The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    tony99 said:

Have they breached FFP?
    You might ask whether FFP rules are defined in such a way  that breaches are clearly and unarguably definable.
    ;)

If the rules are defined in a way that is open to interpretation, then arguments will always take place in the grey areas, and there will always be "speculation" about how the rules have (or have not) been applied and what factors influenced those decisions.

A clever response and remember if 1 is absolutely right and 100 is absolutely wrong, then lawyers make a fortune out of the 99 in the middle  - Who owns the clubs and who sponsors the stadium + club brand, at such an exorbitant fee that ensures FFB is within the appropriate boundaries - And who owns the country that owns both the above 

Mind you it is one up one the previous owner Thaksin Shinawatr - A nice man who was declared honorary president before Interpol wanted him - obviously managed to by pass the fit and proper PL ownership requirements 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    bertie said:
    Mane's off then 
    Yeah, shame for Liverpool.

I'm not a L'pool fan, but seriously I want anyone but Man City to win the Prem next season.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    We've signed this Fabio Vieira guy, for £34.5m I think. He looks sleight and skinny so I hope he's going to be training hard in the gym pre-season otherwise he's gonna get bullied off the ball. I've never seen him play before though so got no idea on what to expect. Supposedly an attacking midfielder, who will provide some competition for Odegaard. But more aggressive apparently. Reports going that we want to sign Raphina from Leeds but I don't really want him. Attitude and temperament questionable. Talks over signing Gabriel Jesus are progressing, we do need a couple of strikers despite Nketiah signing a new deal.

Looks like Edu and Arteta aren't messing around though getting the business done early.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27480
    My order of preference, as a Spurs fan;

1.  Sell Ndombelazygit.
    2.  No takers?  Loan out Ndombelazygit.  Somewhere far away.
    3.  Swap Ndombelazygit for some lockdown pasta & a couple of loo rolls.
        (Levy is a good negotiator - one of the loo rolls might even be unused).
    4.  Damn, it’s a hard market.  Give away Ndombelazygit.
    5.  New right wing / back please.  Bye bye Emerson “what’s a cross” Royal.
    6.  New Centre Forward so Mr Kane doesn’t have to play every minute of every damn match.
    7.  Loan out the entire U23 squad to Norwich for the season.
       (It worked brilliantly for Skipp, it might work just as well for a couple of others too)
       ((And Norwich could get promoted again))

And don’t, under any circumstances, buy any expensive (>£30m) foreign “star”.  They never work out well.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    TTony said:

1.  Sell Ndombelazygit.

isnt he already on loan to Lyon ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    TTony said:

1.  Sell Ndombelazygit.

isnt he already on loan to Lyon ?
    Was last season.

For some unfathomable* reason, they decided not to take up the option to make the loan permanent.

*There might be a clue in point1, above.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited June 2022
    I propose we need another centre half and a creative midfielder too... wave goodbye to Winks and Davidson Sanchez
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I propose we need another centre half and a creative midfielder too... wave goodbye to Winks and Davidson Sanchez
    Yup, I fear Winks' time is up - which is a shame (IMHO) because he's an old-school type of player who  (IMHO again) would always do absolutely everything he could for the team (c/f Ndombelazygit) whenever he played.

And is a good pro role model off the pitch too.

Think he's another who lost confidence somewhere along the way which affected his game and turned him into a risk-averse sideways-passer rather than the more adventurous attacking midfielder that we saw glimpses of.

tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Yup, I fear Winks' time is up - which is a shame (IMHO) because he's an old-school type of player who  (IMHO again) would always do absolutely everything he could for the team (c/f Ndombelazygit) whenever he played.

Think he's another who lost confidence somewhere along the way which affected his game and turned him into a risk-averse sideways-passer rather than the more adventurous attacking midfielder that we saw glimpses of.

Agree - he looked a useful player 2/3 years ago - A few months ago I'd have said he was the type of player we should buy but think we are getting options now in place - I can imagine a Brighton, Brentford, Soton make a move for him - Might be a useful exchange deal with Soton for Ward P
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3066
    edited June 2022
    TTony said:

Agree - he looked a useful player 2/3 years ago - A few months ago I'd have said he was the type of player we should buy but think we are getting options now in place - I can imagine a Brighton, Brentford, Soton make a move for him - Might be a useful exchange deal with Soton for Ward P

Brentford wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. 

2 goals and 3 assists in 128 appearances, 26 yrs old and probably on over 100k per week.    He’s absolutely bang average. It’s got Fulham all over it.  

He was nice to the old dears in that Spurs documentary though, so yeah… there’s that.  
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Winks is Dele Mk2, but with less skill.

Both reached a plateau too young, couldn't maintain it and are now also rans.

Winks couldn't pass forward, Dele couldn't pass without an annoying flick of some kind that gave the ball away.

Sanchez has improved considerably under Conte, though. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Frustrated by the lack of movement for Man United so far, only players out.  Pre season starts next week so would have been good to have a few signings done.

This is how I imagine the Man United negotiations going…..

https://youtu.be/Tt8DoNerIPY
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Personally I think that Man UTD isn't the same draw as it was a few years ago. I think that in general it is, but because of no CL football and the lack of direction and disarray, people will prefer to wait until the situation is improved before coming.

You need one amazing season. Finishing 2nd or 3rd, CL qualification at least, maybe winning the Europa Cup, and I think that will really kick start an improvement in fortunes for Man UTD. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Personally I think that Man UTD isn't the same draw as it was a few years ago. I think that in general it is, but because of no CL football and the lack of direction and disarray, people will prefer to wait until the situation is improved before coming.

You need one amazing season. Finishing 2nd or 3rd, CL qualification at least, maybe winning the Europa Cup, and I think that will really kick start an improvement in fortunes for Man UTD. 
    I think it will be a tough fight for MUFC to get 4th this coming season - You have to assume Citeh + LFC will be nailed on for the first two slots - Spurs will/should do better with a full season under Conti - Chelsea maybe a touch uncertain with new owners, changes and the loss of Rudiger and as yet no new players in - But I'd still expect them to be in the first 4 places 

I'm guessing a fight for 4th between Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U 
    scrumhalf said:
    Winks is Dele Mk2, but with less skill.

Both reached a plateau too young, couldn't maintain it and are now also rans.

Winks couldn't pass forward, Dele couldn't pass without an annoying flick of some kind that gave the ball away.

Sanchez has improved considerably under Conte, though. 
    Although both Winks & Dele failed to meet expectations, I think it was for different reasons.

Dele got distracted by "the life".  I get the impression that he'd rather enjoy the image that he created on-field, and his off-field profile rather than actually demonstrate how he earned that image in the first place.  I'm sure he's enjoying life right now, but that fame passes soon enough when you're no longer an England regular and can't even get a game for Everton.  After a free transfer.

Winks, I think, lost confidence when his role got chopped and changed by the different managers.  He was quite an active, energetic, forward-looking midfielder (though never a Dele-level goal-scorer), but he's ended up as a sideways passing defensive midfielder who's a bit too prone to the over-ambitious tackle.

Maybe both needed a little more life-coaching ...

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I think the fact they are paying shareholders £11m today but can't seem to sign any of the targets says a lot.

Also the fact that Eriksen is currently deciding between Us and Brentford, no disrespect to Brentford, but this is exactly where we are right now.  Honestly he'll be better resigning for Brentford IMO.

True but hard to see that happening with the current squad and I'm not sure we will be signing the right players to change that. We don't have the structure, the scouting, the negotiation skills.  Ironically Ralf Rangnick might have been able to help there.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

They won the Europa League in 2017.
    In 17/18 they finished 2nd.
    In 19/20 they finished 3rd.
    In 20/21 they finished 2nd.

Last season they finished 6th and they're still shit. 

I don't understand your logic.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited June 2022
    CHRISB50 said:

They won the Europa League in 2017.
    In 17/18 they finished 2nd.
    In 19/20 they finished 3rd.
    In 20/21 they finished 2nd.

Last season they finished 6th and they're still shit. 

I don't understand your logic.

The Europa League was 5 years ago and a whole different team ago, as was that 2nd place finish. Their subsequent (I notice you left out the 6th place the following year) finishes were completely unconvincing and they scraped into the top four while other teams were also poor, and spent the the whole of 19/20 and 20/21 threatening to sack their manager for poor performances. They went out of the CL in 2017/18 in the second round, 2018/19 in the QF, in 2020/21 in the group stage and this year in the second round. 

A season of attractive football, managerial stability, convincing performances, a trophy, or multiple long trophy runs and a league position that feels deserved would do wonders for the confidence of the team, and make them attractive for players who would normally jump at the chance to join them. Have they had that in any of the seasons you mentioned? Even when they won the Europa league? Were any of those seasons 'amazing'? Nope. 

If you only look at the league position and don't bother to look at the bigger picture I understand why someone might feel confused, but when you do the logic is pretty much sound. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So Wayne's on his way - Was it the fear of DCFC playing Leicester in a pre-season friendly and a potential re-match of the WAGS

Timing was impeccable - The day the ground is purchased by a local business developer and a potential rescue package nearly in place

To be fair to Wayne, he could have walked months ago - It wasn't his hassle - I dare say he has learnt a lot during such an experience and an experience the likes of Pep and Clop will never encounter - Great credibility to him for sticking it out as long as he did 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1211
    Newcastle fan here and newish to forum. So joining in and like a bit of footy banter. Father was a geordie, summer hols up there with his sister in late 70s, spanish city, tynemouth etc. Wallsend pedigree. Its in the blood. 

So .. Good NUFC buy today for 22 yr old dutch Lille defender Sven Botman. right position to strengthen imho. 

Bruno Guimarães one of best signings in recent premiership history this year. 24, hungry to be an NUFC ledge. Amazing reader of other players.  Defensive midfielder, but not afraid to sprint into the pen area when its safe to do so. He has banged 5 in from 17 games for the toon and captained brazil u23 olympic squad 2020.

I have reservations about trippier signing in his attitude long term, but he looked fine for the few games he played and hit the net.

Howe done a great job of going for fundamental basics first . Duty, morale, motivation, responsibility etc.  With not many changes of players that were all seen to be a sack of shit under bruce. Toon are v v v happy with him and not since rafa/bobby/keegan has  there been a well deserved sense of optimism in the fans. 

Think we float with man u , spurs, the arse etc next season, so upper mid table.  Cant wait for the Man U games next season. Simply a battle of all the basics i mentioned howe has got right, and exactly the opposite in Man U. 

and yup...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk87a7r0V60&t=25s

Howay the lads.

Dont worry, be silly.