The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14370
    tFB Trader
    It would be a terrible shame to lose Everton.

Why when it’s usually dodgy owners over- reaching or cooking the books that fans are the ones that suffer .

The club has been happily solvent for nearly 150 years and then big money comes along with the premier league and the global ‘investors’ smell profit , often the sort of people that shouldn’t be allowed to run a pub raffle too :-(
    Even if insolvency came along, it doesn't mean the end - Generally it is not - It will more often than not be a case for another overseas buyer picking up 'a bargain' - It is still a strong brand with potential - But the issue over the last 5-10 years is for the owners trying to compete with insufficient funds, coupled with many errors, on/off the pitch, bad transfer deals, 2/3 bad managers that cost a small fortune to pay off (Lampard was something like a 7 mill pay off on top of a wage for carrying out a shit job) - For a skilled investor, it is probably easier to buy an insolvent company and start a fresh, rather trying to correct 10 years of incompetence with a heavy weight of debt around your neck 

Sure someone like @ttony can tell you more - But I think for a PL club to go under, the new owners only have to take with them football/player related debt (ie any transfer money still OS to another club), wages, HMRC and often with them you can get a penny in the pound deal - Otherwise other debt you can get a penny in the pound settlement which makes a mockery of the system - It is a mess and maybe the insolvency experts can put together a rescue package - But if they can pull off insolvency, pick up 9 points accordingly and stay up during May/June then the 9 points becomes a freebie this season 

Not sure how such rules fit in with the PL in that they might bring them into play next season (assuming they are safe for this season) so it is not a 'freebie'

It doesn't look good and no smoke without fire - But just talk at the moment - But strong talk and not Sun gossip
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    As a Pompey fan (championes!!) I'm prepared to admit I feel sorry for my saints fan mates, they seemed to scrap their way right back into automatic contention only to blow it at the last.  Pleased for Ipswich though who deserve to go up.  Usually the team/teams who just miss out on promotion don't seem to do very well in the play offs and Saints could have Leeds last game of the season followed by Leeds in the play offs.  
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Was the Luton -v- Everton game scheduled at the start of the season to be played tonight or was it moved by SKY Sports due to its significance in the relegation battle at the bottom of the Premier League?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited May 4 tFB Trader
    Wow - EFL - prior to kickoff only Soton know for 100% sure they are in the playoffs starting next weekend 
    plus 1 of 4 to go down

9 key relegation, promotion and playoff places still to be finalised over 7 games 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27681
    And all over.

Good to see Ipswich get promoted, though I think they'll find it very tough in the PL.

Of the play-off teams, none really finished the season in good form.  Norwich have been strongest, and the play offs frequently don't reflect end of season table placings.  Interesting few games ahead.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    All we can do is our win our games til the end of the season. Job done. (Still think City will win theirs though).
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Good result So'ton.

Agreed with Tony- Ipswich will have a tough going next year, but all the best to them! 

Expected loss to Arsenal by us today, they played quite well.
    tFB Trader
    Congratulations @FastEddie ;

You deserved it - Who knows who will join you but best of wishes to you next season -Enjoy the ride , hope it is successful, keep your manager and your identity 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 383
    Up a Towen!
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 578
    Jfingers said:
    Up a Towen!
    Thank-you.
    It was a surreal season. I really cannot believe it has happened!
    In the end we were 1 point from the top!

I want you to smash the Budgies.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    Massive congratulations to Town, can’t see that they’ll struggle any more more than any other side promoted from Championship to PL.

Hugely talented manager and super stylish, never say die attacking football (life long fan too). They’ve been proving people wrong all season…long may it continue!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7132
    I swear they're all loonballs:

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Great football by Chelsea, west ham looking very poor. 3 down in 1st half, and looks like it may be far worse...

• LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 82
    edited May 5
    Shocking performance once againangry Moyes Out! 
    Finished at 5 up. Only. I think CFC may have a decent next season, should they stay out of injuries.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    Finished at 5 up. Only. I think CFC may have a decent next season, should they stay out of injuries.
    And if they don't sack Poch and go back to square one again.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4606
    The worst game of the season coming up. Liverpool at home to Spurs and Salah can't score for shit right now. . Not confident of a Liverpool win but hoping spurs lose a lead 
    Philly_Q said:
    And if they don't sack Poch and go back to square one again.
    And/or get a significant FFP penalty ...
    DesVegas said:
    Liverpool at home to Spurs and Salah can't score for shit right now. . Not confident of a Liverpool win but hoping spurs lose a lead 
    Don't worry, Spurs seem to be trying hard to avoid Europe next season. 

If Salah can't score, we'll have someone ready to score for him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    We've given up. Half an hour to go and we're 0-4 down.

I'd make them walk back to London.