The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1282
    TTony said:
    I'm told from "a source close to the camp" that we're in for a few surprises tonight, with the team being "released" and told to play dynamic, fluid, attacking, risk-taking football.

Pickford in goal, obviously.

Then a 3-2-3-2 formation with;
    1. Back3 of Walker (RCB), Stones (MCB), Guehi (LCB)
    2. DMs Rice & Mainoo with Rice slotting back alongside Stones if necessary, Walker & Guehi then moving further out R/L respectively
    3. AMs Eze, Kane & Foden, Eze more centrally, Foden primarily on the right but coming in centrally when there's the opportunity.  Kane brought back to spread the passes out to whoever's in front of him.
    4. Front 2 of Saka & Watkins
    Any player who doesn't finish the game with a positive ratio of forward : sideways/backwards passes has to re-watch every England game from the tournament 3 times.

Palmer & Bowen come on at HT (whatever the score) just for the WTF effect.  Gordon comes on mid-way through the 2nd half, though the game is all over by then.

I'm also told, from the same "source close to the camp" that Southgate was kidnapped by aliens a couple of days ago, and replaced with a look-a-like who believes that football should entertain the fans.

I we line up like this I will donate £10 to the forum fund!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28221
    S56035 said:
    I we line up like this I will donate £10 to the forum fund!
    I'll donate £50 to the aliens, with a request that they don't send him back
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1545
    edited July 10
    Tough one to call this. 
    Fans wise and atmosphere, the dutch are flooding the city. Could feel like an away game for England.
    Dutch team have shown some good recovery vs turkey and competent football that could give a game to spain no probs.

Pressure is on england. 
    Fact remains.. a fair bit of luck has brought england into the semi finals and its a step down from previous few years for sure.
    Still think kane, forden have been meh in the tournament.
    On the plus side their recent "find a way to win" aspect of the game probably gives confidence at least.

Southgates mistake in this tournament is not playing gordon, he will do on the left what saka does on the right, run at opposition, cross or into pen area at speed, or slap one in themselves.  Arsenal know this and all over that prospect for 24/25. 
    If he does play gordon then i can see the dutch crumbling and kane putting in a few from  the crosses/rebounds and the dutch just overwhelmed with those wingers and leaving holes in the midfield for england to capitalise. But it wont happen.

Sorry england fans, but i think its a 2-1 to the dutch after 90 mins given all of the above. 

Dont worry, be silly.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15026
    tFB Trader
    I'm going brave - 3-2 win for us and coming back from 2-0 down - Don't worry, I'll wake up from this dream soon 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4672
    My youngest made an England flag at school but got her tenses wrong so it says Came On England. 

Now in the window : )
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1146
    Can see this going to another ET and penalties. The Dutch are no slouches though and can play good football. 

Hard to predict, depends what side Southgate puts out, I expect him to use the same lineup.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9771
    Whatever, the outcome, it will be a night of colour tonight...

ANd that Dutch orange brings so many memories; Cruff and that 1974 team, Ari Hahn, Neskins (spelling ?), the '78 final via Argentina. etc etc.

Very close tonight, but I think they will edge it.
    tFB Trader
    See Jimmy Floyd Haskebank is coaching the England players for penalties 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24215
    edited July 10
    Hasselbaink. ;)  Conflict of interest!  But I guess it's too late for him to un-coach them.
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Hasselbaink. ;)  Conflict of interest!  But I guess it's too late for him to un-coach them.
    Or tell them one thing and update the Dutch management after 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    I reckon 1-1 or 0-0 at half time, we score early 2nd half, lots of pressure and us sitting too deep and then we score another late on.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16552
    The Germans apparently see the Dutch as their great rivals at football so conceivably any of them in the crowd might be cheering England. 
    Conceivably…
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7302
    Well sorry lads but I haven't had my lucky England vindaloo tonight; that worked last time.

Hopefully having a player called Declan Rice is enough.

Up the 'gland!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2438
    TTony said:
    I'm told from "a source close to the camp" that we're in for a few surprises tonight, with the team being "released" and told to play dynamic, fluid, attacking, risk-taking football.

Pickford in goal, obviously.

Then a 3-2-3-2 formation with;
    1. Back3 of Walker (RCB), Stones (MCB), Guehi (LCB)
    2. DMs Rice & Mainoo with Rice slotting back alongside Stones if necessary, Walker & Guehi then moving further out R/L respectively
    3. AMs Eze, Kane & Foden, Eze more centrally, Foden primarily on the right but coming in centrally when there's the opportunity.  Kane brought back to spread the passes out to whoever's in front of him.
    4. Front 2 of Saka & Watkins
    Any player who doesn't finish the game with a positive ratio of forward : sideways/backwards passes has to re-watch every England game from the tournament 3 times.

Palmer & Bowen come on at HT (whatever the score) just for the WTF effect.  Gordon comes on mid-way through the 2nd half, though the game is all over by then.

I'm also told, from the same "source close to the camp" that Southgate was kidnapped by aliens a couple of days ago, and replaced with a look-a-like who believes that football should entertain the fans.

So far so good 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1146
    Great strike from Simons.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    Oh cock.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2438
    What a finish. Here is what it’s a good idea to have a tall goalkeeper. Pickford too short for that pace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1545
    rze99 said:
    What a finish. Here is what it’s a good idea to have a tall goalkeeper. Pickford too short for that pace. 
    He could have saved that. Arms were bent as it went past him, not full stretched and plenty of time to see it.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7302
    edited July 10
    swiller said:
    rze99 said:
    He could have saved that. Arms were bent as it went past him, not full stretched and plenty of time to see it.
    Don't talk soft. Pace of that, no keeper stopping it
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    Don't think that was a penalty but it's payback for 1993.