The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    edited July 11
    GuyBoden said:
    Nobody will care about how they played as long as they win.  Southgate will get knight and Kane will be an OBE.

Kane should be dropped from the final. He looks slow, probably injured.
    He should be dropped but Southgate won't do that, he is still playing Trippier as left wing back.  Because he is the Captain...if they win, he will get the credit and an OBE.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15023
    tFB Trader
    Maybe a bit of revenge last night for England and that debatable penalty for Kane  - When you go back to 1994 and Koeman's involvement with a 2-0 Dutch win and that 'penalty + red card' v David Platt - 2 wrongs don't or shouldn't make a right but maybe what goes around comes around 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    Caught the second half. It was notable that for most of the time that England had possession the game moved at a crawl with the backs tapping the ball back and forth across the pitch while they probed the (effective) Dutch defence. While on the few occasions the Dutch gained possession the game tempo upped markedly as they surged forward. Whatever, the last minute goal was a beautiful strike that almost wiped from memory England's very average second half performance.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1146
    First half was good, Foden moving inside and getting the ball and turning was what we see him do a City. The Dutch sussed this and switched their formation in the 2nd and it was back to the same old passing sideways 'safe' football. 

The two subs combined for the goal so credit to Southgate for bringing them on but I wish he'd make subs a lot earlier. 

Spain will be a different test as they play better football, their two wingers will give England's full back a hard time. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32237
    Nobody will care about how they played as long as they win.  Southgate will get knight and Kane will be an OBE.

My wife and I have been calling Kane "Sir Harry" for years, and only half jokingly as it has an inevitability about it. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7302
    Maybe a bit of revenge last night for England and that debatable penalty for Kane  - When you go back to 1994 and Koeman's involvement with a 2-0 Dutch win and that 'penalty + red card' v David Platt - 2 wrongs don't or shouldn't make a right but maybe what goes around comes around 
    That was 1993, and there was no red card
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    That was 1993, and there was no red card
    I thought it was 1994 - But you are right it was 1993 and it cost us a place in the 94 WC - But it should have been a red card - That was my point hence my use of inverted commas - It probably was a penalty but no var then so debatable but no debate on the red card - And only a few mins later Koeman scores the winning goal from a free kick 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4971
    p90fool said:

My wife and I have been calling Kane "Sir Harry" for years, and only half jokingly as it has an inevitability about it. 
    From my son last night:  "Harry Kane has been standing still for so long that Easter Islanders have started worshipping him"...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16551
    edited July 12
    Just noticed that Madness have a gig on Sunday and are playing their set early so the whole crowd can watch the match on the screen together. There's a tribute act festival thing near me on Sunday that they are now going to finish all the bands by 8pm and have a giant screen up for the fans. 
    I'm sure lots of these type of things happening, adding to the sense of historical occasion. 
    Can I also point out that England won the world cup following a landslide election for Labour? No, I'll keep that thought to myself then. 
    Edit: branches of Tesco Express to close early on Sunday so staff can watch the match. Again, must be loads of these examples. Sat at home watching the matches with the dog I feel I am missing out on the sense of occasion and should be watching it in a field somewhere. Perhaps I’ll stand in the front garden and watch the TV through the window. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4006

Can I also point out that England won the world cup following a landslide election for Labour?
    I used to like you.
    tFB Trader
    If (can't make it any bigger than that, so it stays as if) we win, should Monday be a bank holiday - It doesn't make any difference to me (the bank holiday that is) if we win - I won't be drinking enough that I need a day off - I won't be driving  around town all night pipping my horn - I'll be glad if we win but I don't need a day of work to celebrate
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24212
    If (can't make it any bigger than that, so it stays as if) we win, should Monday be a bank holiday - It doesn't make any difference to me (the bank holiday that is) if we win - I won't be drinking enough that I need a day off - I won't be driving  around town all night pipping my horn - I'll be glad if we win but I don't need a day of work to celebrate
    Not this Monday, it's too short notice.  A lot of people will be taking the day off anyway, win or lose - be that holiday, off sick, or WFH.  But maybe there should be an extra bank holiday in due course.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5266
    When do the Euros start again? couldn't find any info online about it.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
    sev112 said:
    Well said. Koeman should not have been on the pitch 
    To score that second goal!  A bit of commupance methinks 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19801
    edited July 13
    Imagine the vocal delivery yourself for maximum effect

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1545
    enjoying the 1966 WC final on channel 4.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24842
    Vuelve a casa, vuelve a casa, ya viene, el fútbol vuelve a casa!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    Looking forward to the final, technically on my self imposed rules I should support England but I also allow myself the veto if England become the team I have to follow. I think I shall abstain from supporting either side and just hope to see a good competitive match, and hopefully an entertaining one. 
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24842
    I'll watch the match but from this moment on, no matter what I do, England will lose.... 

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."