The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27722
    scrumhalf said:

I'd make them walk back to London.
    There’s one or two who could walk a bit further …
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lopetegui OUT.

You heard it here first.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9912
    Was he the chap who just suddenly walked out on Wolves just as the season started?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Was he the chap who just suddenly walked out on Wolves just as the season started?
    He was.

Apparently, they had a disagreement over the transfer budget, or the away strip, or who sat where on the coach, or something.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14465
    edited May 6 tFB Trader
    Not sure I disagreed with the officials on that disallowed goal by Man U - A Goal keeper foul appears to have it’s own rules 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3033
    TTony said:
    He was.

Apparently, they had a disagreement over the transfer budget, or the away strip, or who sat where on the coach, or something.

He also agreed to take the Real Madrid job while still the Spanish national coach - on the eve of the world cup! so they sacked him on the spot, leaving Spain managerless for the tournament. 

He lasted about five games at Madrid. 

He was originally lined up to come to Wolves when Fosun took over in the championship, but he backtracked on that agreement and left us in the lurch at the last minute to take the Spanish job so we got Nuno instead. Thank god for that. 

When he eventually turned up (we waited ages for him out of respect for his Father who was ill and he wanted to spend some time with his family) he arrived like a messiah and  huffed and puffed his way through a relegation scrap by the skin of his teeth. 

His only real accomplishment was winning the Euro cup with a Sevilla team built by somebody else who he then decimated and fell out with the Seville owners about. He wouldn't have won that cup either if Raul had taken a proper penalty in the quarters when Nuno's knackered Portuguese superstars, who had played right through from qualification rounds and empty covid stadiums took him all the way to the 83rd minute. 

I hope West Ham get some value out of him, Moyes has given them some good times in Europe and top half finishes, but Wolves fans don't think all that much of him.  Score one goal and shut up shop. As put so succinctly in Viz profanisaurus, 'as limp as a Wolves first half'. GON showed him how to put some passion and belief into a team with limited resources, he lost all of his top players and still managed a mid table finish with half the team Lop walked away from. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2587
    edited May 7
    What a night at Selhurst last night! We really are living the dream at the moment. 14th in the league and spanking so called ‘better’ teams. Was saying to my lad after the game how it contrasts to the first Palace game I took him to when we were in the championship and we beat Preston NE 3-1. He was 6 years old then, 21 now and we sank a few after the game. 

My head hurts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9912
    blobb said:
    TTony said:
    He was.

He also agreed to take the Real Madrid job while still the Spanish national coach - on the eve of the world cup! so they sacked him on the spot, leaving Spain managerless for the tournament. 

He was originally lined up to come to Wolves when Fosun took over in the championship, but he backtracked on that agreement and left us in the lurch at the last minute to take the Spanish job so we got Nuno instead. Thank god for that. 

When he eventually turned up (we waited ages for him out of respect for his Father who was ill and he wanted to spend some time with his family) he arrived like a messiah and  huffed and puffed his way through a relegation scrap by the skin of his teeth. 

His only real accomplishment was winning the Euro cup with a Sevilla team built by somebody else who he then decimated and fell out with the Seville owners about. He wouldn't have won that cup either if Raul had taken a proper penalty in the quarters when Nuno's knackered Portuguese superstars, who had played right through from qualification rounds and empty covid stadiums took him all the way to the 83rd minute. 

I hope West Ham get some value out of him, Moyes has given them some good times in Europe and top half finishes, but Wolves fans don't think all that much of him.  Score one goal and shut up shop. As put so succinctly in Viz profanisaurus, 'as limp as a Wolves first half'. GON showed him how to put some passion and belief into a team with limited resources, he lost all of his top players and still managed a mid table finish with half the team Lop walked away from. 
    Yes I do remember bits of that now you mention it - definitely looks like you lot did better for him leaving to be honest and after the initial doubts about O'Neill he seems to have done a splendid job for you.

Maybe Tony's Lopetuegui out joke will come to pass of Lopetegui's own Bolton just before the season starts if a better offer comes in!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7255
    Not sure I disagreed with the officials on that disallowed goal by Man U - A Goal keeper foul appears to have it’s own rules 
    I’m a Palace fan and thought it was soft tbh. Henderson isn’t comfortable in those situations and I reckon he saw it as a chance to buy a free kick.

What a result though , I know it’s not the Man U of old but we owe them a few spankings and seeing Olise in particular playing like he’s over the park was brilliant . If we had peak Wilf in this team we’d be good enough for Europe !
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11951
    TTony said:
    He was.

I think he was promised a certain amount to spend on players, then they remembered FFP is a real thing, Wolves also sold a few players and he got annoyed and didn't like his group of players he was left with and left.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3100
    blobb said:
    TTony said:
    He was.

Yes I do remember bits of that now you mention it - definitely looks like you lot did better for him leaving to be honest and after the initial doubts about O'Neill he seems to have done a splendid job for you.

Maybe Tony's Lopetuegui out joke will come to pass of Lopetegui's own Bolton just before the season starts if a better offer comes in!
    Lopetuegui, wants the moon on a stick, that lad. It'll end in tears.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

tFB Trader
    I’m a Palace fan and thought it was soft tbh. Henderson isn’t comfortable in those situations and I reckon he saw it as a chance to buy a free kick.

What a result though , I know it’s not the Man U of old but we owe them a few spankings and seeing Olise in particular playing like he’s over the park was brilliant . If we had peak Wilf in this team we’d be good enough for Europe !
    And Mateta looks a brute of a man to handle - A kind of Romelu Lukaku without the attitude - Almost an old fashioned style of centre forward 

I know Man U have injury issues but that team look like the can't wait to go on a summer holiday - Lack of interest, style, commitment 
    And Mateta looks a brute of a man to handle - A kind of Romelu Lukaku without the attitude - Almost an old fashioned style of centre forward 

I know Man U have injury issues but that team look like the can't wait to go on a summer holiday - Lack of interest, style, commitment 
    I don't know what's changed under Glasner but he's turned into the complete centre forward.  Before he was a guy that could on a good day hold the ball up if it was played on the ground and get the odd goal (he wasn't great in the air as he used to mistime his jumps a lot).  He looks brilliant now, so much so that I'd expect him to be off next season if this carries on !
    tFB Trader

I don't know what's changed under Glasner but he's turned into the complete centre forward.  Before he was a guy that could on a good day hold the ball up if it was played on the ground and get the odd goal (he wasn't great in the air as he used to mistime his jumps a lot).  He looks brilliant now, so much so that I'd expect him to be off next season if this carries on !
    Just a hunch, but sometimes a player and the style of football the team plays, suits each other - As such you are better being a star at CP than a bench warmer in a top 6 elite club - No point in leaving CP for say Brighton, Fulham, Bournemouth as on the whole you are all on a similar level (don't mean that in a  negative way) - Palace can build an attack around him - You don't see Liverpool, Man City etc doing that 

Just a hunch, but sometimes a player and the style of football the team plays, suits each other - As such you are better being a star at CP than a bench warmer in a top 6 elite club - No point in leaving CP for say Brighton, Fulham, Bournemouth as on the whole you are all on a similar level (don't mean that in a  negative way) - Palace can build an attack around him - You don't see Liverpool, Man City etc doing that 
    It’s a good point and we do seem to be playing a lot higher up now , wingbacks supporting the forwards too. Knowing our luck he’ll do a Benteke and have this scoring streak right before signing a fat new contract 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4728

True.  I bet if the manager was sacked they would suddenly improve for a while.  Which for me is a reason not to do so, we need to clear out any player who ever gives less than 100%, more than anything else.

I bet effort levels increase for the FA Cup.   If against the odds we actually win that I hope it doesn't paper over any cracks.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4911
    So Forest lose their appeal (surprise, surprise after the ref controversy the other week), still think it's all hokum until they finally actually deduct some points from Man City for even more egregious breaches. 

Easy to pick on the little guys innit.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2587

I can hear Wilf kicking himself all the way from Turkey. I feel that Glasner’s plan is to achieve football in Europe but it’ll take a season or two. It’s down to him to install the belief in our best players so they come along for the ride.

However being Palace fans we are always expecting the wheels to come off at some point so keeping my feet on the ground at the moment. That said, Glasner should get manager of the month without question.
    tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:
    So Forest lose their appeal (surprise, surprise after the ref controversy the other week), still think it's all hokum until they finally actually deduct some points from Man City for even more egregious breaches. 

Easy to pick on the little guys innit.
    Right to a degree - The more I've found out about the whole PL and FFP/PSR is that once the format was introduced, no one asked what the punishment would be - The 20 clubs in the PL are the shareholders and vote accordingly for changes and rules - No chief executive of any club actually said if we break PSR rules then what is the punishment - Then when Everton were first brought to 'court' then the PL realised they had no clear cut set of 'punishment' - So make it up as you go along - Furthermore, so far Everton twice and Notts Forest have appeared, or will appear, against a review committee to discuss the punishment - Yet somewhat surprisingly, no committee has been the same twice - Surely you need the same 'judges' to evaluate such issues to sing of the same hymn sheet 

I've said it before - The Man City and indeed Chelsea case is massively different - They have not exactly broken PSR rules - But this is more today with exploitation and evasion - Not to similar to tax evasion - To many channels to hunt down to effectively  see where they have achieved this - Be it the over 'sponsorship' of the stadium by Etihad in order to inflate funds income - As we know Etihad and Sheikh Mansour are one and the same - Add to that many 'reports' of additional funds paid to Pep, agents etc coming direct from Abu Dhabi in order to keep the main Man City account within the appropriate threshold - But looks like it is hard to prove such facts - They are just boxing more clever, with appropriate lawyers and accountants, than the PL can defend with 

With potential changes to kick in, ready for the 2025 season - Based on a spending cap - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13125832/premier-league-spending-cap-rules-explained-what-might-clubs-be-allowed-to-spend-from-the-2025-26-season - Interesting that Man City voted against this - I'm not sure why, as currently they just exploit any rules, so can easily do the same again 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1097
    Quietly confident going into our game vs Utd on Sunday. After watching them last night I think it's the worst team I've ever seen in all my years following football. Casemiro must have been on some bribe to give them some goals or something haha.