Bands you used to love back in the day but can't listen to now

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 11686
I find it a bit sad when I fall out of love with a band I'd previously adored, but that can be the nature of love I guess.  Let me set the ball rolling (ahem):

• The Rolling Stones
  • The Doors
Can't listen to either of them these days,.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    There’s a few indie bands I never listen to anymore, ash, cast, Travis spring to mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7222
    edited June 2022
    Snap!  (Stones, Doors) There are also a few others for me, but I will have to go through the CDs on the bottom shelf of my rack to remember what ones they are.  I threw away dozens a few months ago after giving them another listening to and saying "Nah!".
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I wouldn't say I dislike it as such but there is a lot of music from my youth, often angst ridden stuff, that I simply can't relate to now that I'm in my 50s.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Led Zepellin
    Pink Floyd
    JJ72

(one of these things is not like the others..!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7222
    Robert Cray.  I used to love his playing and singing and even went to see him in concert, but now his syncopated stuttering guitar playing jangles my nerves.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Lost Prophets 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328
    Ryan Adams. Paul Draper. Same reasons sadly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    ELP
    Motorhead
    ACDC
    Japan
    Ted Nugent
    Status Quo

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Led Zepellin
    Pink Floyd
    JJ72

(one of these things is not like the others..!)
    Yeah Led Zep were always rubbish ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    SRV
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    All hair metal ... cept VH but then I never considered them hair metal 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    All those 80s and 90s bands that used chorus as if their lives depended on it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I used to listen to a lot of jazz/funk but I never get the urge to listen to it anymore.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    edited June 2022
    Status Quo. Their first 2 or 3 albums were good but they became same old same old 12 bar blues crap. A bit like England (aka London FC). Winging it since 66.

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    As mentioned in the comedically crap guitar playing thread, Vinnie Vincent Invasion.  I still like a lot of hair metal from those days, but some bands I like less than I did (e.g. Ratt), others I like more (e.g. Warrant).  The more schmaltzy, AOR stuff I now find hard to listen to.

I used to buy some blues and blues-rock stuff but wouldn't now, I find it very tedious.

I can't think of much else, but I probably have hundreds of albums I haven't listened to for 20 years that I wouldn't like if I played them now.  There might also be a few gems which would suddenly click for me now... but I doubt it.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    I struggle to listen to Queensryche, mainly because it's difficult to square the great lyrics with the asshat that Geoff Tate became - it just doesn't seem like it's the same person. Which is a bit shit, because they're about the only band whose lyrics I ever paid attention to.
    <space for hire>
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    I struggle to listen to Queensryche, mainly because it's difficult to square the great lyrics with the asshat that Geoff Tate became - it just doesn't seem like it's the same person. Which is a bit shit, because they're about the only band whose lyrics I ever paid attention to.
    I'm similar with Ted Nugent - I was never a huge fan and I guess he was always an asshat, but the person he is now puts me off his music.  I still think his early albums are good though...

I went off Queensryche once Chris DeGarmo left.  It may be a totally false impression, but it seemed to me that he was the real talent of the band.  They may have done great stuff since he left but I haven't wanted to listen to it.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Hendrix
    Deep Purple
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Whitesnake. Even the early stuff… I never liked them after the Marsden/Moody era anyway, but I can’t listen to any of it any more, Coverdale’s lyrics are mostly appalling.

Possibly ELP - I still have the ‘Best Of’ (with the pseudo Japanese cover) which I really like, but the original albums themselves are just full of so much pretentious corny drivel.

I can’t actually think of much else - if anything, I now like a lot of music that I didn’t at the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    Extreme.
     I was blown away by Nuno at the time, still am really, but I find the production on their albums to clinical and grating, especially the drums, as I've gotten older. The 80s was all about tight, over the top synth basses and gated snares etc, all quantized to death and those  production techniques were still floating around in the early 90s when the band were at their height.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"