Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bizarre Or Pointless Questions That Have Always Puzzled You.

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Misterg;337225" said:
    Yes, decimals can't represent every number exactly (like 1/3 ). Fractions are always exact, though.
    Is that why there has never been a .333333p coin?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I have 1l water and heat it to 100c it becomes a gas hence compressible. If I compress it down to1/2 litre in a very strong bottle can I cool it down to the point it becomes a liquid again. Assume the bottle will not explode.
    No.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    If I have 1l water and heat it to 100c it becomes a gas hence compressible. If I compress it down to1/2 litre in a very strong bottle can I cool it down to the point it becomes a liquid again. Assume the bottle will not explode.
    No, because long before you get the gas volume down to even 1l, it will turn back into a liquid. You can't get the volume down significantly below 1l no matter how much pressure you put on it*.

(*Outside a neutron star or a black hole, anyway.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    How old is grown up?
    My V key is broken
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    edited August 2014
    johnnyurq said:
    Is it possible to be allergic to water?

Yes.
    imalone said:
    Hertz32 said:
    Hang on... 
    Frets get closer together the higher up the neck they go. Therefore, if I had a 1,000,000,000 fret guitar, there must be a set length of neck that we will never reach? maybe? 
    So the length of a guitar neck should have an asymptote... Right? presumably this length being where the string breaks over the saddle. But surely there must be a point at which the guitar string is incapable of producing a higher frequency... man I think weird shit at 2:30am
    No, sort of and yes.
    Frets reduce the speaking length of the string, between the fret and the bridge, which is inversely proportional to the frequency - you halve the length for every octave you go up, so it becomes a smaller amount you take off for the next octave or next semitone up than the last one, however if you could keep going up to infinite frequency you would get down to zero length. The most obvious limit to this is the thickness (and stiffness) of the string become significant as you get shorter and at some point it stops acting like a string, but metal crystals still have a resonant frequency according to size, which can be quite high. Eventually you hit limits as you get down to having small numbers of atoms.
    You have to factor in the fact that the fret position is determined by the centre of the fret - its highest point - so there's a certain amount hanging over on the bridge side. The "never reach it" theory assumes zero width for the fret; in fact, it only has to get close enough so that the front edge of the fret is touching the bridge. Because the front edge is further forward than the fret position...yes, there is a non-infinite limit, and it's dependent on the distance between the highest point of the fret and its front edge.
    <space for hire>
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    edited August 2014
    Another for me is if I put the required years into studying to become a gynaecologist 
    You'd be able to wallpaper the hall, stairs and landing through the letterbox.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    I used to wonder how they erect the really massive cranes that you see on building sites because surely in order to build a crane what you really need is a crane....

But I'm told that they self climb as they build.

Which is boring.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    And in fact the other one that does my head in is offshore drilling platforms.

Very few of them actually rest or are fixed to the sea bed and some of them I don't think are even tethered.
    So how is it that when the drill hits the seabed and tries to start drilling that the rig doesn't just revolve around the drill ?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    DrBob said:
    I used to wonder how they erect the really massive cranes that you see on building sites because surely in order to build a crane what you really need is a crane....

But I'm told that they self climb as they build.

Which is boring.
    they use 2 cranes, each one building the other.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    VimFuego;336863" said:
    there are several varieties of grass that are blue. Interestingly, there are no naturally blue varieties of roses.
    Does it only grow where banjos, mandolin and accordians are?
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    digitalscream;337397" said:
    johnnyurq said:Is it possible to be allergic to water?

Yes.
    Astounding! Every day be a learning day.

So what about all the water that they consist of?
  • ThePrettyDamned;336629" said:
    [quote="ChrisMusic;336050"]If we could see another colour, what would it look like ?
    That's my first thought!

The other is, "is the colour I see the same as the colour you see?". As we name colours to communicate the way they are, what if my red looks like your blue? I'd never know... [/quote]

If you're interested in this take a look at some back ground reading about qualia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia
    Whooooaaaaaa very intreesting, thanks!
  • jellyroll said:
    How can I get out of taking my wife and kids to Disneyland? 

Disneyland is amaaazing!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    ^  when I worked as a pharmacy technician I phoned the local pharmaceutical distributors on April the 1st and requested some distilled water, DOUBLE STRENGTH, no one got the joke..........
    tae be or not tae be
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Why is abbreviation such a long word? 

If we were not meant to eat animals, why are they made of food?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    paulnb57 said:
    Why is abbreviation such a long word? 

If we were not meant to eat animals, why are they made of food?

If we were not meant to eat humans, why are they made of food?
    My V key is broken
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    If we weren't meant to eat turkeys, why do their insides come in those handy little plastic bags?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    DrBob said:

So how is it that when the drill hits the seabed and tries to start drilling that the rig doesn't just revolve around the drill ?
    I don't know about drilling rigs, but there are various free-floating rig type things that are constantly positioned by gps using computer controlled propellers.

But on the subject of drilling -

How can they 'steer' the drill bit to go around corners and start drilling horizontally?

How do they know where the end is?

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1419
    DrBob said:
    And in fact the other one that does my head in is offshore drilling platforms.

Very few of them actually rest or are fixed to the sea bed and some of them I don't think are even tethered.

The floating rigs are all anchored in position.

Also the amount of torque required to drill the hole is less than that required to spin the rig.

That's where I work, and also I'm a scientist me.

;) ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited August 2014
    If our bodies natural reaction to injury is swelling to increase padding and blood flow etc. why do we put cold packs on to stop it? 
    Surely we have evolved to have the most efficient way of healing physical injury, why do we know better?
    Also, Why do we laugh, and why do we sleep?  
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100