The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25106
    This tournament and its eventual winner will be forgotten by next year.
    Are you anticipating war with Russia? 

In my experience a lot of football fans have memories like elephants.  "Remember that free kick in the 1983 FA Cup semi-final?" someone will say... and the answer will be "Yes".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Unless England win it.

In which case, we'll have replays of the winning penalty for the next 58 years ...

(58 years ago being 1966).

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    JezWynd said:
    tony99 said:
    England are shit housing their way to the final. 

What does that actually mean though?
    The Guardian to the rescue...
    Shithousery is a fairly nebulous term, taking in as it does pretty much all the dark arts employed on a football pitch – everything from diving to headbutting via haranguing the referee and time-wasting. Generally, in its most simple guise, shithousery is an attempt to gain an advantage by unfair means and therefore it has existed around football for a long time.
    Yeah that's what I've always sort of understood it as: basically being snides.

I wouldn't really say England are doing that though.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    edited July 7
    tony99 said:

You have played some horrible to watch football , but yet your winning games 

Southgate has been absolutely slated but yet what he has done, by luck or design , has got you all the way to the semis 
    As a said earlier in this thread , would you rather attractive , attacking , pleasing in the eye football or would you rather be 90/120 mins away from the final? 

I’m Scottish btw and I know I would have taken Scotland being awful to watch and winning games , as it was we were awful to watch and didn’t win games. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    TTony said:
    Shrews said:

We haven't hit top gear yet. 
    Whilst that's true, it'd be nice to manage to get out of neutral and into any gear at all ...
    'Nice to' yes, but definitely not a must for me.

14m watched knowing we would likely play awful. 14m didn't watch for thrilling football, they watched for the result and the drama. The result in tournament international football is all important, how you play is just a 'nice to have'.

Different in club football where for 10 months of the year you choose a team to support and hand over you hard earned. Entertainment is king, with grinding out results occasionally necessary. Nobody want to watch boring football 10 months of the year.

But for 7 games in a tournament winning is all important. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    TTony said:
    Unless England win it.

In which case, we'll have replays of the winning penalty for the next 58 years ...

(58 years ago being 1966).

And so it is with any other country who has won a tournament. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Shrews said:
    TTony said:
    Shrews said:

We haven't hit top gear yet. 
    Whilst that's true, it'd be nice to manage to get out of neutral and into any gear at all ...
    'Nice to' yes, but definitely not a must for me.

14m watched knowing we would likely play awful. 14m didn't watch for thrilling football, they watched for the result and the drama. The result in tournament international football is all important, how you play is just a 'nice to have'.

Different in club football where for 10 months of the year you choose a team to support and hand over you hard earned. Entertainment is king, with grinding out results occasionally necessary. Nobody want to watch boring football 10 months of the year.

But for 7 games in a tournament winning is all important. 
    You maybe right and maybe that is why I (like many) are club first country second 
    tony99 said:

You have played some horrible to watch football , but yet your winning games 

Southgate has been absolutely slated but yet what he has done, by luck or design , has got you all the way to the semis 
    As a said earlier in this thread , would you rather attractive , attacking , pleasing in the eye football or would you rather be 90/120 mins away from the final? 

I’m Scottish btw and I know I would have taken Scotland being awful to watch and winning games , as it was we were awful to watch and didn’t win games. 
    I don't think that's shit housing though to be honest which is why I asked what it means.

I'm no england supporter anyway; I like it when they go far into tournaments  because the inevitable fall out is hilarious. 

Southgate gets far too much stick for what he's been able to deliver with the national team though. Still unless he wins a trophy it's all moot
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
    edited July 7
    The conclusion is international football is awful to watch in general. Players are getting flogged for marketing and tv viewing purposes. I'd say half of them are burned out at this stage. It's not that England, and France maybe, are "shithousing" their way through the tournament. It's that most of the games have been rubbish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1167
    The conclusion is international football is awful to watch in general. Players are getting flogged for marketing and tv viewing purposes. I'd say half of them are burned out at this stage. It's not that England, and France maybe, are "shithousing" their way through the tournament. It's that most of the games have been rubbish.

It's been like this for a long, long time.
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 478
    Most of the group games were pretty exciting IMO
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I remember Euro 88. 8 teams in it. Any one of them could have won the tournament. I think 16 teams would be enough. Go straight to last 8, maybe it would increase the quality.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    I remember Euro 88. 8 teams in it. Any one of them could have won the tournament. I think 16 teams would be enough. Go straight to last 8, maybe it would increase the quality.
    Sadly seems to be FiFa & Uefa's goal to play as many tourament games as possible..  I guess more teams = more fans = more money, but I think both WC and Euros are bloated now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Teetonetal bloated is the word alright. They did the same thing with the Champions League. What was wrong with the old European Cup. League winners play each other in Europe. The rest go into what was the UEFA cup, and the Cup Winners Cup.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    It's just capitalism guys, it's where the money is made
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1167
    As @Shrews has said, plenty of people are tuning in. Whether they're actively watching the games is another thing, but it keeps bringing in the money, even though the overriding opinion seems to be that the quality is poor.
    Half the time I’m tuning in because I am led to believe I am missing out otherwise.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    So Spain to win tonight - I hope - Would like to see a good game so I'm entertained - The dream would be Spain win in style 3-0 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    I'm just hoping for a game that will keep me awake. The tournament so far hasn't been earth-shatteringly entertaining.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    I'm just hoping for a game that will keep me awake. The tournament so far hasn't been earth-shatteringly entertaining.
    It's been a footballfest worthy of the gods!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom