

So decimal points are often crap? I get that 3.333 recurring multiplied by 3 will give an answer that tends towards ten, but it's still not actually ten.
    Yes, decimals can't represent every number exactly (like 1/3 ). Fractions are always exact, though.