The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5365
    Kanes distribution is amazing but he doesn’t bring enough energy or movement to the team, no chance of Gareth “the reckless” dropping him though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 1025
    That young Turkish winger who moved to Madrid - Arda. Guler looks a decent player, confident, off the cuff, good technique.......but I think Turkey will suit England - they're open and attacking, they leave space, they dont really group up behind the ball. As long as England don't freeze (and thats a big if I know lol)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5365
    That young Turkish winger who moved to Madrid - Arda. Guler looks a decent player, confident, off the cuff, good technique.......but I think Turkey will suit England - they're open and attacking, they leave space, they dont really group up behind the ball. As long as England don't freeze (and thats a big if I know lol)
    Seeing as England are playing Holland playing Turkey would be a disaster
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3235
    Growing into the tournament, peaking at the right time.

We'll beat the Dutch and then it might get a bit tougher against Spain in the final. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28221
    PhilW1 said:
    Kanes like our Ronaldo but without the free kicks, just hangin around waiting for a tap in, managers scared to drop them.
    That's not as unfair as I'd like it to be.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    I'm just glad I haven't got to write a quiz to run on Wednesday evening. Hurrah!

Disappointed turkey went out but I'm now a Netherlands fan which should put me happily in a position of contrariness which I'm sure I'll enjoy
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4706
    England are shit housing their way to the final. 
    Said it since the group stages
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7302

What does that actually mean though?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16552
    IIRC France haven't scored a goal from open play since arriving in Germany (penalty and own goals) so they must be super shit housing their way through. 
    I'd like to say England are devastating the competition, play attractive football and look certain to win but they aren't. However, they are progressing and that is what they are supposed to do. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16173
    It's a funny old game ,no? I was thinking about how England were booed off the park for their lacklustre game that sent them into the knock out stages and Scotland get cheered tae the rafters for getting a corner or an own goal.....you are too hard on them
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    It's a funny old game ,no? I was thinking about how England were booed off the park for their lacklustre game that sent them into the knock out stages and Scotland get cheered tae the rafters for getting a corner or an own goal.....you are too hard on them
    Shit, I missed that.

Scotland got a corner ????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16173
    :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15026
    tFB Trader
    It is a funny old game I agree - But we are used to seeing these players in good teams playing attractive football and expect the same - We want to be entertained as well as watching them win  - If our club sides played like that you'd soon see protests from the fans and you'd probably not see them in a top 4-6 place in the league table 

Look at Man U last season - Some very good players but many can't be arsed performance throughout the season - Some games better than others - Yet they won the fa cup with arguably their best game of the season 

I don't see an issue with asking my team to win and entertain - Especially with expectation attached to the players, the team and the manager - Many times they look clueless and certainly limping over the line - Each to their own 

I know it would not happen, but I believe that most top CL teams and indeed our top 3/4/5 PL teams would beat England - And I dare say this would apply across many other countries - RM would beat Spain - PSG would beat France - Man City would beat England - Not sure about BM and Germany - IM would beat Italy - 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7849
    That's kind of expected though. Clubs are limited only by their spending power...

Most International football is definitely a lower level than cl and also the top 4 or 5 leagues
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15026
    tFB Trader
    If England was a Netflix Box set with a load of big name actors, then most of us would have stopped watching by now

The main big name actor played no part in it. - There is no story line  - What story there is just keeps going back - The whole thing stutters along aimlessly - No action - But you are told the ending is epic - As I said most of us would have bailed out before the 1/2 mark
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    tony99 said:

What does that actually mean though?
    The Guardian to the rescue...
    Shithousery is a fairly nebulous term, taking in as it does pretty much all the dark arts employed on a football pitch – everything from diving to headbutting via haranguing the referee and time-wasting. Generally, in its most simple guise, shithousery is an attempt to gain an advantage by unfair means and therefore it has existed around football for a long time.
    If England was a Netflix Box set with a load of big name actors, then most of us would have stopped watching by now

The main big name actor played no part in it. - There is no story line  - What story there is just keeps going back - The whole thing stutters along aimlessly - No action - But you are told the ending is epic - As I said most of us would have bailed out before the 1/2 mark
    But it isn't.

This is international tournament football and Southgate has done an awesome job. 

We haven't hit top gear yet. It might not happen. But we also might not need to.

However, at some stage it could all come together. We could play like Brazil of '82.

But let's be careful of what we wish for. Right now let's get the job done. Two games left, two boring, frustrating 1-0's will suit me just fine.

Going out to the Netherlands playing like Brazil of' 82, no thanks. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1101
    This tournament and its eventual winner will be forgotten by next year.
    This tournament and its eventual winner will be forgotten by next year.
    If England win it, there's not a chance of that with 2 years to go before the World Cup.

Just seen on BBC that nearly 14m watched the Quarter Final. That's even though we haven't been playing well. Admittedly 13m of those could be England haters who just want to watch England lose, but nevertheless more millions likely for the semis and final if we get there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/crgld39lg4no
    Shrews said:

We haven't hit top gear yet. 
    Whilst that's true, it'd be nice to manage to get out of neutral and into any gear at all ...