The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14707
    tFB Trader
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c72prpwggqxo

So who has been a naughty boy then - Well 2 naughty boys - Has the club suspended them for now ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c72prpwggqxo

So who has been a naughty boy then - Well 2 naughty boys - Has the club suspended them for now ?
    I would anticipate dropped charges or acquittal, in the tradition of Mason Greenwood and Benjamin Mendy.  Footballers are almost as teflon-coated as Donald Trump.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 24 tFB Trader
    2 horse race now - surely - maybe 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1118
    Nice one Everton!

Now to support Brighton for one night only tomorrow - however I think City will win their two gamesin hand.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7320
    If Oliver Glasner joined Palace at Xmas- we’d be fighting for Europe right now I reckon . We looked superb this week 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1395
    As a toon fan, not going to say we played shit tonight. Palace continue to be a threat to anyone in premier league with 5-2 west ham and 1-0 liverpool. Its a team on fire with belief, confidence which matters.  Palace midfield and attackers looked world class and some of the best football ive seen this season. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7320
    swiller said:
    As a toon fan, not going to say we played shit tonight. Palace continue to be a threat to anyone in premier league with 5-2 west ham and 1-0 liverpool. It’s a team on fire with belief, confidence which matters.  Palace midfield and attackers looked world class and some of the best football ive seen this season. 
    Very gracious of you swiller , you got us in our best week of the season unfortunately!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4688
    Unbelievable 
    I feared for Everton going into this game but DCL actually showed up for the first time in years !! 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1395
    swiller said:
    As a toon fan, not going to say we played shit tonight. Palace continue to be a threat to anyone in premier league with 5-2 west ham and 1-0 liverpool. It’s a team on fire with belief, confidence which matters.  Palace midfield and attackers looked world class and some of the best football ive seen this season. 
    Very gracious of you swiller , you got us in our best week of the season unfortunately!
    Something is seriously working over there. It was all slick aggressive one touch football. Great to watch and sense it wont go away during the rest of the season.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1490
    If Oliver Glasner joined Palace at Xmas- we’d be fighting for Europe right now I reckon . We looked superb this week 
    Forest interviewed and rejected him for a back handed favour for a mate and ended up with Nuno. 

It’s definitely not got me close to the ledge 
    tFB Trader
    Unbelievable 
    I feared for Everton going into this game but DCL actually showed up for the first time in years !! 
    They played well- great character and commitment- makes you wonder where it comes from when you watch other EFC games - but enjoy that win - They deserved it 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1118
    Unbelievable 
    Must be that tracksuit Dyche was wearing as superstition..
    tFB Trader
    Wow - tonight’s going to plan !!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely appalling and clueless 
  • Wow - tonight’s going to plan !!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely appalling and clueless 
    I can already hear car horns going off.. QPR done us a solid.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27876

Just a couple more games to lose, and Leeds can avoid relegation from the PL next season ;)

Leicester have lost 10 games this season, including 2 of their last 4.  They need to sort that out, or they'll get hammered next season.

Ipswich have conceded 53 goals this season - they're going to need a new back 5 before next season or their goalie will be getting a bad back from all the bending down to pick the ball out of the net.

I don't see any really strong team likely to get promoted and survive next season.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited April 26 tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Just a couple more games to lose, and Leeds can avoid relegation from the PL next season

Leicester have lost 10 games this season, including 2 of their last 4.  They need to sort that out, or they'll get hammered next season.

Ipswich have conceded 53 goals this season - they're going to need a new back 5 before next season or their goalie will be getting a bad back from all the bending down to pick the ball out of the net.

I don't see any really strong team likely to get promoted and survive next season.

That either tells us all we need to know what is wrong with the PL - And/or shows the arrogance of an elite club, in that 'we are big, strong and safe' - Forgetting that in the EFL all clubs play more games, with a smaller squad and are far less pampered than the true elite PL teams - Yet still have half a squad on international duty so no rest during such a break in the program - We had 5 players on the pitch for the recent Wales v Finland match - Plus further travelling time for many games - Plymouth to Sunderland for starters 

As it stands today Leeds have 90 points - Only 1 other team in EFL history has not got promoted with that amount of points - Any other season Leeds and Leics would have been up weeks ago - We could end up with 93 points and not go up - We might still go up with 90 points but I doubt it  - There is a gulf between the 2 divisions - But equally I bet the likes of Spurs would not have achieved much better, with such a schedule, than Leeds, Leics and Ipswich have - Going to the likes of Preston on a crap mid week night in Dec is not as easy as you'd think - They all put up a bigger performance against you, because you are an arrogant, former big name and they want to put you down - Nearly every away match this year, in the EFL, Leeds have played against  teams that on that match day have recorded their highest seasons crowd - We take the biggest away fans, every game, by some distance and would take more but capacity won't allow it - In short, it is their cup final and apart from any other local derby they might have (QPR v Millwall) they are hell bent on beating former PL clubs 

Our last 2 defeats were both to teams that could still go down, Blackburn and/or only just survived relegation tonight, QPR - If they are so good, why are they down there - Or do they just give more 'spunk' when they come to play you 

The EFL clubs don't get the same TV revenue and as an overview it is easy to see why - But I bet the Sky viewing figures for any Leeds match and indeed one or two other 'bigger names' in the EFL, will be far greater than that of Bournemouth v Brentford/Palace/Brighton/Burnley/Luton/Sheff Utd 

By a distance it is the biggest and toughest 2nd tier league in world football - I think that all but 1/2/3 clubs in the EFL have played some form of PL football - In short I think it is easy for elite clubs to put you and the league down - But I would love to see you all give it a go - Most would fail, of that I'm pretty sure - Add to that, at times some of the opposition teams are far more 'agricultural' with their style of play and the way they 'beat' you up - We are a smaller/lighter team and it has cost us a couple off games at least - Add to that pitches that are not as lush as that of Spurs and you'll find out why it is such a long gruelling league 

I'm sure fans of clubs that have played in both leagues in recent years, be it Brentford, Forest, Bournemouth, Luton etc will support most of what I've said - Yes the top 6/8 PL clubs are bigger with better stars but boy are they pampered and even lucky with the treatment and package they recieve - I can think of a few PL stars that could not hack a EFL season and its schedule

As it happens I hope Ipswich go up - They have been a breath of fresh air this season to the league - Smaller team/squad and no parachute payment - Div 1 last season - And they've played with a never say die attitude all season - But equally I'd rather they go up in the play offs and we go straight up - Don't fancy the play offs one bit - Pure lottery 

Finally - For any EFL promoted team - The goal is not to take points from the top 6-8 elite clubs either at home or away - But any of the teams in the current PL bottom 10 can be beaten at home by a newly promoted team - Add to that a few away draws and the odd away win and on paper it is not as tough as some make out - The likes of Bournemouth have shown with the right attitude you can play well, entertain, threaten the big guys and survive 

Maybe Spurs is a bigger club than Leeds these days, but that doesn't reflect on what is on display in their trophy cabinet - Does it
    tFB Trader
    I assume Leics will be welcomed into the PL with open arms by the authorities - Along with their appropriate points deduction for the start of the next season
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9688
    Very proud of my QPR today… truly thumped the mighty Leeds last night.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27876
    TTony said:

Just a couple more games to lose, and Leeds can avoid relegation from the PL next season

That either tells us all we need to know what is wrong with the PL - And/or shows the arrogance of an elite club, in that 'we are big, strong and safe'
    That wasn't written by "an elite club" - it was written by me!

EFL obviously clubs play more league games, but cup and European games add to games played for (some, not all!) PL teams.

I was not denigrating the level of play or difficulty of competition in the Championship, merely that this season's promotion contenders do not appear to have been clearly stronger than the rest of the teams in that Division.  Given the - generally accepted - gulf between EFL and PL levels, if a team isn't far and away better against Championship opposition, then they're likely going to struggle in the PL.

Burnley, last season, were much stronger in the Championship, but have obviously struggled this season.  Last season's  stats for Sheffield Utd and Luton look very similar to Ipswich/Leeds this season.  Hence the comment that whoever gets promoted will have a lot to sort out if they are to survive in the PL.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Very proud of my QPR today… truly thumped the mighty Leeds last night.
    It wasn't just the score line it was a total inept performance by Leeds - Best Chair I've seen for years