0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14853
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:
    Jesus… what’s Rice doing he’s gonna get a ban
    Missed it - Loo break - What happened 
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 1013
    My thoughts - not expecting anyone to read....just wanted to get it out. I've been watching football since the early 90's. I am Welsh and a Wrexham fan but do try to give credit where credits due. 

It's unfortunate that today media and analysis has to take the shape of one line attention grabbing - it's not helpful to the discussion of what are often more detailed and subtle problems.... instead we get hysteria and over simplified problems and solutions..... this is an issue for politics, football, music.... everything....

Marc Guehi has been Englands best player in the tournament so far. Thats not really contestable I'd have thought.....

It's interesting how the pressure of playing for England impacts on this squad. I think one of Southgate's real achievements has been creating a more cohesive, positive environment. But that seems to have gone out the window this tournament. I wonder why...... You can make an argument for changing 2/3 players but this is a quality group - why do they seem less able to play to their potential in an England shirt? That really has to be looked at and addressed. It's been a problem and a major barrier for 20/30 years. I am going to say that club football now far over shadows international football in England. I think - shocking as it is to say it - the reward to risk ratio is too great.....the expectations on a Foden or a Rice are massive compared to club level and the tension shows. 

I think it's clear that England really need a player or two who will run in behind - doesn't have to be a striker.... can be wide players or a 10/midfielder....Foden, Saka, Bellingham and Kane are all fine players - but no one plays on the shoulder - it's vital to stretch the game and make room to play.... to my mind England faired better with Sterling and Rashford wide -  players who'd run off the ball 

thats my next point - you've got to fit the players into the system not vice versa - Englands current front 4 are arguably better than the front 4 at the last two tournaments -  but not as well suited to the style of play..... so the players have to be changed to the system or the system has to change to suit the players - That game was crying out for Anthony Gordon - some one with pace who runs well off the ball.....

Only taking one left back - and one who hasn't played and is unfit is INSANE! I think Tripper is a solid player, positionally, technically and mentally -  but I feel for him sometimes - having. to come back inside on. his right all the time....nightmare. There are lots of options -  Tyrick Mitchell, Rico Henry to name two of the untried..... it's not like we dont know Shaw has issues with injury..... wtf? 

I think as long as I've been watching England they have never really had a midfield that can control a game or the tempo of a game - and thats despite having many of the best midfielders of the best 30 years...... a player who gets on the ball and keeps possession/sets the tempo -  they have had loads of players who can do it - some of the best in fact - but successive managers dont seem to see the value in that style of players - I would play Manioo alongside Rice. Foden at 10 and Gordon and Saka on the flanks.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2408
    A really dreadful game by England. A moment of brilliance saved us. 
    edited June 30 tFB Trader
    rze99 said:
    Trying to work out the difference between brilliance and luck 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    FS I turned the game off to go make dinner and then they scored the 2 goals!

Great overhead kick by Bellingham (even though he did shin it). Good impact from Toney to flick it on for Kane's goal.

But need to do a lot lot better as if they play like that against the Swiss they'll get destroyed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I bet Gareth is thinking nothing wrong with Plan A  - so we’ll know what is coming v the Swiss
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1262

Great overhead kick by Bellingham (even though he did shin it). Good impact from Toney to flick it on for Kane's goal.

But need to do a lot lot better as if they play like that against the Swiss they'll get destroyed.
    Proper fan eh.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1451

It's interesting how the pressure of playing for England impacts on this squad. I think one of Southgate's real achievements has been creating a more cohesive, positive environment.- the reward to risk ratio is too great.....the expectations on a Foden or a Rice are massive compared to club level and the tension shows. 

That game was crying out for Anthony Gordon - some one with pace who runs well off the ball.....

Only taking one left back - and one who hasn't played and is unfit is INSANE! I think Tripper is a solid player, positionally, technically and mentally -  but I feel for him sometimes - 

I would play Manioo alongside Rice. Foden at 10 and Gordon and Saka on the flanks.....
    Agree to most of that. England do not run at defences and dont want to dribble past anyone in attack.   Gordon and saka on the flanks is what arsenal want and i dont blame them. Im amazed the team isnt built around that, with boat load of central options to choose from in attack.  There is a case for trippier at LB if gordon is on the pitch. There is team familarity there. Not feeling foden during this tournament at all. Mainoo and gordon look like they connected very well in the few mins last game. Same ethos, not afraid to have the ball, dribble and run at defences.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    S56035 said:

Proper fan eh.
    Lol. Wouldn't really call myself a fan but as default I do follow England in the major tournaments.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4701
    England are shit housing their way to the final. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2043
    England are shit  
    Edited for accuracy
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28070
    rze99 said:
    When England do it, it’s brilliance.

When the other team do it, it’s luck.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    rze99 said:
    When England do it, it’s brilliance.

When the other team do it, it’s luck.
    Think I follow that
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28070
    Georgia, wow!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    England think they have problems 
    what about the poor useless overrated Spanish team
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1424
    rze99 said:

Qualified easily, struggled in every game . Hype gets to them?

But you need a bit of luck as well I think. Italy fluked their way out of their group with a brilliant goal against Croatia, but got found out yesterday- England might get found out eventually but with a bit of luck....
    A lot of internatioal teams are dreadful, they just don't live up to the hype. Italy for example, and I would include England for now...

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1424
    England think they have problems 
    what about the poor useless overrated Spanish team
    Up until now, they've been anything but over rated.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Georgia, wow!
    Anyway 
    back to serious matters 

what is happening with Gray to Spurs and we get Skipp Rodon and a hefty bunch of cash
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3207
    Well, the England game was as expected. Tense against a very good Slovakian side. Extra time predicted but thankfully we avoided penalties. 

Well done England, bring on the Swiss!